Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Upcoming stays at IC SYD & LIS: Worth buying Ambassador?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15, 2019, 2:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Premier Silver, AA, DL, IHG Diamond Amb, Marriott Silver, Hilton Silver, National
Upcoming stays at IC SYD & LIS: Worth buying Ambassador?

Apologies for the length, but hoping for some expert advice from the Ambassadors among you about buying Ambassador status for upcoming trips.

We're looking at two international stays next year. The first is IC Sydney Australia (Macquarie Street) in March 2020. This is already booked for a four-night stay (2 nights points, 2 nights using our last over-35K free night stay on our IHG credit cards.) The stay will be over a Fri/Sat but my thought was to use points/free CC nights vs buying one night at >$300 in order to get a second night for free with AMB status.

The second stay, still under consideration, is for the IC Lisbon in October 2020. Three or four nights using 40K points/night, but not a stay over a weekend, so the free weekend night is not a player there.

Here's the Cliff's Notes on our situation:
-I'm IHG Spire Elite, wife is Plat
-We are usually Crowne Plaza people, not IC
-Both of us have the old IHG CC, so next year we will each have one free night per year, although I think unlikely to find anything at IC for 35K in the major cities where we travel.
-We each have plenty of IHG points, so conserving points is not a major consideration, just want to use them for maximum return

Given these circumstances:
1. Looking at just these trips, is there is any point in buying Ambassador status for myself early next year? If you're familiar with either/both of these hotels, are there likely to be upgrades and/or amenities that could be worth the $200?
2. Given that for both stays we currently plan to use points/free nights across both my account and my wife's, would the nights in my name be the only nights for which we might receive any special treatment?
3. If I decided to make the purchase, I assume that with a one-year term, it makes sense to buy it close to the first stay, no?
4. Any thoughts on which makes more sense: spending 130K points total for Fri & Sat "King Superior" room vs approx. $300 US for the same 2 nights in a "King Standard Cityside" room, after using the free weekend cert? As I'm looking at this in a new light, I'm starting to think the BOGO cert may be a better way to go, if I can still get the same upgraded room for all four nights in Sydney.

Many thanks in advance for any insight you may have.
Old Oct 15, 2019, 3:54 pm

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
No, purely as your nights/stays are non revenenue (ie not paid) nights so the guaranteed +1cat room upgrade is not an entitlement, and you seem to want to buy Amb for benefits while staying on non-paid basis

Whilst this does not mean an IC won't upgrade Ambassadors on an award/points/cc-free night, the IC is also almost as likely to upgrade a Spire Elite.
:D! likes this.
Old Oct 16, 2019, 12:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Premier Silver, AA, DL, IHG Diamond Amb, Marriott Silver, Hilton Silver, National
Thank you. I wasn't aware that the Amb upgrades & benefits are not applicable to non-revenue stays. That pretty much answers my question with a definite "No." Hopefully they will take pity on a lowly Spire elite.
Old Oct 17, 2019, 3:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by bob12403
Thank you. I wasn't aware that the Amb upgrades & benefits are not applicable to non-revenue stays. That pretty much answers my question with a definite "No." Hopefully they will take pity on a lowly Spire elite.
I thought one of the recent round of changes meant benefits were now given on award nights.

But I'm easily confused, and this is IHG

I can only comment on Lisbon. The lounge isn't up to much, unless you are completely wedded to the idea of lounges.
As for rooms, a strategically placed high-floor room at the front should give you a splendid view. Beware of suite upgrades: they have a habit of assigning large but dark side rooms on low floors with no view to speak of. Just let them know you would appreciate a view over the city.
Old Oct 17, 2019, 3:55 pm
Original Poster

IAN-UK, more very helpful information, thank you.

And adding this: somewhere in my dim brain I confused the Marriott 35K ceiling for credit card free night with the IHG ceiling, which I now realize is 40K. That just so happens to be the requirement for the IC Lisbon, so now it's a slam dunk to stay there for 2 nights on points, and two nights using our 2 free credit card nights. No Amb buyup this time around.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.