Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > InterContinental Hotels | IHG One Rewards and Intercontinental Ambassador
Reload this Page >

What is acceptable price for a steam rice in a holiday inn in Thailand?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What is acceptable price for a steam rice in a holiday inn in Thailand?

Search this Thread

Old May 9, 2018, 9:22 am

Programs: IC Dia RA / Marriott LT Plat / WOH Globalist / Hilton Diamond / OZ Diamond Plus
For fried rice, 300 or up. But just steam rice? 50 would be enough. But steam rice usually for free if you order main dish.
Old May 9, 2018, 12:00 pm

Programs: OW Emerald, *A gold, Skyteam elite plus, Hilton gold, SPG gold
Originally Posted by mcgahat
Such a good point. I dont know much about the process at the Holiday Inn properties but I know some service workers at other Intl properties I have visited in BKK often commented on how many hours they spend on food hygiene training etc., that costs money. There is the facilities costs as well as you mention. Of course Intl hotel chains are also looking for a higher margin than a street vendor often is. Just a lot of factors involved in pricing.

We have quite a conversation in this thread and we dont even know why the question was asked!
do you know how much is the minimum wage in Thailand? 200 THB or $6.00 USD /5.00 Euro per day. So a bawl of rice above 100THB will equal 50% of the day salary of an average Thai worker.
Old May 9, 2018, 1:08 pm

Programs: It's Complicated...
Originally Posted by RolfD
do you know how much is the minimum wage in Thailand? 200 THB or $6.00 USD /5.00 Euro per day. So a bawl of rice above 100THB will equal 50% of the day salary of an average Thai worker.
Yes, I am aware of the minimum wage in Thailand. There are of course more things in the cost of F&B at a hotel than just minimum wage which isn't always the wage paid to restaurant workers depending on the property.....but again, the employ wage is just one item in the equation. I am simply explaining the economics of a street vendor versus an international hotel restaurant.
Old May 9, 2018, 3:20 pm

Programs: Spire RA, 1865 Voyager, Bonvoy Titanium, FB LP, LH SEN.
Originally Posted by LondonElite
Any chance you could break the suspense and tell us how much you paid for plain rice in the end?
Whether the op comes back or not, this has been the most interesting and insightful thread in this forum for a long time. Might build some research theory about the question of perceived fair rice prices in Thailand.
Old May 9, 2018, 11:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
Originally Posted by RolfD
And the room rates equals their monthly salary. So what? This is neither surprising nor unique. The target group of an international hotel is not the minimum wage worker in Thailand. By the way: the minimum wage in Germany is something in the range of €66 a day minus tax minus social security which equals about €45. A 1/4 pounder beef-burger with chips in the Intercontinental Dusseldorf costs about €20. The beef burger in McDonald’s costs about €5. Food prices in international hotels have nothing in common with domestic local markets.
Old May 17, 2018, 9:14 pm

Programs: UA 3.6MM, AF/KL Lifetime Plat, BA Gold, AA 1MM, IC Spire RA, Kimpton IC, Marriott Plat, et alia
Acceptable price is set by the market.

If you agree to pay the price offered, you have accepted.

If you don't agree, it is not acceptable to you (though it may, to others). If enough people don't accept it, then a rational vendor may take steps to reduce the price, or go out of business.

Remember when you are dining in a hotel, you are not just buying the bowl of rice -- you are buying the convenience, and perhaps other aspects such as safety and sanitation. In the case of room service, an even higher degree of convenience (and likely even higher price).
You should expect virtually anything in a hotel is significantly more expensive. Up to you whether you pay it or not.
Old May 17, 2018, 9:19 pm

Programs: UA 3.6MM, AF/KL Lifetime Plat, BA Gold, AA 1MM, IC Spire RA, Kimpton IC, Marriott Plat, et alia
Originally Posted by Flying Lawyer

And the room rates equals their monthly salary. So what? This is neither surprising nor unique. The target group of an international hotel is not the minimum wage worker in Thailand. By the way: the minimum wage in Germany is something in the range of €66 a day minus tax minus social security which equals about €45. A 1/4 pounder beef-burger with chips in the Intercontinental Dusseldorf costs about €20. The beef burger in McDonald’s costs about €5. Food prices in international hotels have nothing in common with domestic local markets.
Actually the Big Mac costs about 4 euro ($4.80) in Germany ...
Big Mac Index
McDonald's Menu
Although I love the fact you can get a McRib, as well as a beer, in McD's in Germany

Last edited by vsevolod4; May 17, 2018 at 9:24 pm
Old May 18, 2018, 1:19 am

Originally Posted by vsevolod4
Actually the Big Mac costs about 4 euro ($4.80) in Germany ...
Big Mac Index
McDonald's Menu
Although I love the fact you can get a McRib, as well as a beer, in McD's in Germany
Beer is regarded as a soft drink in Germany.

I have a Thai wife , and last month flew my Mother in law and 2 Nephews from Chiang-rai to Bangkok for 3 days and on to Phuket for a week. Mil who has done some International travel with us was, as expected horrified by the prices in Phuket. She would expect to pay 10 baht for a bowl of steamed rice. Once she got over the prices in Phuket she accepted the fact that costs were higher and so drove up prices.

It was great to see the looks on my Nephews faces 11 and 16 on their first trip out of Chiang-rai. They just accepted the pricing for what it was, and were delighted to go jetskiing banana boating etc. They had no comparison of what these things cost as they were not available at home.
Old May 18, 2018, 1:45 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by jms_uk
Obviously I am talking about the rice provided by the hotel.

Even cheaper might be to wait until he gets home and cooks it himself?
Location, location, location as the real estate agents say.
Old May 18, 2018, 4:21 am

Programs: OW Emerald, *A gold, Skyteam elite plus, Hilton gold, SPG gold
Originally Posted by Flying Lawyer

you are comparing apples with oranges. While in Germany the minimum wage allows you to buy a burger a McDonald Or even in Kadewe if he or she choose to. The Thai worker can not afford a burger because the price of the burger will exceed his daily wage.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.