Wiki Posts
Search

Switching part of cash booking for reward night booking

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2019, 3:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador
Switching part of cash booking for reward night booking

I have a three night stay at IC The Strings Tokyo in March which is a cash booking at JPY38,000 per night. I would like to amend the booking and cancel two of these nights as I have enough points to re-book two nights and they have reward availability. If I do this, will the one night on the cash booking remain at the original rate or will it update to today's room rate (54,000 per night)?
Old Jan 4, 2019, 7:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Any adjustments you make to an existing IHG reservation means that you re-price to current levels. Paid, award, whatever...
Old Jan 4, 2019, 8:14 am

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Crofton138
I have a three night stay at IC The Strings Tokyo in March which is a cash booking at JPY38,000 per night. I would like to amend the booking and cancel two of these nights as I have enough points to re-book two nights and they have reward availability. If I do this, will the one night on the cash booking remain at the original rate or will it update to today's room rate (54,000 per night)?
whether updated i)online (website or app), ii)contacting IHG desks ii)contacting hotel direct, any changes to a booking , (start date, end date, length) whilst called "Modify Booking" is essentially under the covers done as cancel+rebook.

As such the replacement despite keeping the same original booking ref number, is to all intentents a brand new , on that day+time reservation, with that minutes nightly prices etc. Further changesto prices can occur due to pricing criteria as reduced rates for multi-night stay which will no longer apply. Further if your current room type is no longer being sold, you will often find you lose room and can't rebook.

Note if one books eg a flex 4nighter well in advance and nearer stay only needs nights 1-3, rebooking as a 3nighter can then be more costly than keeping the 4night booking. One often sucessful trick is mention only to reception on checkin (important during checkin before given room) the clerk will simply adjust the booking by dropping the last night without repricing first nights. They are not meant to, and obviously annoys revenue manager, but is done as it is so much easier+quicker for the checkin clerk.
Crofton138 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.