Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > InterContinental Hotels | IHG One Rewards and Intercontinental Ambassador
Reload this Page >

What is acceptable price for a steam rice in a holiday inn in Thailand?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What is acceptable price for a steam rice in a holiday inn in Thailand?

Search this Thread

Old May 8, 2018, 5:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Maybe OP needs to order F&B in order to achieve accelerate and considering ordering a bowl of rice to complete the mission.

Probably it's cheaper to eat a buffet lunch at the hotel restaurant and tap into the bill.
Old May 8, 2018, 6:23 am

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by Juntima
I remember their fried rice to be 300++ THB, so I would say anything under 100 THB for a bowl of stream rice would be reasonable by hotel standard. Though, not by Thai standard
Hey the IC Bali tweaked room menu prices and a humble nasi goreng (fried rice) Is now 180,000 IDR plus 21% so about 15USD. That's like 5 times the cost od eating outside at a restaurant (not street stall). Hotel prices can be insane.
Old May 8, 2018, 7:05 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: Accor Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, SQ Gold, Qatar Platinum
Originally Posted by demue
Hey the IC Bali tweaked room menu prices and a humble nasi goreng (fried rice) Is now 180,000 IDR plus 21% so about 15USD. That's like 5 times the cost od eating outside at a restaurant (not street stall). Hotel prices can be insane.
I guess it sort of works psychologically in a way. If they offer something cheap, they would be mentally seen as cheap. And it is fried rice with IC brand on it, work the same way as designer bags

Personally, I would prefer walking out and eating out at a restaurant nearby lol.
Old May 8, 2018, 7:30 am

Originally Posted by jms_uk
Surely, the guest has to pay whatever the hotel charges?
Not if he decides the hotel is too expensive and nips out to the 7-11.
Old May 8, 2018, 7:41 am

Programs: SK Gold, ITA Executive, Sixt Diamond, Hertz PC, Avis PC, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by Norri
Not if he decides the hotel is too expensive and nips out to the 7-11.
Obviously I am talking about the rice provided by the hotel.

Even cheaper might be to wait until he gets home and cooks it himself?
Old May 8, 2018, 10:20 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
The OP's username is the answer to the OP's question.
Old May 8, 2018, 10:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Comparing the in-room $8 Snicker's Bar at the La Peer, this rice sounds like an astounding bargain.
Old May 8, 2018, 12:51 pm

Programs: OW Emerald, *A gold, Skyteam elite plus, Hilton gold, SPG gold
Originally Posted by tinatimes
50 to 60 thb
I totally agree with your comment,
Old May 8, 2018, 12:57 pm

I remember their fried rice to be 300++ THB, so I would say anything under 100 THB for a bowl of stream rice would be reasonable by hotel standard. Though, not by Thai standard
with 300 to 500 Baths you can eat at few Michelin Stars restaurants in Bangkok, e.g. the Local, Err, Taste ( one of my favorite restaurants in Bangkok). so a 300 Baht for a fried rice is way too expensive for Bangkok
Old May 8, 2018, 4:51 pm
Marriott Contributor BadgeWyndham Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz PC, Hilton DMD, IHG Spire Amb, Bonvoy Titanium Elite & WoH Globalist
THB 10-20 (depending on your nationality) from a street cart and take to your room for kin khao!

At buffet breakfast, it is included.
Old May 9, 2018, 1:35 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by NotTellYou
Dear all, how much is considered a reasonable price on a bowl of white steam rice in a holiday inn in Thailand ?
Any chance you could break the suspense and tell us how much you paid for plain rice in the end?
princeville likes this.
Old May 9, 2018, 1:51 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: Accor Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, SQ Gold, Qatar Platinum
Originally Posted by RolfD
with 300 to 500 Baths you can eat at few Michelin Stars restaurants in Bangkok, e.g. the Local, Err, Taste ( one of my favorite restaurants in Bangkok). so a 300 Baht for a fried rice is way too expensive for Bangkok
Room service at hotels is always over priced I guess, cause we pay for convenience too. Since there is no competition (I doubt we could order pizza delivered to the room lol), hotels would not care and they could charge premium, we either take it or walk out else where. I agreed that 300THB for a fried rice is way too much, considering it's such a simple dish, and average price at a normal restaurant would not be more than 100THB. Also, that costs about the same as daily minimum wage in Thailand
Old May 9, 2018, 3:23 am

Room service at hotels is always over priced I guess, cause we pay for convenience too. Since there is no competition (I doubt we could order pizza delivered to the room lol), hotels would not care and they could charge premium, we either take it or walk out else where. I agreed that 300THB for a fried rice is way too much, considering it's such a simple dish, and average price at a normal restaurant would not be more than 100THB. Also, that costs about the same as daily minimum wage in Thailand
I totally agree with you but in Thailand restaurants are everywhere. I use hotel room service on remote locations where the near restaurant is a drive away.

IMO there is no reason to pay more than 70 thb for a bawl of steam rice at the hotel.
Old May 9, 2018, 3:39 am

I would expect to pay a couple hundred baht minimum for ANY menu item at any international chain hotel. It has nothing to do with the local price level. It’s about the cost of doing business, staff salaries, EVERYTHING involved in the cost of hotel operation folded in to the menu price.
Old May 9, 2018, 6:42 am

Programs: It's Complicated...
Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo
I would expect to pay a couple hundred baht minimum for ANY menu item at any international chain hotel. It has nothing to do with the local price level. It’s about the cost of doing business, staff salaries, EVERYTHING involved in the cost of hotel operation folded in to the menu price.
Such a good point. I dont know much about the process at the Holiday Inn properties but I know some service workers at other Intl properties I have visited in BKK often commented on how many hours they spend on food hygiene training etc., that costs money. There is the facilities costs as well as you mention. Of course Intl hotel chains are also looking for a higher margin than a street vendor often is. Just a lot of factors involved in pricing.

We have quite a conversation in this thread and we dont even know why the question was asked!
MikeFromTokyo likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.