Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New to IHG, not sure how I qualified for elite...benefits?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6, 2018, 6:10 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Many
New to IHG, not sure how I qualified for elite...benefits?

So,

I remember signing up for IHG at the Intercon in Lison on a one night stay perhaps two years ago. Much to my surprise, I am IHG Platinum for 2018, and according to my email summary have earned close to 60k points on 4 nights (how is that even possible?). Anyway, I need a hotel for 4 nights in Taipei in August and was considering The Regent as they are apparently IHG. Would 4 additional nights there get me to Spire? Is Spire worth it, and what if any benefits can I expect from my Platinum status? Thanks!
Old Jul 6, 2018, 6:44 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Sixt Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott/SPG Gold .....
You need 75k points in one CY for Spire and if it is worth is highly debatable. Can't hurt but few hard advantages.

I would check your account to see if it is still you linked to the number, change the password and you can check "past stays" online to start to check what happened (maybe something as innocent as a number switch during reservation.
Old Jul 6, 2018, 7:39 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by blitzen
You need 75k points in one CY for Spire and if it is worth is highly debatable. Can't hurt but few hard advantages.

I would check your account to see if it is still you linked to the number, change the password and you can check "past stays" online to start to check what happened (maybe something as innocent as a number switch during reservation.
I had 4 very expensive nights, possible to get to 60k points based on that? So would 4 nights in TPE get me from 60 to 75k and would it be worth it to pay a but more/night for The Regent to get to Spire status?
Old Jul 6, 2018, 7:52 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Sixt Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott/SPG Gold .....
Normal Points 10 per $1 with 50% Platinum Bonus > $4000 spend = $1k a night? Sounds too high but possible > check "past stays" and you can check the bill (see who stayed etc)
You would need 15k more = $1000 spend which seems to be the ballpark spend for 4 nights
As you get 25k as a bonus it would be worth going for Spire
Old Jul 6, 2018, 8:30 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by blitzen
Normal Points 10 per $1 with 50% Platinum Bonus > $4000 spend = $1k a night? Sounds too high but possible > check "past stays" and you can check the bill (see who stayed etc)
You would need 15k more = $1000 spend which seems to be the ballpark spend for 4 nights
As you get 25k as a bonus it would be worth going for Spire
Yes, this was an expensive last minute booking, I think I was paying over $1k/night. Makes sense then. I would likely make spire with the 4 nights in TPE. I suppose it might be worth it.
Old Jul 6, 2018, 9:06 am

Does the 50% bonus count towards EQP? I was thinking it didn’t, but “bonus packages” from the your rate did?
Old Jul 6, 2018, 3:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet
I had 4 very expensive nights, possible to get to 60k points based on that? So would 4 nights in TPE get me from 60 to 75k and would it be worth it to pay a but more/night for The Regent to get to Spire status?
If it was two years ago you have zero points in 2018 and would need all 75K to get to Spire.

Status runs annually.

Also... Regent hotels aren't yet participating in IHG Rewards Club.
Old Jul 6, 2018, 4:01 pm

OP stated that it was one night years ago and now he has 4 nights and 60k points (so 3 additional I would assume). And he is platinum in 2018 so that can’t be from 2 years ago
when I read it it sounded as if someone stayed but the points got credited to his account

OP please clear this up
Old Jul 6, 2018, 4:24 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by craigthemif
If it was two years ago you have zero points in 2018 and would need all 75K to get to Spire.

Status runs annually.

I signed up 2 years ago. Had 4 expensive nights this Jan. Didn't think 4 nights, even expensive ones were sufficient to get to 60k & Platinum.
Old Jul 6, 2018, 4:45 pm
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Gold, VA Gold, IHG Spire, Accor Plat, Marriot Plat, Hilton Diamond
Keep in mind Platinum doesn’t give you much, Spire is not much better than Platinum, so why bother?
Unterwegs likes this.
Old Jul 6, 2018, 4:57 pm

Programs: Hilton credit card Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Platinum requires 40000 elite qualifying points - spending $4000 on the room rate will get you to platinum (each dollar earns 10 elite qualifying points). So that you are now platinum is not a mystery.
If you get to 75000 elite qualifying points, you will be spire.
You can sign on to your account and view how many points you have earned and how many elite qualifying points you have for the year. Note that these may be different, so if you have earned 60k points but only 40K elite qualifying points, you still need to spend $3500 to earn spire

The three additional benefits of spire as compared to platinum are -

• Bonus earnings on top of base points: 100% (platinum gets a bonus of 50%)
• Exclusive Choice Benefit upon receiving status (25000 points as noted in previous posts)
• Exclusive Hertz Gold Plus Rewards® Five Star® upgrade upon receiving status
kaffir76 likes this.

Last edited by jbeckett; Jul 6, 2018 at 5:13 pm
Old Jul 7, 2018, 3:07 pm

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Originally Posted by jbeckett
Platinum requires 40000 elite qualifying points - spending $4000 on the room rate will get you to platinum (each dollar earns 10 elite qualifying points). So that you are now platinum is not a mystery.
If you get to 75000 elite qualifying points, you will be spire.
You can sign on to your account and view how many points you have earned and how many elite qualifying points you have for the year. Note that these may be different, so if you have earned 60k points but only 40K elite qualifying points, you still need to spend $3500 to earn spire

The three additional benefits of spire as compared to platinum are -

• Bonus earnings on top of base points: 100% (platinum gets a bonus of 50%)
• Exclusive Choice Benefit upon receiving status (25000 points as noted in previous posts)
• Exclusive Hertz Gold Plus Rewards® Five Star® upgrade upon receiving status
In Greater China, you get a lot more benefits as a Spire. Guaranteed lounge access when you stay at CP and F&B voucher at IC and HI.
Old Jul 7, 2018, 4:41 pm

Programs: IHG spire ambassador, SPG/Marriott Gold(new plat), Virgin Atlantic
You could have earned some bonus points from their accelerate prom or whatnot. I had a case in spring where one stay completed several bonuses at once

e.g. was something like

"stay 4 nights" get 8,000 bonus

"stay a weekend" get 4,000 bonus

"stay at a kimpton" get 10,000 bonus

"complete 3 of your offers" get 11,000 bonus

so that might be what happened. But, to answer your question about spire: it's really a status that doesn't mean anything for "perks" it is not like Marriott/spg with real in stay benefits, but it will ensure you get

1- double the amount of points earned per $ spent

2- a good chance, but not guarantee, to receive upgraded room and/or flexibility on check in & out times

I hope this is of help
Old Jul 8, 2018, 1:03 am

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Originally Posted by somedudefromFLa
You could have earned some bonus points from their accelerate prom or whatnot. I had a case in spring where one stay completed several bonuses at once

e.g. was something like

"stay 4 nights" get 8,000 bonus

"stay a weekend" get 4,000 bonus

"stay at a kimpton" get 10,000 bonus

"complete 3 of your offers" get 11,000 bonus
Doesn't count for status.
Old Sep 18, 2018, 10:01 pm

Programs: IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by craigthemif

Status runs annually.

Do stays at a Regent Hotel, earn one any IHG points as yet ?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.