Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Twice as many base points as expected ?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3, 2019, 2:51 pm
Original Poster

Twice as many base points as expected ?

Can anyone shed light on this ? I understand that you get 10 base points per $ spend. On my current work assignment, I stay in 3-4 different IHG hotels in a northern UK city (which shall remain nameless for the time being). My hotel bill is typically around 280 GBP for 3 nights (corporate rate). Typically get around 3,100 base points, which is in line with expectations.

For reasons unknown to me, I always get 20 base points at the Northern UK city Holiday Inn per $ - e.g. around 6,200 base points for the same spend. Looking back at previous stays (1st stay 6 months ago), this always seems to happen at this hotel, but I've only just noticed as the 4x multiplier really makes it stand out - I ended up with around 33,000 points for 280 GBP spend last week. I have just switched the next 6 weeks stay to this Holiday Inn to maximise this benefit.

Any ideas as to why this particular hotel is awarding twice as many base points as expected ? It is not one of the new ones (e.g. Vocos offering double points). For the avoidance of doubt, it is the base points that are higher than expected, nothing to do with bonuses etc.
Old Dec 3, 2019, 3:30 pm

All Holiday Inn's earn the same base points - including in Manchester - so it is a very peculiar situation. Must be fab with the 4x bonus indeed.
Definitely enjoy it whilst it lasts No such luck in Southern England
Old Dec 3, 2019, 4:07 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Lionheart
All Holiday Inn's earn the same base points - including in Manchester - so it is a very peculiar situation. Must be fab with the 4x bonus indeed.
Definitely enjoy it whilst it lasts No such luck in Southern England
It is an odd one. I slightly prefer the local Crowne Plaza or Indigo, but the extra points has swayed me to the HI (at least whilst the x4 multiplier is on).
Old Dec 3, 2019, 11:41 pm

Originally Posted by bolwin1
Can anyone shed light on this ? I understand that you get 10 base points per $ spend. On my current work assignment, I stay in 3-4 different IHG hotels in a northern UK city (which shall remain nameless for the time being). My hotel bill is typically around 280 GBP for 3 nights (corporate rate). Typically get around 3,100 base points, which is in line with expectations.

For reasons unknown to me, I always get 20 base points at the Northern UK city Holiday Inn per $ - e.g. around 6,200 base points for the same spend. Looking back at previous stays (1st stay 6 months ago), this always seems to happen at this hotel, but I've only just noticed as the 4x multiplier really makes it stand out - I ended up with around 33,000 points for 280 GBP spend last week. I have just switched the next 6 weeks stay to this Holiday Inn to maximise this benefit.

Any ideas as to why this particular hotel is awarding twice as many base points as expected ? It is not one of the new ones (e.g. Vocos offering double points). For the avoidance of doubt, it is the base points that are higher than expected, nothing to do with bonuses etc.
Lucky you : ) , sometimes the bonuses are added to the base points but that does not explain the multiplication of the whole thing for the 4x offer.so definitely some error on their part.
Old Dec 4, 2019, 11:31 am

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Happened to a couple of times in the US or in Asia. I just kept my mouth shut...
Old Dec 5, 2019, 1:19 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Probably just an unnoticed error. It would be just your luck for it to be noticed before your "6 weeks stay" (did you really mean that).

I wouldn't have switched hotels just because of this error but if the hotel is suitable anyway and you are not personally paying....
Old Dec 5, 2019, 11:38 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by :D!
Probably just an unnoticed error. It would be just your luck for it to be noticed before your "6 weeks stay" (did you really mean that).

I wouldn't have switched hotels just because of this error but if the hotel is suitable anyway and you are not personally paying....
I should have said 6 weeks @ 3 nights a week for accuracy & it's on company expenses. There's not much between the 2 hotels - better breakfast at one, slightly better location at the other etc. but for an extra 16,000 points for each 3 night stay, I didn't mind swapping the bookings over. As an extra bonus, the quidco cashback rate had changed from 6% to 9% when I rebooked

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.