Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Change date of award night after point increase

Search this Thread

Old May 11, 2018, 5:29 pm
Original Poster

Change date of award night after point increase

I made an award reservation when the hotel was 15,000 per night and it is now 20,000 per night. Can I change the date (same hotel) and not have to pay the extra 5,000 points?
Old May 12, 2018, 5:03 am

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
no, as a modify is always a separate i)cancel res ii)new res booking, process of reservations with new res at that date+time room rates.

As such it sometimes costs more to rebook an early 5night flex res to a 4night res, not only not saving monies but actually costing more.

Even at checkin the desk agent is meant to reprice a stay if you say only staying 4nights of 5nights and won't need last night. However often clerk simply ajusts at checkin by just dropping cost of a last night. Which is not what hotel revenue managers tell clerks to do.
Old May 13, 2018, 10:56 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold, oneworld Emerald
Originally Posted by mileshound
I made an award reservation when the hotel was 15,000 per night and it is now 20,000 per night. Can I change the date (same hotel) and not have to pay the extra 5,000 points?
Sadly, no.
Old May 14, 2018, 3:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
I had one of the guys from NoMasCoach insist to me this weekend that they changed a reservation in Thailand and managed to keep the lower points rate.

That doesn't reflect my experience though so YMMV. You should always book IHG reward stays on a night-by-night basis. It's a nightmare for longer stays, but allows you to drop unwanted nights without screwing up the rest of your nights.
Old May 14, 2018, 7:34 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold, oneworld Emerald
Originally Posted by craigthemif
I had one of the guys from NoMasCoach insist to me this weekend that they changed a reservation in Thailand and managed to keep the lower points rate.
That doesn't reflect my experience though so YMMV. You should always book IHG reward stays on a night-by-night basis. It's a nightmare for longer stays, but allows you to drop unwanted nights without screwing up the rest of your nights.
Unfortunately, IHG does not allow points bookings without actual points, so booking some property for 40–50k per night for a range of dates "just in case" may not be possible.
Old May 14, 2018, 12:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by barracuda93
Unfortunately, IHG does not allow points bookings without actual points, so booking some property for 40–50k per night for a range of dates "just in case" may not be possible.
Fair enough, but I'm talking about booking 7 nights but then wanting to arrive a day late or leave a day early and finding that the whole thing needs re-pricing.
Old May 14, 2018, 1:24 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Sixt Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott/SPG Gold .....
As computers are weird strange things happen once in a while. Booked a 25k a night hotel for a night > hotel went up in points > didn't need the room > got the higher amount of points refunded

Had another hotel that I cancelled a day later (which went up in points too) but here I only got the original points back.
barracuda93 likes this.
Old May 17, 2018, 6:28 pm

Programs: UA 3.6MM, AF/KL Lifetime Plat, BA Gold, AA 1MM, IC Spire RA, Kimpton IC, Marriott Plat, et alia
Originally Posted by barracuda93
It's not only an issue with repricing and changes in point redemption levels -- that is a once-a-year kind of occurrence. But it's also worrying about free nights being unavailable later when you end up in effect cancelling and rebooking.

But the strategy you should take if you're not quite sure of end dates is to book the free nights as individual, consecutive, reservations, across the entire span. So you have all the room nights "in the bank" now, and you will cancel the extra nights at the beginning and/or end of your stay that you end up not needing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.