Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What can we do about IHG storing our PINs in clear?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20, 2018, 6:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum / Marriott Gold / Hilton Gold / IHG Platinum ... A former AA Platinum
Exclamation What can we do about IHG storing our PINs in clear?

I had to reset my PIN for ihg.com and I realized the "lost your pin" feature that emails you to recover access, is actually sending you your current PIN.
This means (for the non-techies) that IHG stores the PINs in clear. This means, crucially, that anyone with access to the database inside IHG (engineers, maintenance, possibly contractors even) has access to what I'm going to guess are often 'special dates' for given users -- since folks often use PINs that are meaningful 4 digits combos, that get reused in other circumstances.

THIS IS TERRIBLE for security. Especially since your IHG account is filled with personal info.
I suspect they are also exposed if anyone wants to launch some GDPR investigation in them, since they are not taking proper steps to protect personal informations of their customers.

I saw that there were folks on Twitter calling them out on this (twitter.com/FeMaven/status/1034141054621175810) but they don't seem to care ...

Does anyone have good relationships with the IHG folks to try and talk some sense into them and do the right thing to shore up their security standards?
leland likes this.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 9:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
I think all the hotel chains have some real problems here. I work for a company that delivers frictionless strong customer authentication formuse cases like this and that is exactly what the loyalty schemes need to put 8n p,a e especially post GDPR.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 10:19 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, Club Carlson Gold, IHG Platinum
The 4 digit numerical pin is absolutely ridiculous. So 1990's level of security when most websites today are now requiring passwords with upper case, lower case, number, special character. My IHG account got hacked last year and got drained of 160,000 points. I knew something was up immediately because I received an email that my email had been changed. I was also not able to log into my account. Called IHG and they informed me that my email, my address, and my PIN had been changed and my account had been drained with the purchase of gift cards. IHG was nice enough and reset my account my previous contact information and a new PIN. They also restored my points. No compensation for the inconvenience. The silver lining is that later I got 16,000 points added to my account as a 10% rebate on the 160,000 points that were redeemed by the hackers.
JohnM5 likes this.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 6:17 am

Originally Posted by gaukuser
I had to reset my PIN for ihg.com and I realized the "lost your pin" feature that emails you to recover access, is actually sending you your current PIN.
This means (for the non-techies) that IHG stores the PINs in clear. This means, crucially, that anyone with access to the database inside IHG (engineers, maintenance, possibly contractors even) has access to what I'm going to guess are often 'special dates' for given users -- since folks often use PINs that are meaningful 4 digits combos, that get reused in other circumstances.
(bolding mine)

Actually, it doesn’t mean that they are stored “in the clear.” They very well could be, and it’s obvious even to Rsy Charles and Stevie Wonder that a 4 digit code like this is weak AF.

However it still doesn’t mean it is stored plaintext in their DB. It could very well be an encrypt/decrypt sequence.

The short is that this is a known issue, and has been for a very long time. Hoping for change is like wishing in one and and... well, you know the rest. Let us know which hand fills up first.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 1:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Indeed, not only does it not mean that it is stored in an unencrypted form, but anyone that has the sort of level of access to the database to be able to access this,, probably wouldn't need the PIN anyway
Old Dec 25, 2018, 2:43 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL & GfL, HHons Diamond, Intercontinental Royal Ambassador, IHGSpire Elite, Kimpton Inner Circ
Write/tweet to IHG and copy/tag your national Information Commissioner

It is staggering that so many hotel groups are so careless with security for their loyalty programs. Given Marriott have admitted they discovered the hack in September, but did not notify those affected until November they have a serious GDPR problem. The regs require consumers to be notified within 72 hours. In the extreme the fine could be 4% of global turnover. The EU will probably want to impose a fine which sends a clear messsage, perhaps in the tens of millions of €. I hope it is as the hotel groups are clearly being negligent and need to understand if they din’t fix this they will feel financial pain.

Anyone affected by Starwood should complain to their national information commissioner and encourage a punitive fine so hotels stop ignoring customer security.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.