Wiki Posts
Search

Rewards nights redemption rules

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2018, 6:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Exec Gold, IHG Platinum, Hilton Honors Silver
Rewards nights redemption rules

I have several hundred thousand IHG points which i planned to use for a trip later this year. Much to my surprise when searching for for availability it became clear that I was only being offered queen rooms and there was no availability in either King rooms or suites.

I contacted IHG customer care and was pretty astonished at their response which was that reward nights will only ever be available for use in the lowest category of room that a hotel has due to the fact that these are "non income generating customers".
I have certainly used rewards nights for "better" rooms in the past and the amount of points required to redeem reflected this. Customer care were utterly adamant that this was a non negotiable criteria and has always been the case.

Has anyone come across this? Is there any way the hotels can override this if I contact them directly.? I have no objection to paying additional points, simply that the queen room configuration does not meet my needs
Old Jan 18, 2018, 8:09 am

Programs: DL PM, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire
Over the last 4 years, I have never seen the ability to use points on better rooms, such as suites. However, typically I see a base-level King and Queen room for the same price in points; I have run across some properties that only offer a Queen room on points from time to time (as you describe), though it is quite rare in my experience.
Old Jan 18, 2018, 11:48 am

Programs: IHG Platinum
The first time I stayed at London City they had deluxe rooms in one or two bed options available for points, this is one level up from the bottom, the rest of the times i have stayed they have only had standard rooms, with one bed available
Old Jan 18, 2018, 2:31 pm
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Gold, VA Gold, IHG Spire, Accor Plat, Marriot Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by tkelsay
Over the last 4 years, I have never seen the ability to use points on better rooms, such as suites. However, typically I see a base-level King and Queen room for the same price in points; I have run across some properties that only offer a Queen room on points from time to time (as you describe), though it is quite rare in my experience.
i have seen quite a few properties that open rewards nights to higher classed rooms, including suites, but it’s still rare. Having said that, if bedding preference is the issue, a simple note saying prefer xxxx on the booking will often see your wish granted.
Old Jan 18, 2018, 3:13 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Hilton HHonors Diamond, IHG Plat
Here is what torques me off about IHG's way of doling out Award rooms. Say you have a family of 4 and need a basic 2 queen/double or 1 King plus sofa bed room. Hotel only uses their 1 King room (no sofa bed) as their award inventory. Family of 4 is SOL even though they only want a basic room.
Old Jan 18, 2018, 3:34 pm
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by scottish minnie
Has anyone come across this? Is there any way the hotels can override this if I contact them directly.? I have no objection to paying additional points, simply that the queen room configuration does not meet my needs
I suspect hotels have a lot of leeway in what they can do (if they want to do it.) A couple of years ago I called the Ft. Walton Beach HI Resort property and talked with their management. I was able to get their 2-bedroom presidential suite for the points on 1 standard room plus $100/night. And this was the 3rd week of July, one of their busiest weeks. I was very happy with that arrangement as that suite was huge with 2 different balconies both fully ocean front, a full kitchen and living room, a separate entry area plus the 2 separate bedrooms.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 6:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Exec Gold, IHG Platinum, Hilton Honors Silver
Originally Posted by markis10

i have seen quite a few properties that open rewards nights to higher classed rooms, including suites, but it’s still rare. Having said that, if bedding preference is the issue, a simple note saying prefer xxxx on the booking will often see your wish granted.
Thanks
i think I will book and email the hotel directly requesting that the room has a king bed. If they can't accommodate me I can always cancel and have the points refunded.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 7:51 am

Programs: IHG AMB/Spire, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by scottish minnie

Thanks
i think I will book and email the hotel directly requesting that the room has a king bed. If they can't accommodate me I can always cancel and have the points refunded.
correct - contact the hotel. I've used my points to book the basic room and had an additional surcharge to select a higher caliber room.
Example - I could not get a reservation at Thalasso in Bora Bora, but I have 3 nights at Le Moana but we wanted to stay in an OWB. at the time rooms were 60k a night. So I paid 180k total for 3 nights, but that was a beach room. I did a 2-3 level upgrade, not just a regular OWB but the horizon bungalow and its another $300/night. Yes it stinks that Thalasso could be "free" for an OWB but its hard to get. So for me, paying 180,000 points and $900 is worth 3 nights in an OWB. The OWB themselves can go over $1,000 USD a night. so I still feel I got a fair deal. Maybe not a steal, but certainly fair. I did not want to wait on Thalasso and stress out and be stuck paying cash for everything, so this is like cash + points in my eyes.

I also did the same thing in Tahiti - I wanted to upgrade a free room and they were able to do it for a nominal nightly fee.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.