Wiki Posts
Search

IHG to buy Belmond?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28, 2018, 8:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: Some
IHG to buy Belmond?

The Times (the London one) reporting that preliminary talks held with IHG - https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/b...sion-x6hlj5cqt
Old Feb 28, 2018, 9:24 am
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Assuming it’s integrated with IHG Rewards, that would be a very promising development and would certainly add some truly aspirational properties... although I shudder to think about what the redemption amounts would be for some of those properties. I could see 100k redemptions.
Old Feb 28, 2018, 3:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dw
Assuming it’s integrated with IHG Rewards, that would be a very promising development and would certainly add some truly aspirational properties... although I shudder to think about what the redemption amounts would be for some of those properties. I could see 100k redemptions.
Redemption for train rides too? The article says Belmond is both a hotel and train operator.

Last edited by sdsearch; Feb 28, 2018 at 6:59 pm Reason: spelling
Old Feb 28, 2018, 4:01 pm
Suspended

Some interesting properties but may not fit in with the mass brand of IHG. It is possible that you can earn points with IHG rewards Club, but I do not see they would allow you to redeem for a night unless IHG to do a points to cash conversion style redemption.
Old Mar 1, 2018, 3:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by sdsearch
Redemption for train rides too? The article says Belmond is both a hotel and train operator.
It owns the Orient Express - we're not talking commuter trains here; given it's purely a leisure travel train I don't think a redemption option (at an insane amount of points) would be that bad as an idea!
Old Mar 1, 2018, 4:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by lost_in_translation
It owns the Orient Express - we're not talking commuter trains here; given it's purely a leisure travel train I don't think a redemption option (at an insane amount of points) would be that bad as an idea!
Not a new one either. Back in the day when Sea Containers ran Orient Express (Trains and Hotels which are both now Belmond) and air miles were the BA reward currency there were air mile redemption options for Orient Express trips from the UK only British Pullman to the full London to Venice. We are probably talking about 24 years ago.
Old Mar 5, 2018, 10:59 am

Belmond also do luxury train trips in Scotland.
Old Mar 5, 2018, 4:08 pm

Programs: IC/AMB - Diamond Elite, AC E50K, AA, AM-Onyx, HH-Diamond, BW, Choice - Gold
Originally Posted by lost_in_translation
Based on the attached sample fares, I doubt that train trips would be offered in exchange for IHG Rewards points....

https://www.luxury-trains.co.uk/veni...rain-fares.htm
Old Mar 7, 2018, 1:37 am

Programs: NZ*G ELT, VA-G
https://skift.com/2018/03/06/intercontinental-hotels-is-closing-in-on-a-luxury-acquisition/

CEO has now denied the Belmond rumour.
Old Mar 7, 2018, 1:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Xiaotung
https://skift.com/2018/03/06/intercontinental-hotels-is-closing-in-on-a-luxury-acquisition/

CEO has now denied the Belmond rumour.
Here's a clickable version:

https://skift.com/2018/03/06/interco...y-acquisition/

The article also says that IHG may be considering buying another chain in the luxury space, just a different one than Belmond.
Old Mar 7, 2018, 3:01 pm

Programs: FB Plat, IHG RA Spire, TK Elite+, HH Diamond, LH SEN, Marriott Titanium
Also we have

four seasons
shangri-la
mandarin oriental
kempinski
taj

Who else am I missing? I know after speaking to a high up four seasons GM a couple of years ago they are very asset light.

I feel four seasons is reasonably active and moving so it won’t be them. He mentioned someone who needs a little love...
Old Mar 7, 2018, 3:04 pm
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by Lewis42
He mentioned someone who needs a little love...
Saw thst yesterday and was thinking... Kempinski
Old Mar 7, 2018, 3:13 pm

Programs: Spire RA, 1865 Voyager, Bonvoy Titanium, FB LP, LH SEN.
Originally Posted by dw
Saw thst yesterday and was thinking... Kempinski
Shangri-la and Kempinski are on the same level as ICs in the big Asian market. Differentiating and moving them to luxury would require a whole lot of love. I don't see the value.

Mandarin and FS sound interesting; then there is asset heavy and family controlled Oberoi and slowly growing but very solid Langham...?
Raynyan likes this.

Last edited by Chinatrvl; Mar 7, 2018 at 3:18 pm
Old Mar 9, 2018, 10:02 am

Programs: Spire Ambassdor
Mandarin Oriental
Kempinski
Rosewood Hotel Group
Langham Hospitality Group
Old Mar 9, 2018, 4:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by taecu
Mandarin Oriental
Kempinski
Rosewood Hotel Group
Langham Hospitality Group
Langham isn't any different to IC. Same with Kempinski.

Rosewood and MO are TOO high end, that's the problem. Belmond was better - some famous hotels but not really well run and better suited to being put into the IHG sausage factory.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.