Community
Wiki Posts
Search

question about coffee cups?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2018, 9:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: delta,southwest--companion pass,hilton---diamond,marriott---gold,choice
question about coffee cups?

hello all,

for now i will not name the property except that it was a holiday inn in a world capital, i saw the maid, housekeeper washing out the coffee cups/ mugs in the sink, this is in a country without potable water from the tap, was i wrong to complain? i am from the usa, and i think that this is terrible, even with potable drinkable water as we have in the usa, i met with the manager and he said they used very hot water from the sink, i think it is un-safe and un-sanitary and he will notate it in my files that i want my coffee mugs, cups to be cleaned in the dishwasher, not by the maid in the sink, am i wrong to have complained? is anyone else as upset about this as i was/am?

thank you,
kctigers-
Old Jan 22, 2018, 9:40 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
That is common practice, there are multiple news stories on the topic and it is entirely sanctioned by the chain and the property.

Whether one likes non-disposable cups or not, if it is outside a restaurant setting, you don't want to consider the "china".
Old Jan 23, 2018, 10:57 pm

Programs: AA PLTPRO, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
I hope it wasn't this situation: Chinese hotel cleaners caught using toilet brush to wash cups and basins | South China Morning Post
Old Jan 24, 2018, 2:08 am

If I use the in-room cups, I always give them a good rinse with hot water (in the sink!) myself before using them.
That said, I tend to travel only to places where tap water is potable.
Old Jan 24, 2018, 2:59 am

Programs: SQ QPPS, IHG Spire
I use the in-room cups for my tea and coffee. But before using them, I always boil a pot of hot water in the water kettle and use the hot water to rinse the cups. Then I pour away the water and boil a fresh kettle of water.

A waste of water I know, but having read articles on what people do with the cups and kettles, I just want to err on the safe side.
Old Jan 24, 2018, 6:03 am

Programs: QF Gold, VA Plat, IHG Plat Amb, LCAH Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Often1
Whether one likes non-disposable cups or not, if it is outside a restaurant setting, you don't want to consider the "china".
Even in a restaurants in a lot of countries, dishes generally are washed in water you wouldn't consider drinking...
Old Jan 30, 2018, 2:26 am

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by Pseudo Nym
I use the in-room cups for my tea and coffee. But before using them, I always boil a pot of hot water in the water kettle and use the hot water to rinse the cups. Then I pour away the water and boil a fresh kettle of water.

A waste of water I know, but having read articles on what people do with the cups and kettles, I just want to err on the safe side.
Hmm, maybe you want to google a few keywords like "boil", "kettle", "hotel" and "underwear" together and have a look through some of the news reports from around Aug 24-30 2017.

I also considered your approach till then, nowadays I call for cups and hot water from room service if needed.
Old Jan 30, 2018, 5:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by kctigers
hello all,

for now i will not name the property except that it was a holiday inn in a world capital, i saw the maid, housekeeper washing out the coffee cups/ mugs in the sink, this is in a country without potable water from the tap, was i wrong to complain? i am from the usa, and i think that this is terrible, even with potable drinkable water as we have in the usa, i met with the manager and he said they used very hot water from the sink, i think it is un-safe and un-sanitary and he will notate it in my files that i want my coffee mugs, cups to be cleaned in the dishwasher, not by the maid in the sink, am i wrong to have complained? is anyone else as upset about this as i was/am?

The travelling world seems divided into those who worry about these things and those who don't. I'm a don't and I've never knowingly suffered in a life packed with travel.

Crockery isn't going to be autoclaved and it's unlikely to be replaced with steam-cleaned, machine washed items daily. So not much point complaining, just use the kettle to rinse out with boiling water if that makes you feel safer.
Old Jan 30, 2018, 6:08 am

Programs: Air Canada P25K, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Gold, MGM Gold
Originally Posted by kctigers
...he will notate it in my files that i want my coffee mugs, cups to be cleaned in the dishwasher, not by the maid in the sink
That's cute I don't think you are wrong to have complained but I don't think it will accomplish anything. This is common practice and taking all the coffee cups (and water glasses) from every room to run through the dishwasher is impractical. So, you have 3 choices:
1) pack some paper cups in your luggage (like I do);
2) rinse them with boiling water; or
3) don't let it bother you.
ARR72 likes this.
Old Jan 30, 2018, 8:12 am

Programs: Infinity Milage Lands Gold,Star Alliance Gold, IHG Diamond RA, Kimpton Inner Circle
I have seen the maid doing this plenty of times but never really thought much of it to be honest, I have never got sick in all my travel through SE Asia even with all the street food I have eaten over the years, which is why I probably have never given it a second thought.

I just give the cups a wipe and that's it not even a rinse with water from the kettle, I must be made of strong stuff
Old Jan 30, 2018, 8:31 am

Programs: AA, Delta, NWA,HHonors, Hyatt BF
I always bring a little bottle of anti-bacterial washing soap (dishwasher, hand, etc.) for stuff I'm suspicious of, and I give the tub a go before I use it. If you dare use the china, give it a go as well. I believe this would fix the issue. Also, wipes for the remote, toilet flusher, door knobs and fridge handles. I have issues.
Old Jan 30, 2018, 11:34 am

Programs: BAEC - Gold, IHG - Spire Ambassador
I have used in room cups and water for years. I am in my 50s and have never got ill so far. If you have a delicate disposition then I would avoid travel as there are loads of germs everywhere. If you are healthy, then travel away, enjoy a cuppa and do not worry.......
Old Jan 30, 2018, 11:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Unless you're personally preparing everything you eat and drink while traveling (anywhere, not just overseas), you're probably best not to think too much about this.
Old Jan 30, 2018, 3:43 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pto, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Reusable drinking vessels and even the Keurig are ignored on my stays as I assume they are maintained to this level. Rule applies both to US and elsewhere.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.