Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > InterContinental Hotels | IHG One Rewards and Intercontinental Ambassador
Reload this Page >

IHG Promotion Fraud / Misleading market / wrong advertisment - you name it.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5, 2018, 11:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: ihg

Hello All,

As a valued Spire Elite member, I took the time to enroll in their latest promotion - THE EASY LIKE SUMMER SALE!!

I dutifully read the terms and conditions, and I was off! I had my first qualifying stay yesterday (that wasn't eligible for points or discounts), and I was ready to enjoy the 20-30% off for all other stays that were booked from now until July 23 for all stays until September 16th........not THAT easy....but whatever.

So, I went online and looked for IHG properties within 30 miles of DFW airport. There're 74! And, to my chagrin, not a single hotel had any Easy Like Summer Room Rates available for the next two days. 'That's curious', I thought to myself. Not even a single hotel out of 74? Then I dug deeper and checked the available dates that some of the hotels did have. Imagine my surprise when I discovered that out of 74 hotels, not a single one had a single date available from Today until the end of September.

Not wanting to believe the worst, I contacted the IHG Members help line in ..... Mumbai? The fine gent there took the time to condescendingly explain to me that I was simply too late! Indeed, he laid out to me that every single one of the 74 hotels had every single room that was available for the program booked in the first two weeks. I snoozed and I lost!

Of course, I call BS.

Question.... To whom could one complain? IHG is about to lose a very loyal customer over an outright Fraudulent Promotion.

Last edited by kcdist; Jul 5, 2018 at 5:17 pm
Old Jul 5, 2018, 12:38 pm

Programs: IHG spire ambassador, SPG/Marriott Gold(new plat), Virgin Atlantic
I don't think you need to book that rate to get the 2/5k bonus points if that's your concern as in the T&C it says " bonus points for second stay on any eligible rates...." Also, I have found while that rate is not "readily available" there are properties offering the rate it just seems the ones I have located are for multiple night stays not single nights, and even then it's like $2 lower than regular advanced purchase. IMHO more marketing gimmick than fraud!

BTW one other thought/ question I had about this promotion: does anyone know if the 2nd stay has to be at same brand???

e.g. say I'm planning to stay next weekend at an indigo for 1st stay... does my future 2nd stay, in order to get the 5k bonus points, have to also be at an indigo? Or could it be at any from that list, perhaps a kimpton??

Thanks in advance for any advice- data points : )
Old Jul 5, 2018, 1:06 pm

I haven't seen anywhere that says it has to be the same brand.
Old Jul 5, 2018, 5:16 pm
Original Poster

The promotion, as I read and understood, was for every booking after the first one, the member would received 2k-5k points AND the discount of 20-30 percent.

My issue is that, when booking through the portal, there are no hotels offering the advertised 20-30 percent off, and they specifically state that they do not have any rooms available for the promotion.

I'm quite sure I'll receive the bonus points....but I'd much rather have the monetary discount.
Old Jul 5, 2018, 6:18 pm

Programs: IHG Platinum / HHonors Diamond / Hyatt Globalist / AA EX Platinum
Was available at 1st 2 places I checked near DFW next weekend. Did I misunderstand the post? Note 3 day advanced purchase, so 2 days no good. Below is Crowne Plaza, HI was also available, didn't check others, but 2 for 2 was a good start.

Last edited by jtc246; Jul 5, 2018 at 6:31 pm
Old Jul 5, 2018, 6:38 pm

Programs: IHG Platinum / HHonors Diamond / Hyatt Globalist / AA EX Platinum
Originally Posted by somedudefromFLa
I don't think you need to book that rate to get the 2/5k bonus points if that's your concern as in the T&C it says " bonus points for second stay on any eligible rates...." Also, I have found while that rate is not "readily available" there are properties offering the rate it just seems the ones I have located are for multiple night stays not single nights, and even then it's like $2 lower than regular advanced purchase. IMHO more marketing gimmick than fraud!

BTW one other thought/ question I had about this promotion: does anyone know if the 2nd stay has to be at same brand???

e.g. say I'm planning to stay next weekend at an indigo for 1st stay... does my future 2nd stay, in order to get the 5k bonus points, have to also be at an indigo? Or could it be at any from that list, perhaps a kimpton??

Thanks in advance for any advice- data points : )
Promo is for 2 night stay minimum
Old Jul 5, 2018, 7:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Any time an OP uses "fraud" in the title, I know with 90% certainty that there is no such thing involved... just an OP's misunderstanding or desire to rant, especially if new to FT.

If you look for one-night stays for a promo with a 2-night minimum, you're going to end up with nothing.
Old Jul 6, 2018, 12:37 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by craigthemif
Any time an OP uses "fraud" in the title, I know with 90% certainty that there is no such thing involved... just an OP's misunderstanding or desire to rant, especially if new to FT.

If you look for one-night stays for a promo with a 2-night minimum, you're going to end up with nothing.
Well....thanks for that, sunshine. Nothing misunderstood. My initial booking attempts were for multiple day stays, booked in advance.

I took the time and effort following the initial post to contact the Salt Lake City number and spoke with a rep based in the USA. I explained the issue, and she took the time to replicate my results.

At this time, the web results now reflect the actual promotion........however, the discounts are underwhelming to say the least. The hotel I ended up booking had a Promotion price of $131.20 per night, compared to the regular IHG members rate of $133.00. A far cry from the 20-30% discount that is hyped on their numerous e-mails to me.
Old Jul 6, 2018, 12:44 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by craigthemif

And further, from Merriam-Webster, one of the definitions of Fraud is 'one that is not what it seems or is represented to be'......that would adequately, and in a legal context, describe how IHG's website and e-mails promoted the 'Sale', compared to how they actually executed it, at least in the DFW market. And to the extent that my 'Sale Discount' for a recent booking under the terms of the 'Sale' amounts to 1.3% compared to the 20-30% advertised, the label 'Fraud' still applies.
Old Jul 6, 2018, 2:07 am

Programs: Skywards Platinum
Originally Posted by kcdist
The hotel I ended up booking had a Promotion price of $131.20 per night, compared to the regular IHG members rate of $133.00. A far cry from the 20-30% discount that is hyped on their numerous e-mails to me.
And further, from Merriam-Webster, one of the definitions of Fraud is 'one that is not what it seems or is represented to be'......that would adequately, and in a legal context, describe how IHG's website and e-mails promoted the 'Sale', compared to how they actually executed it, at least in the DFW market. And to the extent that my 'Sale Discount' for a recent booking under the terms of the 'Sale' amounts to 1.3% compared to the 20-30% advertised, the label 'Fraud' still applies.
Did you read the terms and conditions of the promotion and did you understand them? Per the T&C:

The discount ranges from 20%-30% off the Best Flexible Rate and requires a two night minimum length of stay.

The key word being "Best Flexible Rate". The $133 rate you stated is an "IHG Members Rate" which is not the "Best Flexible Rate" and thus not what you would take the 20% - 30% discount from. I checked a few DFW hotels and sure enough the promotion rate is 20% or more discounted from the "Best Flexible Rate" price listed.

While these promotions are poor and lead you to believe that you would get 20%-30% off the lowest available price, the T&C lay out exactly what they are offering and thus your fraud claim would be unceremoniously thrown right out of court.
Old Jul 6, 2018, 4:59 am
In memoriam

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, IHG Spire, UA Silver, Dennis The Menace Fan Club
Yeah, yeah, yeah, another fraud rant comprehensively debunked. I have no idea why I don’t just treat the word fraud as the click bait it most clearly is...
thunderlounge and markis10 like this.
Old Jul 6, 2018, 5:28 am

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold

As per other FTers replies. A totally unfair attack on IHG. Read and understand the promo text, you do get 20% plus off the flex rate as stated by promo, with restricted purchase terms such as i)minimum nights ii) book nn days ahead.
...... TBH I am a little suprised rate is cheaper than the IHG ADR Your Rarate prices

All chains IHG/MR/HH will similarly hilite a large possible saving/discount for any promo, but the saving nearly always hilites/relates a discount from Best Flex and also ends up being non-cancelable non-changable advance payment rate terms.
Since standard ADR's are typically 20-35% off Full Flex there is minimal or zero discount using promo over a standard ADR rate , and where the chain IHG/MR/HH throws in bonus points (eg +2k/+5k/x2 points per stay) the extra points can result in rate being higher than ADR but less than flex

These types of promos tend to often be targetted at business guest users (same as eg 1k bonus night) where guest stiffs his company the extra usd5-10/night to bank more points, with business guest self-justifying by saying ah but I could have booked xxx hotel at usd20/night more under my companies max rate for that city.

As such these types of bonus points promos are usually not good rates for personal stays out of ones own pocket, I would book either Flex or ADR and ignore this promo, although my corp rate usually results in flex for same rate (or slightly more ) than ADR anyway.
Old Jul 6, 2018, 6:29 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BrightlyBob
Yeah, yeah, yeah, another fraud rant comprehensively debunked. I have no idea why I don’t just treat the word fraud as the click bait it most clearly is...
Not debunked in the least Bush-league-Bobby. When the initial post was written, it was indeed the case that hotels in the DFW market were not offering any available rooms in accordance with the Sale. My initial call to the foreign based agent was met with the response that nothing was wrong, only that it was completely 'Sold Out'. Only after I spoke with a US based agent, and multiple hours later, were rooms available at the discounted rate. I'm not sure if my posting here and my subsequent phone call were the difference, but it sure was a coincidence......To those planning to stay in the DFW area this month.....you're welcome.

As far as the savings of 20-30% constituting the definition of Fraud, perhaps it's a matter of perception. When my inbox gets bombarded with emails from a company announcing major savings on a product that I use frequently, and there is no asterix attached, I get interested. As previously quoted, it was not 'what it seems or is represented to be'. To a reasonable person who is familiar with the product, an excited offer of 20% off would mean just that - 20% off of the regular price they pay (As a Spire Elite Member) for the product. I stand by the term. Not 'criminal' Fraud, nor 'civilly enforceable' Fraud, but Fraud as defined in Merriam-Webster, based on how they marketed the campaign.

Last edited by kcdist; Jul 6, 2018 at 3:31 pm
Old Jul 6, 2018, 12:02 pm

Programs: DL , AC, BA, Hhonors Diamond, IH Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Not fraud, but just typical misleading marketing. These kinds of promotions are rarely good deals. They promise big discounts, but it's always off of the highest rack rates.

Never bother to get excited about "sale" promotions direct from hotel brands.
Old Jul 7, 2018, 4:39 am
Moderator: InterContinental Hotels and Germany

Misleading marketing and fraud might be close together depending on the point of view. If a company - and this is not limited to IHG - announced a deal with NN% of, it clearly pays off, to read off what - the best flexiblle rate, the rack rate ... it is rarely the cheapest available rate. And sometimes it is the secret of the comapny how the discount is calculated. ... In so far I have taken the liberty to edit the thread title a little bit.

I would also use this oppotunity to ask everybody to remain on topic and avoid becoming personal. What someones considers as fraud might be seens by someone else misleading marketing and by another one completely okay. Plese consider different opinions and point of views, as this is forum where many people exchange point of views and share experiences. And it would be boring if we all had the same. A forum lives from this diversity and there is not need to become personal.

FLYGVA
co-moderator IHG Forum
thunderlounge likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.