Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > InterContinental Hotels | IHG One Rewards and Intercontinental Ambassador
Reload this Page >

Chase Free night certificate reservation was canceled by IHG because hotel leaves IHG

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Chase Free night certificate reservation was canceled by IHG because hotel leaves IHG

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19, 2019, 8:37 am
Original Poster

In January me and my wife booked a stay in Kimpton Amara resort and spa, Sedona using our annual free night certificates.
These rooms are currently selling at $500 per night
3 days ago our reservations were canceled by IHG, they claim that Kimpton Amara is leaving IHG and therefore they had to cancel
I have emailed them couple of times, but only received an apology, and they did not even offer any compensation
I have never experienced something like this before
Is it something usual which is happening all the time, or is it just new "improved" treatment of Platinum members?
Old Feb 19, 2019, 9:24 am

Programs: Hilton credit card Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
This is normal when a hotel leaves a chain. It has nothing to do with your Platinum status.
Your free nights are only valid at IHG hotels - you need to find a different hotel to use them at, since this hotel is no longer an IHG hotel.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 9:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
Originally Posted by yustas
new "improved" treatment of Platinum members?
Just normal course of business. And I would not count too much on a status gained by virtue of a credit card. Not worth an aweful lot
yustas likes this.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 11:25 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Global Entry
We demand $1000 worth of rooms for $100. We demand compensation because the hotel left the program.

I wonder why IHG did away with the uncapped night?
Old Feb 19, 2019, 10:43 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Flying Lawyer
Just normal course of business. And I would not count too much on a status gained by virtue of a credit card. Not worth an aweful lot
Is it legal to cancel a reservation on this grounds, to me it looks like breach of contract, isn't it? I know that these card statuses do not worth much in the US anymore, that is why we have almost completely switched to cash back cards paying 2% or more
Originally Posted by jbeckett
This is normal when a hotel leaves a chain. It has nothing to do with your Platinum status.
Your free nights are only valid at IHG hotels - you need to find a different hotel to use them at, since this hotel is no longer an IHG hotel.
There is no other similar hotel in the area, just one HIX
Originally Posted by Super Mario
We demand $1000 worth of rooms for $100. We demand compensation because the hotel left the program.
I wonder why IHG did away with the uncapped night?
If you bought a lottery ticket for $2, won millions and after a month and a half received an email that your win is canceled without compensation and you will get your $2 back would you find any excuse for that?
I am not trying to insult you, just to explain that we had 2 nights worth $1000 according to IHG own web site, which were canceled without any compensation and to me it looks like our lottery win was taken from us
The reason Chase had given uncapped night had nothing to do with generosity, it was because they calculated that they would make more money on the merchant fees, late payment fees, interests etc. May be they miscalculated it or just became more greedy, but since other cards are paying 2%+ cashback, and with Chase IHG credit card you get less when 1% average, plus all the troubles I don't feel sorry for Chase
Old Feb 20, 2019, 2:56 am

Programs: Wyndham Diamond
This happens all the time across all brands, even with folks who hold top tier status. Best to move on and look for alternatives.
yustas likes this.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 3:00 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Maybe if you get in touch with them again they'll offer you a discounted rate for those rooms. But if the hotel leaves IHG, what do you expect them to do with a certificate which to them has no value?
Old Feb 20, 2019, 3:57 am
Original Poster

Since I made reservation with IHG I expect IHG and not specific hotel to honor the reservation. In this case I can't just move on because certificates expire in less then 2 months and there is no other similar hotel in this area.
Since you all say that it is known issue then we should be very careful when booking reward stays well in advance, because if something like this happens in Maldives or Bora Bora for example, where usually you book at least 7 nights and if you already booked your plane tickets then you either lose these tickets or pay at least $4000 for accommodation
I think something is wrong, don't you?
Old Feb 20, 2019, 9:04 am
Suspended

You've been told that it is normal for this to happen. If you want to take it up with IHG then you should do so, because there is nothing the hotel will/can do. I am fairly certain that if you read the T&Cs of the free night award, there will be some language around the requirement for the hotel to be part of the group at the time of your stay.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 9:41 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LondonElite
You've been told that it is normal for this to happen. If you want to take it up with IHG then you should do so, because there is nothing the hotel will/can do. I am fairly certain that if you read the T&Cs of the free night award, there will be some language around the requirement for the hotel to be part of the group at the time of your stay.
That's exactly what I did, I never contacted the hotel, but I contacted IHG several times to address this issue, and received nothing, but apologies. There is nothing in the T&Cs about this beside very vague: "Anniversary Free Night is valid at hotels in the IHG® Rewards Club Family of Brands"
I am really puzzled about this, because most of the hotels we book using points and free nights have very limited availability and have to be booked many months in advance. It is really hard to know which hotel may leave the chain during the year
Old Feb 20, 2019, 9:57 am
Suspended

Not many hotels do leave a chain suddenly. Usually management contracts have notice provisions before they can be cancelled. I think you'll need to move on from this and either book somewhere else, or pay the rate.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 10:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
If you were to go ahead with complaints it might well be that not IHG but Chase is the right corporation to address: They issued the voucher. But in practice, the hotel is no longer part of the IHG family, so it appears to be bad luck
yustas likes this.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 6:20 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond
All the responses given are correct, the free nights as well as points are only valid at IHG hotels, so once a hotel leaves, future reservations will be canceled because IHG won’t reimburse the hotel for the nights anymore.

However, imho OP’s complaint is absolutely valid. This is not a case of someone just complaining for no reason or trying to squeeze some sort of compensation out of the hotel. Points and free nights are often used at aspirational properties for special
trips which often include long planning and non refundable costs like flights etc.
While I’m sure that every frequent traveler can understand that hotels join and leave chains, the way IHG handles these cases imho is borderline unethical, because not only do they simply unilaterally cancel a valid reservation with no recourse, they also don’t offer any help or Plan B to OP. They simply say sorry and leave you to figure it out on your own.

i haven’t seen anything in the T&C that spells this situation out. What IHG does have on their website though is a “reservation guarantee” where they encourage you to book directly on IHG.com promising that direct bookings are guaranteed and if they can’t accomodate you, they will find you and alternative accommodation and pay the first night (essentially like when you’re being walked).

i understand that IHG says “sorry the hotel left”, and the hotel says “sorry we can’t accept the certificates anymore”, but none of this is the customers fault, yet IHG just cancels your reservations and leaves you stand in the rain.

The least I would except from a company cares a title about their customers is for them to help the traveler to find viable alternatives for them to still make their trips (May that be via discounts, alternative reservations etc).

Hotels don’t decide today that they leave the chain tomorrow, yet rooms and free nights are somtimes sold until the last day of the hotel being on IHG, which i feel is highly problematic and unfair to the customers (I’ve literally booked HIs that then left the chain a few days after the booking).

This doesn’t just apply to free nights. The same happens when the hotel closes or when a new hotel doesn’t open in time but had already sold revenue rooms for future dates. These are all completely normal situations in the hotel industry, but the way IHG handles this is completely screwed up.

Last year I had a reservation at a HIX and when I got there the hotel wasn’t open yet. My reservation still showed as valid in my account, I had gotten no email whatsoever. I called IHG and asked them to rebook me at any of the other IHG hotels in the city, and they said they are not allowed to rebook me, it’s the hotels responsibility. I was advised to call the front desk. *facepalm*
Even when the agent tried to contact Hotel management via phone and failed, he refused to rebook me and instead emailed the management and told me to wait for a response. All this while I was standing in front of the hotel.
I’m sure it actually is the hotel management responsibility to rebook guest in case of delays. But if you sell a room on IHG.com and have a customer stand in from the of the closed hotel, yet refuse to rebook them somewhere else, that says a lot about the companies attitude.

Sorry for the long rant, at the end OP likely will have to accept that his reservation was simply canceled. It is the common practice. That still doesn’t mean it’s a decent way to handle it.
yustas and groenroos like this.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 6:49 pm

Programs: AA UA Delta. HH Diamond, PC Platinum, Club Carlson Gold, Hyatt Diamond
So Kimpton Amara resort and spa, Sedona is leaving IHG and we will no longer able to use points there?
Old Feb 20, 2019, 11:20 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by r0me0
This doesn’t just apply to free nights. The same happens when the hotel closes or when a new hotel doesn’t open in time but had already sold revenue rooms for future dates. These are all completely normal situations in the hotel industry, but the way IHG handles this is completely screwed up.

Last year I had a reservation at a HIX and when I got there the hotel wasn’t open yet. My reservation still showed as valid in my account, I had gotten no email whatsoever. I called IHG and asked them to rebook me at any of the other IHG hotels in the city, and they said they are not allowed to rebook me, it’s the hotels responsibility. I was advised to call the front desk. *facepalm*
Even when the agent tried to contact Hotel management via phone and failed, he refused to rebook me and instead emailed the management and told me to wait for a response. All this while I was standing in front of the hotel.
I’m sure it actually is the hotel management responsibility to rebook guest in case of delays. But if you sell a room on IHG.com and have a customer stand in from the of the closed hotel, yet refuse to rebook them somewhere else, that says a lot about the companies attitude.

Sorry for the long rant, at the end OP likely will have to accept that his reservation was simply canceled. It is the common practice. That still doesn’t mean it’s a decent way to handle it.
First of all I would like to thank you for supporting me in this case. I believe that if we bring it to people attention may be it will make the difference.
Secondly I would like to tell completely different story, that happened to us 2 years ago, about Accor chain Mercure Kooddoo Maldives hotel. We planned to combine stays in 2 hotels in one trip: 4 nights in Hyatt Hadahaa(paid with Chase free nights) and the rest in this Mercure hotel, because Hyatt was around $1500 per night, Mercure was not fully built yet, so we contacted them before reserving the hotel to make sure it will be ready, and they told us it will be. We had booked nonrefundable paid stay in water villa at around $350 per night almost a year in advance. At that time the hotel was supposed to be open half year before our arrival, then they changed it to 3 months before arrival, etc At the end the hotel was not ready. They contacted us to let us know about this couple of months before our arrival, and we were really shocked, because it was high season and to find another hotel in this area would cost us at least $500 per night, not even in water villa, plus transportation expenses around $250 per person. We explained them the situation and that we had 4 night stay in Hyatt. They called us in couple of days and said they booked us in water villa in Hyatt for the remaining nights free of charge and also refunded us the money we paid them. This was so unbelievable, that we believed it only after our stay in Hyatt was completed
This is the best customer service experience we have ever had in 20 years of traveling
IHG experience is completely opposite to that

Last edited by yustas; Feb 20, 2019 at 11:26 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.