Wiki Posts
Search

IHG Points or UR Points?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2, 2018, 4:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Gold, SPG & IHG Plat, & every airline program that I can join
IHG Points or UR Points?

I am so torn and need a bit of guidance on this one... I am attending a concert at the O2 in London in December and am looking at the IC next door (great location since I do not walk long distances anymore) for a 4 night stay. I am a lowly Plat via having the IHG card which gets me next to nothing. It looks like my options are 45K points per night (and looks like the 4th night is free on the IHG points), or use my Chase UR points at 13,900 points per night which I get from my office supply store bonuses at 5x per dollar. To me it seems like the UR points would be the way to go and save the IHG points for cheaper points stays? I can't use the annual cert as the room is 45K points. Following Paul McCartney around the UK on the tour, and after years of not traveling due to caring for Mom, I am finally starting to live my dreams. Thanks for any input.

JudyJFLA
Old Aug 2, 2018, 4:37 pm

Programs: Hilton credit card Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Here is how I would value the points. Your calculation may vary.
135.000 IHG points, at .5 cents per point, is worth $675.
55,600 UR points, at 1.5 cents per point, is worth $834.
I would use the IHG points - the fourth night free benefit is perfect for this stay.
I don't know why you say you can't use the annual cert, as far as I know there are no points-limited certificates issued yet.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 5:08 pm

IMO, the “money saved” using IHG vs UR currency is nominal and thus, shouldn’t be a consideration. I suggest using the IHG points and save the more flexible, and valuable, UR currency.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 5:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Gold, SPG & IHG Plat, & every airline program that I can join
OK, so my Chase free night cert expires in 2 months, so I assume I could use it for December if I booked before then, but how would that figure in with the 4th night free, just counts in the group of points, so I would only be using 90K points, the free night cert, and then the 4th night free?
Of course there are never any Pointbreak hotels where I want to go for the lower rate. For the data point I am getting 7.5% on my purchases in UR points as I only get them with Chase Saph reserve for gift cards at Office Stores.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 8:48 pm

Programs: WN, DL, UA, AA, Hilton, Marriott, IHG
I doubt you can combine a free night cert and the 4th night free. I believe it has to be 4 nights in one booking.
Old Aug 3, 2018, 8:56 am

Programs: Hilton credit card Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by JudyJFLA
OK, so my Chase free night cert expires in 2 months, so I assume I could use it for December if I booked before then, but how would that figure in with the 4th night free, just counts in the group of points, so I would only be using 90K points, the free night cert, and then the 4th night free?at Office Stores.
No, the 4th night free will not work with the free night certificate. So you could pay 135K points for three nights and use the certificate for the 4th night (which doesn't make sense) or pay 135k points for four nights with 4th night free. Or you could use UR points for three nights and the certificate for the fourth night.
Old Aug 3, 2018, 10:51 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Global Entry
Lots of people love to crap all over IHG points because 1 point doesn't have as much value as other "points".

With that said, I nearly always use IHG points for hotels. IHG points are plentiful, and the 4th night free can be a big savings.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.