Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Does Spire Ambassador make sense? Free lounge/food at CP or IC?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9, 2018, 9:38 pm
Original Poster

Does Spire Ambassador make sense? Free lounge/food at CP or IC?

Really hate IHG, but I need to burn through my points. Now that my Ambassador renewal is up, and it's a 40,000 pts to renew, is Spire Ambassador status worth it? Without renewal I'll be down to Plat, no Ambassador.

My main criteria is getting free breakfast and lounge at CP or IC. I don't really care for fancy rooms or views. I know Asian properties tend to be better, are there any good ones that is a real bang for the buck?
Old Sep 9, 2018, 10:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by Rommie2k6
Really hate IHG, but I need to burn through my points. Now that my Ambassador renewal is up, and it's a 40,000 pts to renew, is Spire Ambassador status worth it? Without renewal I'll be down to Plat, no Ambassador.

My main criteria is getting free breakfast and lounge at CP or IC. I don't really care for fancy rooms or views. I know Asian properties tend to be better, are there any good ones that is a real bang for the buck?
You might get "free" food at a few CPs. But not at any ICs, unless fortune smiles on you.

This is a near duplicate of another current thread https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/inte...tus-worth.html.

Perhaps a mod can merge them...
Old Sep 9, 2018, 10:25 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Global Entry
As to whether Spire Ambassador is "worth it" is very subjective. By looking at statuses, which many hotels will consider, gives you the highest chance of upgrade. That's the best pampering Spire will get you. Ambassador comes with a few nice perks that I enjoy.

If free breakfast/lounge at their upscale properties is important, then IHG is probably not the chain for you.
Old Sep 9, 2018, 10:34 pm
Moderator: InterContinental Hotels and Germany

Have you noticed the thread with a similar - though not exact the same - question:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/inte...tus-worth.html

It might help you in finding an answer.

I assume, that you are not considering any lower hotels than CP and fully aware, that Ambassador does not get you anything in a CP? If you are into lounge access, why not use the points for stay and contact the hotel in advance by negotiating Lounge Access by e.g. paying the fee. Ambassador - at least in my experience - does not really get you a confirmed upgrade to club lounge or full breakfast.
Old Sep 11, 2018, 3:31 pm
Original Poster

So from what I've gathered, there was some IHG Europe documents that showed that Spire gets "lounge access" as one of the welcome amenity at CP, but I'm not sure if this is rolled out everywhere.

If staying on points and negotiating Lounge Access by paying the fee, that really defeats the purpose because one can do that as a Plat too.

I'm just wondering if there is any incremental benefit going from Plat to Spire and Non-Ambassador to Ambassador, for me they are coupled, when I renew Amb, I get renewed at Spire too.
Old Sep 12, 2018, 12:54 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
So from what I've gathered, there was some IHG Europe documents that showed that Spire gets "lounge access" as one of the welcome amenity at CP, but I'm not sure if this is rolled out everywhere.
It depends on the property so you need to check the FT thread for every property you want to stay at (or the general CP lounge access thread).

I'm just wondering if there is any incremental benefit going from Plat to Spire and Non-Ambassador to Ambassador, for me they are coupled, when I renew Amb, I get renewed at Spire too.
You will get the Ambassador benefits as listed on the IC website, and the Spire benefits as listed on the IHG website. Anything else is a bonus. That means, no guaranteed free food.
Old Sep 12, 2018, 1:17 am

Programs: Hilton Gold, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist
Are you saying you're currently not Spire but by renewing Ambassador that will upgrade you from Platinum to Spire? I wish. A number of years ago it happened due to an IHG glitch (around the start of Spire status I believe), but I don't recall that being the case for anyone from the past few years. Correct me if I'm not understanding or if I am wrong, please.
Old Dec 29, 2019, 11:13 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Shangri-La Jade, Radisson Gold, IHG Spire
Spire elites do get complimentary lounge access at most CPs in Europe and ALL CPs in Greater China (including Hong Kong, Macau & Taiwan). The only generous Intercontinental I know of is the Intercontinental Bangkok - Book the base room and you will be upgraded to their Executive room (Not club), with free breakfast for 2. Alternatively, book the executive room and you can get upgraded to the Club room with club access.
Kalboz likes this.
Old Dec 29, 2019, 11:40 pm

I believe Ambassador is worth nothing or not much at ICs on point stays.
Spire would normally get you nothing at ICs. Otherwise it depends and the best source for information is this forum.
Old Dec 31, 2019, 5:54 pm

Location: Bangkok, Thailand. No longer Palm Coast, FL though still exiled, again, from the Bay Area.
Programs: Only the good ones
AMB gets you $20 F&B credit at IC's, which is usually enough if you're travelling alone. The BOGO is always useful, I am saving $399+taxes and fees with mine this year (second night at IC SF.) And, the $200 annual fee gets you 10% rebate on all awards, which was worth over 30,000 points this year, not to mention the 15k for the sign up bonus. I wouldn't do the 40k points signup. Also, the one benefit I've enjoyed the most is it rolls over Spire for another year. I just renewed my AMB and my Spire rolled out to 12/31/20. 2019 i only had 8437 points and 24 nights towards requalification, as I had so many award nights, so not even close to the required levels.
Old Jan 1, 2020, 12:17 pm

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
The IHG Chinese website briefly mentioned that Spire élite members will get access to Club in ICs and Regents in Greater China (excluding the Regent in Taipei) a couple of days ago, but the information has since been taken down.
Old Jan 2, 2020, 12:30 pm

Originally Posted by loyaltylobby88
The only generous Intercontinental I know of is the Intercontinental Bangkok - Book the base room and you will be upgraded to their Executive room (Not club), with free breakfast for 2. Alternatively, book the executive room and you can get upgraded to the Club room with club access.
Stayed there last August, w/ spire elite. Booked with points and don't know if my room was Executive vs. Club vs. whatever.

Was given free breakfast (for 3) and offered welcome drinks (don't think we ever used). I thought they might have given me lounge access, but wasn't paying attention and never tried to enter. Maybe it was breakfast OR lounge?

Personally, there are plenty other places I would rather spend my time in Bangkok, so I wasn't paying attention.

This was more generous than the Holiday Inn up the street (Soi 22, not next door). They offered an upgraded room and a discount on breakfast (40% maybe, I forget). The upgraded room was remarkably small, especially for such a new hotel, assumed it was an "upgrade" due to higher floor.
Old Jan 3, 2020, 5:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by loyaltylobby88
Spire elites do get complimentary lounge access at most CPs in Europe and ALL CPs in Greater China (including Hong Kong, Macau & Taiwan). The only generous Intercontinental I know of is the Intercontinental Bangkok - Book the base room and you will be upgraded to their Executive room (Not club), with free breakfast for 2. Alternatively, book the executive room and you can get upgraded to the Club room with club access.
Definitely not MOST CPs in Europe. Some...
Old Jan 4, 2020, 10:06 am
ymx

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, AA EXP, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by rbAA
And, the $200 annual fee gets you 10% rebate on all awards, which was worth over 30,000 points this year, not to mention the 15k for the sign up bonus. .
I’ve been looking on the Ambassador signup pages on the IHG website and can’t find any reference to the 10% rebate on awards, or the 15K signup bonus. Can you point me to the right page that details these? Thanks!
Old Jan 4, 2020, 2:16 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Global Entry
Originally Posted by ymx
I’ve been looking on the Ambassador signup pages on the IHG website and can’t find any reference to the 10% rebate on awards, or the 15K signup bonus. Can you point me to the right page that details these? Thanks!
I only received the 10% rebate once I renewed Ambassador

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.