Community
Wiki Posts
Search

IHG to Eliminate toiletries single use across all brands

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31, 2019, 3:54 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by RoxyMountain
The one I saw had a replaceable bag like this in it. It was not this specific bag but similar. I don't see how it would be possible to tamper with it.

That seems like a good solution. The nozzle gets changed each time the bag is changed, rather than getting gunked up over time. It does have the disadvantage of looking less classy, which might offend some people.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 3:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by serpens
That seems like a good solution. The nozzle gets changed each time the bag is changed, rather than getting gunked up over time. It does have the disadvantage of looking less classy, which might offend some people.
That image is of the liquid itself, not the casing that individual owners are free to customize to their hearts' content (e.g. could even be solid gold if you fancy).
writerguyfl likes this.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 4:49 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Global Entry
If you're scared of semen in the soap, you probably shouldn't stay at a hotel at all
DutchessPDX likes this.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 5:52 pm

Originally Posted by Super Mario
If you're scared of semen in the soap, you probably shouldn't stay at a hotel at all
One scan of a room with a black light would keep most people home.

TD
wrp96 likes this.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 6:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by serpens
It was incased in a container mounted on a wall. I only saw it as the front of the container popped open accidentally.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 7:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by RoxyMountain
IHG is moving forward with this change throughout the chain. Sates and Countries are banning single use toiletries in hotels. I expect they will have plenty of options to chose from that will address the infinitesimally small threat of tampering.
All I’ll say is that it makes me happy I’m not married to a hotel chain. I like Kimpton and will stay with them in the absence of other good options. However I refuse to use multi-use soaps/shampoos. I always carry my own minis for just such an emergency.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 8:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by JANNIEB123
I have made a habit of saving the bottles and donating them to a local women's shelter for several years now. Always felt it was something they could use - guess I can look for other ways to help now!
we do this too for fire customs etc but Red Cross only wants cash now - they don’t like to sort through donations and of course they like cash to pay their staff.

Old Jul 31, 2019, 8:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by Boraxo

we do this too for fire victims etc but Red Cross only wants cash now - they don’t like to sort through donations and of course they like cash to pay their staff.

Old Aug 1, 2019, 2:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
Surely the better way for higher end hotels is to give a complete set of large toiletries in rooms at check in which will last the duration of the stay and the guest can take home with them? The Kimpton Fitzroy had large pump dispensers like this (but not locked down) but they did not seem to be new and sealed upon arrival. I can live with a low end property like an Aloft or Hampton Inn having wall dispensers, at the higher end there are classier ways to achieve the same result. Agree a tie in with the better toiletry companies and such am approach could be largely self financing. Marriott even owns Bliss it's own toiletry brand.

IC hotels can rest easy as absolutely no one sane is going to steal that chemical Agraria rubbish. I now take my own toiletries to those hotels I know use this (which sadly seems to encompass most of the Thai IC's these days). So from that perspective, mission accomplished IHG!
Old Aug 1, 2019, 4:55 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

What? If you didn't take the normal size bottles home, the hotel would still have to throw them away. How is this better than throwing away small bottles?
Old Aug 1, 2019, 6:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by moondog
What? If you didn't take the normal size bottles home, the hotel would still have to throw them away. How is this better than throwing away small bottles?
Well the Kimpton Fitzroy don't if you don't take them they leave them there for the next guest, so they could do that too. It wasn't entirely clear if you are encouraged to take them which I didn't so that might be why the toiletries were part used. I didn't like the fact that I would be having part used toiletries in a suite costing £800 a night though.

Perhaps the bottles not taken should be used to restock the cheaper rooms
Old Aug 1, 2019, 8:12 am

Programs: IHG Gold
Originally Posted by OUTraveling
I guess I am cynical.

We live in a world where people lick ice cream, teachers ejaculate on cookies, people refill airport soap dispenser with there own semen.

May I ask how you would know if is semen was in the coditioner or perhaps if a few packets of mayo was loaded in the lotion bottle?
Isolated events. With billions of people in the world, why would you even waste your time thinking about such improbable events.

People have been attacked by lions that escaped from the local zoo, etc. Spend your worry time about more likely events (car crash, heart attack) and modify your behaviour if necessary to lessen such risks.
jsrdelta and trouble747 like this.
Old Aug 1, 2019, 8:34 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by moondog
That image is of the liquid itself, not the casing that individual owners are free to customize to their hearts' content (e.g. could even be solid gold if you fancy).
Yes, I've seen something similar at the gym. It hadn't occurred to me that the case could be customized. I have a lack of imagination—except that I expect if the case were solid gold, many customers would be trying to take it home with them.
Old Aug 1, 2019, 8:46 am
dk9

Originally Posted by mapleg
Isolated events. With billions of people in the world, why would you even waste your time thinking about such improbable events.

People have been attacked by lions that escaped from the local zoo, etc. Spend your worry time about more likely events (car crash, heart attack) and modify your behaviour if necessary to lessen such risks.
When you spend 100+ nights in hotel rooms a year away from home, you start to think all of these things..
Old Aug 1, 2019, 12:04 pm

Programs: IHG Gold
Originally Posted by dk9
When you spend 100+ nights in hotel rooms a year away from home, you start to think all of these things..
Ok, I recommend you worry about the food you are eating and how it was grown, stored, transported and prepared. Rodents along the way, dangerous chemicals, unclean containers, insects..whew!
jsrdelta and trouble747 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.