Wiki Posts
Search

Berlin Best IHG Properties

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7, 2019, 8:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
Originally Posted by tom tulpe
The buses will take you no further than Zoo station either.
It is easier however to hop on a bus as to go down to the U-Bahn
Old Sep 7, 2019, 11:04 pm

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by Flying Lawyer
You are aware that this Indigo is about 1 1/2 km away from KaDwE and is located on Hardenbergstraße, ain't you?
Thanks.Yes I used to live in Berlin. They can handle it, it's an easy stroll, no rush. Better then in and out of public transport ( U-Bahn). Stairs and such are the enemy. Walk a flat surface no issue.

The CP on Nürnberger Str is too crappy, so this is closest of the IHG options IIRC. IC sold out right now (and we need 3 rooms so not holding my breath).

Last edited by demue; Sep 7, 2019 at 11:15 pm
Old Sep 8, 2019, 12:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
Originally Posted by demue

The CP on Nürnberger Str is too crappy, so this is closest of the IHG options IIRC. IC sold out right now (and we need 3 rooms so not holding my breath).
The CP is no longer that bad. I used it on an occasion I could not get my 90 EUR rate at the IC but something in the 240 EUR. The room I got was very new, quite well sized and breakfast was not bad at all (for 70 EUR). I went to that place with the same feeling you mentioned (and I remember a bunch of Turkish and Arab staff a few years ago) but I was very pleasantly surprised (and now on my way to SIN)
Old Sep 8, 2019, 1:19 pm

Programs: Spire RA, 1865 Voyager, Bonvoy Titanium, FB LP, LH SEN.
Originally Posted by Flying Lawyer
The CP is no longer that bad. I used it on an occasion I could not get my 90 EUR rate at the IC but something in the 240 EUR. The room I got was very new, quite well sized and breakfast was not bad at all (for 70 EUR). I went to that place with the same feeling you mentioned (and I remember a bunch of Turkish and Arab staff a few years ago) but I was very pleasantly surprised (and now on my way to SIN)
Certainly agree to that. Renovated rooms are decent enough. Extraordinary spire benefits.
Old Sep 8, 2019, 2:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
Good to know for the future. I will report back as to how the Indigo East Side is.
Old Sep 8, 2019, 8:37 pm

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Ahh, good to know about the CP. For the night in question they are asking 180€ for the CP for the base level room even on our corporate rate. Given we need 3 rooms the Indigo with 100€ rate is more palatable in addition to having an edge in my mind over the CP
Old Sep 18, 2019, 3:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Hotel Indigo East Side Gallery

I had a very nice stay in this hotel, with a room that was large and comfortable enough. I really liked the choice of lighting in the room, with several types of nightlight and a guidance light for going to the bathroom in the night. Staff were very nice and recognized all elite benefits, offering drinks for both myself and partner in the rooftop bar (sometimes hotels offer a drink chit for only one person, which is annoying, but I don't really mind because some other hotels throw far more in the way of benefits at you. So it's swings and roundabouts).

The location is excellent and the bus 300, a relatively new route, brings you quickly from the center of Berlin. Across the street from the hotel is a lengthy section of preserved Berlin Wall, with pop art paintings and graffiti on it, making it ... the East Side Gallery. Nearby is Schlesisches Tor, which is a sub neighbourhood built around the U-Bahn station of the same name. The U-Bahn here runs above ground, along a metallic trackway over the street a bit like the Schwebebahn in Wuppertal, and just vaguely reminiscent of the film Metropol. There is no end of choice of eating joints around there (I found an excellent Indian place), including an open air joint called Burgermeister which does amazing burgers, in a renovated public toilet in the middle of the street under the metallic U-Bahn overhead trackway.

Back at the hotel, I didn't like the rooftop bar much and did not linger after my drink. They played the wrong sort of music (almost rap, mixed with something) a bit too loud and I didn't much like the crowd it attracted, a sort of young, highly moneyed and palpably arrogant hipster type, light years away from what Berlin used to be like just a few small years ago. But that's just me, everyone else would probably have enjoyed it well enough. Definitely a good hotel, in conclusion.
Old Nov 23, 2019, 5:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Any feelings or feedback about the Hotel Indigo Alexanderplatz? Out of all the IHG hotels in Berlin, it is the only one to get a mention in Lonely Planet Berlin (and Lonely Planet is pretty good a recommending hotels IMO).

My other option is the Intercontinental which is going for €90-100 when I want to be there, which is an excellent rate for an IC. I have no doubt that hotel is excellent, although I am truly not crazy about the Intercontinental brand (I find it too variable and I have never had a good night's sleep at an Intercontinental).
Old Nov 23, 2019, 11:48 pm

Originally Posted by Concerto
Any feelings or feedback about the Hotel Indigo Alexanderplatz? Out of all the IHG hotels in Berlin, it is the only one to get a mention in Lonely Planet Berlin (and Lonely Planet is pretty good a recommending hotels IMO).

My other option is the Intercontinental which is going for €90-100 when I want to be there, which is an excellent rate for an IC. I have no doubt that hotel is excellent, although I am truly not crazy about the Intercontinental brand (I find it too variable and I have never had a good night's sleep at an Intercontinental).
I‘ve been there and also live in Berlin. Friendly staff,
tiny rooms and though the breakfast is good, it is miles away from the offering at IC Berlin. The IC plays on another level in virtually every aspect. Location wise it is a bit tricky, as it really depends on where you want to go in Berlin. That being said, the Indigo is not a bad hotel at all, it is quite nice actually. However, personally I would prefer the IC anytime.
Old Nov 24, 2019, 9:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

But is the IC Berlin really such a good property? I have tended to be disappointed by most IC hotels and haven't slept well in them (don't know why). The IC Malta, on the other hand, really over-recognized my Platinum status and gave me a slew of benefits and freebies I did not expect. This I do not expect in Germany, at any hotel. And in Germany usually the free drink benefit is stingily offered only to myself and not to my guest/partner.

I've got 3 nights, so I might go for 2 at the Indigo and 1 at the IC at the end! However, prices are similar (€79 for the Indigo, €87 for the IC, except on the last night when it hits €100).
Old Nov 24, 2019, 11:47 am

Originally Posted by Concerto
But is the IC Berlin really such a good property? I have tended to be disappointed by most IC hotels and haven't slept well in them (don't know why). The IC Malta, on the other hand, really over-recognized my Platinum status and gave me a slew of benefits and freebies I did not expect. This I do not expect in Germany, at any hotel. And in Germany usually the free drink benefit is stingily offered only to myself and not to my guest/partner.

I've got 3 nights, so I might go for 2 at the Indigo and 1 at the IC at the end! However, prices are similar (€79 for the Indigo, €87 for the IC, except on the last night when it hits €100).
Oh, please excuse me as I thought you were an IHG Ambassador member. So I don't have any experiences as a "pure" IHG Plat without the Amb. Apparently there are some differences, because I always got 2 drink vouchers for the Helene Bar which included also Cocktails (thx to Spire Status). In your case I wouldn't expect too much as well (but of course I am happy to be proven wrong)
Old Nov 24, 2019, 12:16 pm

By now, IC Berlin has canceled the drink voucher anyway.
Old Nov 24, 2019, 3:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

It's funny how inconsistent it all is, because other IC hotels are really generous with elite benefits, such as the one in Malta.
The thing that is putting me off the Indigo Alexanderplatz is the small size of the rooms. Otherwise, it sounds nice enough and Indigo is pretty good with all those free drinks.

Looking further upthread, some posters said that the Crowne Plaza (I presume the one of Nürnberger Str) is very good these days.
Old Nov 24, 2019, 7:23 pm

Originally Posted by Cielito_
By now, IC Berlin has canceled the drink voucher anyway.
Sounds like IC Vienna, explanation gives was that we get the 15€ for AMB. Erm, hello the drinks vouchers are for IHG Rewards (Gold/ Platinum/ Spire) and not tied to AMB. WTH.

As I made a bit of noise, I was given two welcome drink vouchers good for any drink at IC Vienna which we used for two glasses of Rose Champagne. Still a sneaky way to save.
Old Nov 25, 2019, 1:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

So you can be sure the so-called rules at any IC in Germany will be applied with exacting detail. As I say, IC hotels don't really rock my boat, there's something not quite right about them (just look at all the reported problems at the IC Barclay in New York for one example, although that was one of the few ICs that I actually liked). I suspect Regent is the best of the luxury brands at IHG these days.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.