Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best property in SF?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23, 2018, 10:27 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA: ExPlat & 3MM; UA: 1k; KL: Plat 4 Life; Hyatt: Plat; SPG, Marriott, Hilton: Gold
Best property in SF?

Looking to book using my Chase anniversary night.
Assume the 2 ICs are nicest properties alround. Mark Hopkins nicer than other one?
Old Aug 23, 2018, 11:19 am

Don't count out the Kimptons. Start here:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/inte...ption-ics.html

For IC Mark Hopkins vs IC SF, this has been discussed numerous times. Start here:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/inte...01-2008-a.html

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/inte...s-lounges.html

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/inte...k-hopkins.html

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/inte...ad-merged.html
Old Aug 23, 2018, 11:54 am

Programs: IHG Spire / Kimpton Inner Circle, Delta Plat
Depends what you're looking for - I love the Kimpton Buchanan. Not necessarily because of the property itself, but the location is far superior than staying near the tourist slog of union square or market st.
Old Aug 24, 2018, 12:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by anandrag
Assume the 2 ICs are nicest properties alround. Mark Hopkins nicer than other one?
In a nostalgia/atmosphere shabby-chic way, the Mark Hopkins could win.

But if it's comfort and an easily managed location that interests you then it's the IC.
Old Aug 24, 2018, 3:57 am

Programs: BA Silver, IHG Gold Amb.
did 3 nights in the Mark Hopkins a few months ago.
we had to move room 3 times, because its impossible to sleep in one of the rooms next to the lift. its so loud.

we ended up asking to be downgraded to a basic room as far away from the lift as possible, but it was still loud as there is no soundproofing here at all.

if you want history and period features, stay at the Mark Hopkins. if you want sleep stay elsewhere.
Old Aug 24, 2018, 10:47 pm

Programs: QR Plat, HH Diamond
the rooms at Mark Hopkins are simply dreadful
Old Aug 25, 2018, 12:11 pm

The MH is pretty bad.
Old Aug 26, 2018, 8:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
The MH is pretty good. Juat book the good rooms.
Old Aug 26, 2018, 10:45 am

Programs: QR Plat, HH Diamond
we had the Penthouse just below the Top of the Mark and the furnishings in there were nearly as dreadful as the normal rooms, so not certain what good rooms you might be referring to?
Old Aug 27, 2018, 10:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by #1son
we had the Penthouse just below the Top of the Mark and the furnishings in there were nearly as dreadful as the normal rooms, so not certain what good rooms you might be referring to?
Yup. Instead of chasing elusive good rooms at the MH, go to the Intercontinental where all rooms are good rooms.

OK, I'd better modify that to I've never had a bad room at the Intercontinental.
Old Aug 28, 2018, 4:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
Originally Posted by IAN-UK
Yup. Instead of chasing elusive good rooms at the MH, go to the Intercontinental where all rooms are good rooms.

OK, I'd better modify that to I've never had a bad room at the Intercontinental.
Sure. But it is nothing but an upscale Crown Plaza. The ICSF is nothing like I as used to by IC standards. Probably I am spoiled by Asian and European properties, but this is "just another hotel" in not the very best location.
Old Feb 17, 2020, 11:25 am

Stayed at the Buchanan last night. I would say it is a step down from most Kimpton properties (and no Raid the Bar benefit). But the rates were fantastic on a Sunday night ($90 + tax). Location is more residential but lovely. As others have said, away from the tourist areas. The building seems to me to have been formerly an apartment building... can anyone confirm?
Old Jul 23, 2021, 2:31 pm

Programs: Don't think it matters...
SF Hotel for Chase Free nights

Hi,
Looking for a 2 night hotel stay in SF in August. For the dates I am interested in, I am getting both IC and IC Mark Hopkins at 40k points and also HIE Fisherman's Wharf. All seem to have rooms available at/under 40k.
We looking for something in the tourist areas, so what would be the recommendation.
I am trending towards HIE Fishermans wharf cause it also has free breakfast, but open to recommendations.

Thx,
Old Jul 23, 2021, 6:12 pm

Originally Posted by abhilife2001
Hi,
Looking for a 2 night hotel stay in SF in August. For the dates I am interested in, I am getting both IC and IC Mark Hopkins at 40k points and also HIE Fisherman's Wharf. All seem to have rooms available at/under 40k.
We looking for something in the tourist areas, so what would be the recommendation.
I am trending towards HIE Fishermans wharf cause it also has free breakfast, but open to recommendations.

Thx,
The Mark Hopkins is a classic SF hotel with some 'atmosphere' (which is totally missing at the IC) and getting around is easy if you take the cable car (if I recall correctly. The IHE at the Wharf is certainly more touristy and the breakfast benefit is significant.
Old Jul 23, 2021, 11:13 pm

Location: Bangkok, Thailand. No longer Palm Coast, FL though still exiled, again, from the Bay Area.
Programs: Only the good ones
Originally Posted by Flying Lawyer
Sure. But it is nothing but an upscale Crown Plaza. The ICSF is nothing like I as used to by IC standards. Probably I am spoiled by Asian and European properties, but this is "just another hotel" in not the very best location.
Definitely, the Asia and Europe IC's are the best. But, for the price, the IC SF is still my favorite SAN FRANCISCO hotel, having stayed at most of the Hyatts, MR, and other "chain" properties as well as some of the "boutique" places. It's an extremely nice "upscale CP," especially the Jr Suites on the east end with the great views (though I've never had a bad view from any of their rooms,) but, compared to most of the other choices in the city, I find it's location to be extremely convenient, just close enough but still away from the crowds, and easily walkable to just about anywhere, even the Cal Train station, once on a beautiful mid-afternoon trip up from San Jose. The MH used to be great, and my first stay there (in the 70's) was in the Presidential Suite with the grand piano and butler on call, but it's just a tired shell of it's former greatness and difficult to use public transportation, or to walk that hill. I did like the Holiday Inn on Van Ness, but they gave me a corner "suite" on a high floor for about $100 per night and the view was excellent, plus it's a little out of the way but has some great F&B options nearby that are walkable even in bad weather.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.