Search

Earning points on award stays?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2018, 10:17 am
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hilton - Diamond, IHG - Spire Amb
Earning points on award stays?

I'm sorry that I don't see an existing thread on this.

I have found that I have not been earning points on award stays. They show up in my account as either:

"Non-Qualifying Stay: Discounted Rate"
"Overlapping Stay"
"IHG Rewards Club Credit Card Free Night"

We had 3 nights at the IC Moorea with free night certs and paid for 1/2 board (breakfast buffet every day) with no points posting
We had 2 nights at a Holiday Inn Express on Hawaii, HI booked as 2 one night back to back reservations on points. Parking charge assessed to room bill - no points posted.

Should I expect points on award/chase IHG free nights?
What is the least painful way to pursue this? ;-)
Old Mar 27, 2018, 11:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
The overlapping stay issue is one that might affect your ability to collect points on incidentals. Were you actually in two places at once? Otherwise, I would not necessarily pursue the parking charges, as those may not necessarily be applicable, but I would definitely ask about the credit for breakfast.
Old Mar 27, 2018, 12:25 pm
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hilton - Diamond, IHG - Spire Amb
Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
The overlapping stay issue is one that might affect your ability to collect points on incidentals. Were you actually in two places at once? Otherwise, I would not necessarily pursue the parking charges, as those may not necessarily be applicable, but I would definitely ask about the credit for breakfast.
Same location, one room, just 1 night stays strung together. I will try to pursue the breakfast one. Thank you.
Old Mar 27, 2018, 1:30 pm

Per T&Cs:

"Eligible Charges,” except at Kimpton hotels, also include food and beverage, telephone, laundry, and in-room movies charged to the Member's room. Charges at restaurants not operated by the hotel may not be eligible for Points. Hotels may choose to award Points for other charges at their discretion.
Old Mar 29, 2018, 6:36 am

Programs: UA 3.6MM, AF/KL Lifetime Plat, BA Gold, AA 1MM, IC Spire RA, Kimpton IC, Marriott Plat, et alia
Overlapping stay requirement can be waived if indeed you "went back in time" across the dateline; e.g. from Polynesia to Hawaii. Just talk to the CSR.

But "overlapping" may also trigger with back to back stays if you don't check out/check in each time.
Each of the reservations starts out as a separate folio. So let's say the reservations are 24th through 25th, and 25th through 26th.
If you're staying in the same room, then they will sometimes modify the first or the second folio to be 24th through 26th. The other reservation remain, but you're now "overlapping."
So depends which of the folios got the points, and which one posted first.
In the US you should get credit for up to 10 rooms, so you should get credit for both. But not globally, for example in Japan, you only get credit for one room. If the "null" folio posts first, the folio with the charges may then get zero points.

As for parking, that's not automatically a points-earning activity (only food, beverage, room service and a few other incidentals). When booking paid rates, this is one reason to select a "free parking included" rate if offered.

Keep in mind that your non-overlapping nights still qualify for tier status (free stays count)
Old Mar 29, 2018, 12:41 pm

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Carl Christensen
I'm sorry that I don't see an existing thread on this.

I have found that I have not been earning points on award stays. They show up in my account as either:

"Non-Qualifying Stay: Discounted Rate"
"Overlapping Stay"
"IHG Rewards Club Credit Card Free Night"

We had 3 nights at the IC Moorea with free night certs and paid for 1/2 board (breakfast buffet every day) with no points posting
We had 2 nights at a Holiday Inn Express on Hawaii, HI booked as 2 one night back to back reservations on points. Parking charge assessed to room bill - no points posted.

Should I expect points on award/chase IHG free nights?,
What is the least painful way to pursue this? ;-)
any charge/upsell added to room rate does not accrue points on free nights (CC/Points). when one expanded ones bill online (not checked after recent website redesign) lines existed for various categories, eg Room, f+b.

An example of upsell added to room charge is "lounge access". I can quite readily see half-board upsell, where hotel sells rooms with half-bord, being allocated to room cost, so on award nights not giving you points for the upsell.

Alternately paying for a meal in restaurant and charging to room would give one points.
Carl Christensen likes this.
Old Mar 29, 2018, 2:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
It's true across all chains that there are sometimes restaurants that are not affiliated with the restaurant, but do have an agreement where meals can be billed to the room.
Old Apr 15, 2018, 6:32 pm

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
For what it's worth, I noted IHG t+c text is much updated since I last remember looking 6months or so ago. Historicaly many IHGers have posted about whether points should post on award ights for various extra spend such as room upgrades, f+b, etc. And that contacting helpdesk when no points posted for ancilliary spend results in two different outcomes
i)helpdesk operator gives points
ii)helpdesk operator says award nights don't earn

Anyway under latest t+c's see "point 29. Exclusions " (2nd of 4 paragraphs)
https://www.ihg.com/content/gb/en/cu...member-tc.html

"Members will not earn Points and/or enjoy Member benefits during a Stay, or earn Points retroactively, on any reservations booked through Online Travel Agencies (OTAs) or through unauthorised travel agents on online vertical travel portals. This restriction includes but is not limited to: earning Points on food and beverage purchases, parking, in-room dining, movies, and any other incidental charges incurred during the Member’s Stay. "

"Points are not issued for Stays at the following reduced room rates, which are Non-Qualifying Rates, and which make a Stay a Non-Qualifying Stay: net wholesale individual and group rates, certain package rates, the employee discount rate, the friends and family rate, the crew rate, special discounted contract rates, the seasonal worker/crew rate, the 50% travel club discount rate, the distressed passenger rate, IHG Rewards Club Reward Nights/Airline Hotel Reward rate, most rates booked through most third-party web sites, complimentary hotel Stays, and any other rates not defined as Qualifying Rates. "

.. My take
So based on above, looks like all award night spend is not meant to earn points (just like OTA booked nights). and IHG have in current terms now hilited that on all non-qualifying rate nights that no points are earned what so ever. (also see points 15 and 18 )
Old Apr 15, 2018, 7:14 pm

Programs: UA 3.6MM, AF/KL Lifetime Plat, BA Gold, AA 1MM, IC Spire RA, Kimpton IC, Marriott Plat, et alia
I've had meals (OK, bar tabs) and tips (at the Club Lounge charged to my room) give me points when charged on my folio for a free stay at an IC in the US just 2 weeks ago.
YMMV.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 2:18 am

deleted

Last edited by markle; May 25, 2023 at 6:48 am
Old Apr 17, 2018, 4:34 pm

Returned about 10 days ago from award stays at IC Le Moana, IC Thalasso and IC Tahiti. Points earned from incidentals as follows:

- IC Tahiti - points posted in acct automatically
- IC Le Moana - points posted after I submitted a missing point report AND submitted hotel bill
- IC Thalasso - points posted after I submitted a missing point report
Old Apr 19, 2018, 5:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
I had overlapping stay appeared in my IHG account too! I have never been in 2 places at once (never booked for anyone else apart from myself).

I guess it's IHG's IT.
Old Apr 20, 2018, 2:22 am

Programs: HH Dia, IHG Dia Amb, MB Ti, WoH G, OWE
Speak-up directly to Guest Relation CS team (US toll-free: 1-800-621-0555) rather than regular CS agent. They are very much competent and helpful in event point not posted correctly on "Eligible Charges" and many other issues in my case. Recently, they resolved my case modifying nightly room rate on my upcoming non-refundable/non-cancellable stay while hotel's account/reservation dept. seems not very helpful.
Originally Posted by scubaccr
Anyway under latest t+c's see "point 29. Exclusions " (2nd of 4 paragraphs)
https://www.ihg.com/content/gb/en/cu...member-tc.html

"Members will not earn Points and/or enjoy Member benefits during a Stay, or earn Points retroactively, on any reservations booked through Online Travel Agencies (OTAs) or through unauthorised travel agents on online vertical travel portals. This restriction includes but is not limited to: earning Points on food and beverage purchases, parking, in-room dining, movies, and any other incidental charges incurred during the Member’s Stay. "
BTW, I could only see "Exclusions" is solely "on any reservations booked through Online Travel Agencies (OTAs) or through unauthorised travel agents on online vertical travel portals" under clause 29 in T&C. Good luck!

Last edited by shahr04360; Apr 20, 2018 at 6:24 am
Old Apr 20, 2018, 8:52 am

I've just been surprised by this as well.
I did not earn points on room service & restaurant charges for several recent Kimpton stays: 1 was Points + Cash and 2 were Award nights.
I thought that restaurant charges & room service would earn points regardless of how the room was paid for. This came as news to me!
Old Apr 21, 2018, 9:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by vizslaky
I've just been surprised by this as well.
I did not earn points on room service & restaurant charges for several recent Kimpton stays: 1 was Points + Cash and 2 were Award nights.
I thought that restaurant charges & room service would earn points regardless of how the room was paid for. This came as news to me!
Apparently, back when their properties were finally integrated into the IHG system it was mentioned that Kimpton incidentals were completely non-qualifying, but I never noticed that so was unpleasantly surprised as you were when mine failed to post.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.