Search

See Ya Spire Elite No Thanks

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2019, 11:54 pm
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: IHG Spire, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Titanium, Mileage Plus Gold
See Ya Spire Elite No Thanks

So I spent one night at the Kimpton Rowan in Palm Springs this weekend. I was status matched from my Marriott Titanium to Spire Elite. I already knew that IHG club reward didn't come close to their competitors but I found out the hard way that late checkout isn't a guaranteed. It's only for Ambassadors at Intercontinental properties which I am and have been granted no problem. My mistake for assuming that late checkouts for Spire Elites was a guarantee.

So no free breakfast, no lounges and no late checkout. Why bother?

Personally I'm even letting my Ambassador membership lapse and not renewing this year. I'll stick to Marriott Bonvoy for my hotel stays and one offs I'll use Hilton with my Gold Status. Can anyone on here who tries to achieve Spire Elite status chime in on why you do other than say if you'r captive to IHG?
Old Jul 22, 2019, 2:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by seat38a

So no free breakfast, no lounges and no late checkout. Why bother?
Because some people have companies paying for breakfast, lounge access, etc. Therefore Spire (+Accelerate) gets you lots of extra bonus points. If you get to book your own business travel, the highest cashback rates are usually also found with IHG.

Some IHG hotels are generous with upgrades. Personally, I prefer guaranteed benefits, but some people are happy with the lottery.
bchandler02 and Graf von B like this.
Old Jul 22, 2019, 9:07 am

IHG “perks” do suck compared to others, but they do accumulate fast as stated above. I am loyal to Kimpton and have been Inner Circle since before the acquisition so that’s why I’m sticking with the program. Inner Circles get treated very well, somewhat like RA with Intercon. I almost always get a great suite upgrade (and I’m not shy about asking for one the very few times it’s not automatically offered) and the 4pm guaranteed late check out is always nice.
Old Jul 22, 2019, 3:49 pm
Original Poster

Another thing, I realized over this weekend was how low tech they are. For example, just for the extra hour or two change in late checkout, I had to go down to the front desk to have the keys all recoded again. So after being granted 1, 2 and then 3 extra hours, I had to go down three times to have the keys recoded.
Old Jul 22, 2019, 6:48 pm

Programs: IHG Platinum / HHonors Diamond / Hyatt Globalist / AA EX Platinum
I don't make any effort to keep spire, the best benefit, as mentioned above is earning free nights faster. FWIW I seem to be treated best at Crowne Plaza's, but I have no idea if that is just luck of the draw, or some policy.
Old Jul 22, 2019, 7:22 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Global Entry
Can anyone on here who tries to achieve Spire Elite status chime in on why you do other than say if you'r captive to IHG?
Multiple reasons. The biggest being 1.) I have gotten the best reward redemptions with IHG. 2.) Mariott is almost always more money than IHG. I'm not going to spend hundreds more on stays for "free" breakfasts and lounge visits. I can buy alcohol and breakfast, better ones at that, and still come out ahead financially by staying at IHG vs Mariott.

"Free" is so overrated. Marriott has some great perks, but you pay for it.
kevino, DavidDTW and Crofton138 like this.
Old Jul 22, 2019, 8:04 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Super Mario
Multiple reasons. The biggest being 1.) I have gotten the best reward redemptions with IHG. 2.) Mariott is almost always more money than IHG. I'm not going to spend hundreds more on stays for "free" breakfasts and lounge visits. I can buy alcohol and breakfast, better ones at that, and still come out ahead financially by staying at IHG vs Mariott.

"Free" is so overrated. Marriott has some great perks, but you pay for it.
What are we comparing here? Holiday Inn to Four Points? Crown Plaza to Sheraton??
Old Jul 22, 2019, 8:06 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
Another thing, I realized over this weekend was how low tech they are. For example, just for the extra hour or two change in late checkout, I had to go down to the front desk to have the keys all recoded again. So after being granted 1, 2 and then 3 extra hours, I had to go down three times to have the keys recoded.
This is how keycards work at every hotel at which I've ever stayed.
Old Jul 22, 2019, 8:12 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by joe_miami
This is how keycards work at every hotel at which I've ever stayed.
Never once have I had to go down to the front desk to get my keycard recoded at a Marriott Property for requesting late checkout. You request it on your app, and its set. Or call front desk. But then again, with the guaranteed 4PM checkout for elites, I'm guessing they figured this out a while ago to not have to deal with the hassle and annoynace.
Old Jul 22, 2019, 8:21 pm
Suspended

I’m Spire and don’t remember ever not getting late check out when requested. I’m happy enough with them and use them along with Hilton depending on property.
Old Jul 22, 2019, 9:00 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Global Entry
What are we comparing here? Holiday Inn to Four Points? Crown Plaza to Sheraton??
I won't argue that Mariott has a LOT more aspirational properties. However, nearly every time I have done a like for like comparison, Mariott was more money. Even their low-level Fairfields are normally $10-$15 more than a holiday inn (express).
Old Jul 22, 2019, 11:00 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by QtownDave
I’m Spire and don’t remember ever not getting late check out when requested. I’m happy enough with them and use them along with Hilton depending on property.
Which brands? Obviously you've been winning the at the game. The first time I needed it, I was denied.
Old Jul 22, 2019, 11:38 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
Which brands? Obviously you've been winning the at the game. The first time I needed it, I was denied.
Didn’t you end up with three hours of late checkout?
Old Jul 23, 2019, 12:00 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by joe_miami

Didn’t you end up with three hours of late checkout?
Yeah after being denied the first time, and then brining up the Spire card.
Old Jul 23, 2019, 12:13 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Graf von B
IHG “perks” do suck compared to others, but they do accumulate fast as stated above. I am loyal to Kimpton and have been Inner Circle since before the acquisition so that’s why I’m sticking with the program. Inner Circles get treated very well, somewhat like RA with Intercon. I almost always get a great suite upgrade (and I’m not shy about asking for one the very few times it’s not automatically offered) and the 4pm guaranteed late check out is always nice.
Thats my other gripe with the program. I thought it was odd that I had to buy into Ambassador for Intercontinental, which I did for two years. Then I found out that there's another program inside program with Kimpton. I'm guessing there are others who like it the way it is. Not a fan myself of this multiple program inside of program.
bluestrudels and dk9 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.