Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Buh-bye IHG

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5, 2018, 1:07 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, BA Silver
Originally Posted by BlueHenFlyer
IHG advertises "No Blackout" for rewards nights - they simply get around this by using hotel-imposed capacity controls that don't exist with Marriott or Hilton. I'm not talking about being in town for the Super Bowl. Quiet lounges are a waste of money and loyalty. The IC Ambassador Lounges are - for the one's I've seen - large and largely empty. Further, they're not worth the upcharge. I've got 700,000 IHG points, so when I find the better option, I'll be using it.
I find IHG award availability to be generally excellent but I do tend to stay out more mid level properties.

Agree Spire status is not much in terms of guaranteed benefits but I do find IHG to be one of the most most reliable chains to give semi-decent upgrades - especially in the US.
Old Oct 5, 2018, 1:34 am
Moderator, SkyTeam and Germany

Programs: BA, LH, KL, EY, IHG, Marriott, Hyatt, Hilton, Radisson
For sure the hotel programs are generally going downhill compared to earlier years, following suit the airline programs that were excellent 5-10 years ago and now are essentially worthless. IMO IHG is one of the weaker programs around (has been for a long time though). I've been booking hotels of "my programs" whenever possible in the past (even at much higher price) - nowadays I book with price/value and location in mind most of the time and when it's important book the desired room instead of hoping for an upgrade.

My pro's and con's with IHG:

pro:
- generally good availability of awards, at least with non-Interconti's
- points&cash
- best footprint of hotels in the regions I travel to mostly (Europe/UK, North America)
- Ambassador program (Interconti) that gives a consistent one category upgrade without too much hassle
con:
- awards very expensive in comparison to other chains
- generally mediocre hotels and no change in sight (indigo was a good idea but is going forward to slow)
- too many rates and booking chanels that result in no points/night count (I just had a 3 night Interconti stay at 1750 US$ that was deemed "non qualifying" - bummer!)
- Ambassador free night cert not very useful with the special rates needed for it (borderlining to deceit sometimes)
- recent rise in Amb price / renewal
- Royal Amb. status would be attractive but is too intransparent to make shifting stays to achieve it a reliable thing
- no breakfast and no lounge access (absolutely non-competitive in comparison to many other programs here)
Old Oct 5, 2018, 2:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
The question is why it's taken the OP until 2018 to realise that elite status is far more valuable at Hyatt, Stariott and to a lesser extent Hilton. I figured it out back in 2014 or so, and I'm a relative latecomer to the elite status game...

There are many valid reasons to stay at IHG hotels, but elite status treatment isn't one of them.
Old Oct 5, 2018, 3:30 am

Programs: Avios Hunter
Originally Posted by BlueHenFlyer
The "free night" with Ambassador is NOT free - it is a BOGO and has to be booked in a higher class of service (an Ambassador Room) than a regular rack room. I agree that there are some fine IC properties out there - no doubt. Just have found that award availability (as a Spire) is just not there. I don't tend to travel to places where there's even an HGI option - generally it ranges from a Super 8 to a Hampton/HIEx - if I were a high-falutin' world capitals guy, I'd never have ventured from Starwood/Marriott...
That is just factually incorrect, BOGO can be used to book an entry level room, although often that's not the way to get best value (i.e. book a room with lounge access, and you get that same access on the 2nd night).

Also there is no such thing as an ambassador bedroom, there are club rooms, which can be booked by anyone regardless of status.

It appears the OP is complaining about a programme with which he is not fully au fait.

In terms of lounge capacity, the OP has clearly never stayed in either of the LV properties where the lounges can be jammed, or the IC park lane, which was always at least reasonably busy the 3-4 stays I had there to date.
OskiBear likes this.

Last edited by tangey; Oct 5, 2018 at 3:38 am
Old Oct 5, 2018, 3:34 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
My wife and I both have Diamond with Hilton, and Ambassador IHG,
Since most of my travel is international, I have enjoyed both the chains, IHG Mumbai is wonderful, and includes free breakfast, IHG Hong Kong is a wonderful hotel,
never had issues with using free nights or points for that hotel
Hilton Hotels around the world are great, upgraded rooms, great service
We are also some decent levels at SPG

Never had a problem at any of the hotel chains that the staff were not able to fix
Old Oct 5, 2018, 9:45 am

Programs: DL DM 2MM - IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by beachmouse
Isn't it great that there are different programs that suit different traveller needs?
+1

I jumped from Starwood (where is was treated pretty well) to IHG when my travel patterns changed. Now most of my stays are in the UK and China/HongKong and there are IHG properties near where I need to be. The IHG program works for me...for now. And that is all that the OP (and any traveller) should take into consideration when selecting any travel program.
Old Oct 5, 2018, 12:28 pm

I have been a Spire elite since they started the Spire level. I have not gotten any better service than my friend who is Platinum.

I don't expect much from IHG for being a Spire... and they deliver... not much.

I use IHG when I can get the best deal. It is a good secondary hotel program.
Old Oct 5, 2018, 2:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
i am only a Spire because Kimpton Inner Circle was a status level that worked for my travel patterns now that Hyatt and Starwood/Marriott are all nights-only, and now Spire comes along with it. I thought I was going to requalify for Inner Circle this year even with the nebulous qualification criteria, but some client changes in the last few months combined with disproportionately high rates in a few cities which I can't justify.... that means that I'm contemplating letting it go.

I just qualified for Spire with 43 nights. On my non-Kimpton nights, i've gotten a higher floor a few times, and a couple of hundred extra points a few times. So as of January 1, I will be a free agent again.
Old Oct 5, 2018, 6:18 pm

Programs: VA Plat, QF LTS, UA MM, Hilton Diamond, Rydges Black, ,Le-Club Gold
Last year IHG trashed their one great redeeming feature - Poinsbreaks - which had been a reason, the only reason, for amassing accumulated points from the Accelerates and other promos.

Now that Pointbreaks is dead, the tide is out and Priority Club is revealed as having been swimming-naked with no significant elite benefits and all-blacked-out aspirational redemptions.

Still the are some nice/convenient properties, still worth a stay and comparable with other nice hotels where there is no loyalty program.

... And yet, halfway on the treadmill of Accelerate so will continue to stay at IHG for this month anyway
Old Oct 6, 2018, 2:37 pm

Originally Posted by craigthemif
The question is why it's taken the OP until 2018 to realise that elite status is far more valuable at Hyatt, Stariott and to a lesser extent Hilton. I figured it out back in 2014 or so, and I'm a relative latecomer to the elite status game...

There are many valid reasons to stay at IHG hotels, but elite status treatment isn't one of them.
one valid reason for me is that I can regularly get 10-15% cashback through one of the CB portals.

hyatt = 0%
hilton = 1%
marriott = 5-10%
ihg = 8-15%
Old Oct 6, 2018, 11:53 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
I'm a weirdo by FT standards because I like the mid level brands and pretty much stick with IHG because they seem to have a better global footprint with HIX than Hilton does with Hampton or Marriott does with Courtyard/Fairfield. And there also seems to be something of a push to expand Staybridge, which I like quite a bit, into more countries.
That's not so weird. It's been discussed before in this forum that IHG caters to two different types of travelers. There's the high end traveler who enjoys IC hotels. OP seems to be in that category, moaning about HIXes. And on the other hand are the people who are with IHG specifically because of the HIXes -- which, to their credit, are very consistent and (as you noted) have a wider footprint than comparable brands from MR and HH.
Old Oct 7, 2018, 1:52 am
stc

Programs: DL 2MM Gold, AA Plat Pro; Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium (via SPG), IHG Plat
I'm a weirdo by FT standards because I like the mid level brands and pretty much stick with IHG because they seem to have a better global footprint with HIX than Hilton does with Hampton or Marriott does with Courtyard/Fairfield. And there also seems to be something of a push to expand Staybridge, which I like quite a bit, into more countries.

Isn't it great that there are different programs that suit different traveller needs?
So, the industry as a bunch of different categories rather than just low / mid / high. But, I really have to say I would call HIX or any hotel without an on-site restaurant low or low-mid rather than mid. HI and CP are Mid Level. Courtyard (and HGI Hilton Garden Inn) are a step above HIX but even they are probably not even mid which would instead be Marriott / Hilton / Doubletree / Sheraton. HIX is competing with Fairfield and Hampton not Courtyard or HGI.

Honestly the industry is probably right and there are at least six or seven categories:

1) Super8, Red Roof Inn (etc.)
2) HIX, Hampton, Fairfield (etc.)
3) Courtyard, HGI, Four Points (etc.)
4) HI, Hilton Doubletree, Sheraton, (etc.)
5) CP, Renaisance, Westin, W?, (etc)
6) Indigo?, JW Marriott, W?, Conrad?, IC?
7) IC?, WA?, IC, Ritz

There are certainly some individual hotels that fall into a different category and 6 and 7 begin to overlap even more. Certainly there are some CPs that are no better than HIs. And certain brands like Indigo and W are hard to categorize because they are really targeting a different demographic.

But I have to agree with what others have said, IHG is good at the low and high ends, meh in the middle, and it sounds like the FT program is meh also.
Old Oct 7, 2018, 3:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by BaconSF

one valid reason for me is that I can regularly get 10-15% cashback through one of the CB portals.

hyatt = 0%
hilton = 1%
marriott = 5-10%
ihg = 8-15%
Well, if you book a $125 hotel to get a 15% cashback rebate instead of a similar $100 hotel with 0% cashback, then your math skills need some work. (or you are ripping off your employer/client)

But indeed IHG members have to focus on getting lower rates, higher point bonuses, etc. to make up for the fact that they aren't getting elite status benefits. (which might not matter for corporate travellers on expenses...)
Old Oct 10, 2018, 2:47 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Delta SM, Marriott Plat , Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, IHG Spire
Kimpton Is My Only Loyalty

Honestly, I'm a Kimpton guy. I've found they have treated me better than any hotels I've ever stayed in. The Gray in Chicago, I'm looking at you. And if I am travelling somewhere without a Kimpton, then I'm a Marriott guy, and enjoy my lounge access and free cubes of cheese. I think it really depends on your travel type. If you're in the same city for an extended period of time, I've made friends with staff at Kimptons and have fell in love. If you're bouncing around the country for a day or two, then that's less important and getting Hilton or Marriott membership is probably better.
puck021 likes this.
Old Oct 11, 2018, 10:44 am

Programs: FB Platinum, BlueBiz, IHG Diamond & Biz Rewards, GHA Titanium, Choice Platimun, Hertz PC
Angry

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
I am not sure how it is IHG and not you

Your complaints seem mainly that IHG is not giving things that it never said that it would

That lounges are quiest is a good thing - those that pay for lounge access are not getting busy lounges due to freebie access.

There has never been a suggestion that higher category rooms be available for points purchase

If , in places that you are going, other hotels are better value/quality , then it makes sense to stay there regardless - as mentioned above, don't let the tail wag the dog ; in another city, it may be that an IHG hotel would be a better option
Well, how about the things they DO guarantee like the GUARANTEED ROOM AVAILABILITY that is a complete BS since they will nonchalantly tell you that they can't honor it because "the hotel is full", as if anyone ever needed that when the hotel is not full. Their customer service is really lacking to say the least, from the really atrocious live chat operators to the call center that is mostly just trying to get you off the line.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.