Community
Wiki Posts
Search

6 months housing in LA, how can i earn point?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8, 2017, 1:33 am
Original Poster

6 months housing in LA, how can i earn point?

Hello All,

I will be staying in LA area for 6 months soon for work. I'm wondering if anyone has a suggestion on how I can earn hotel points or AirB&B points? Since I will be out there for 6 months, that is a lot of possible points to be had.Sorry if I post in the wrong section. I mainly collect IHG points
Old Dec 8, 2017, 1:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
If you stay in IHG hotels for 6 months you can earn IHG points. Perhaps you might want to switch hotels every couple of weeks as there are probably going to be maximum stay limits on earning points.

If you want an apartment, you should be looking at ways to pay your rent using a credit card from an airline or hotel chain but that is ultimately a manufactured spend topic.
Old Dec 8, 2017, 2:05 am

Programs: IHG Diamond Elite, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by craigthemif
If you stay in IHG hotels for 6 months you can earn IHG points. Perhaps you might want to switch hotels every couple of weeks as there are probably going to be maximum stay limits on earning points.

If you want an apartment, you should be looking at ways to pay your rent using a credit card from an airline or hotel chain but that is ultimately a manufactured spend topic.
There is no maximum stay limits for IHG points.
Old Dec 8, 2017, 2:09 am

Originally Posted by lleung1980
Hello All,

I will be staying in LA area for 6 months soon for work. I'm wondering if anyone has a suggestion on how I can earn hotel points or AirB&B points? Since I will be out there for 6 months, that is a lot of possible points to be had.Sorry if I post in the wrong section. I mainly collect IHG points
Los Angeles is a big place and it has a lot of traffic. I know, I live here. Really, you need to decide on where you want to live and what type of accommodation first (such as do you require a kitchen). I gather your work is paying for it. Is their any kind of limit (on rate)?
Old Dec 8, 2017, 2:24 am

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
Just be aware, that if you stay for lenghty stays at hotels, or sign a contract with hotel (eg guarantee 180nights paid monthly for discounted rate) then normally nights are a)non-qualifying b)earn no points, You can negotiate with hotel that contract is with that nights are still points-earning/qualifying now you are aware default is they would be excluded. Being LA and you will no doubt rent a car, factor in the parking at hotel in your agreed hotel rate.... Hotel Parking (onsite/offsite) can be outrageously costly us$35++ night or more, so $5-6k for 6months (and parking costs do nort earn points)

For that period I'd be suprised if your employer did not simply rent (and pay direct themselves) unfurnished accomodation (lounge/kitchen/washin-utility room/bedroom/bathroom) and rent the contents needed, sofas/beds/wash-machine/cooker/microwave/kettle etc etc , which is quite the norm in USA for employees on lengthy stays.
(One of my employers did that for a 5week stay, rather than put me up in hotel, gated community flat, even included a Gym)

You really need accomodation with cooking/laundry facilities for such a lengthy stay. In Europe that would be IHG's Staybridge brand, not sure if hotel standard for Staybridge brand same applies in USA regards Kitchen, but I'd expect so. The Laundry would then be a communal room with multiple was-machines/driers. Certain brands within hotel chains tend to target lengthier stays.

nb Points earning at 2x IHG Brands is lower (ie 5points/usd not 10points)
o Staybridge Suites® and Candlewood Suites® hotel brands you will receive five (5) points for each USD dollar

Last edited by scubaccr; Dec 8, 2017 at 2:38 am
Old Dec 14, 2017, 9:46 am

Programs: UA 3.6MM, AF/KL Lifetime Plat, BA Gold, AA 1MM, IC Spire RA, Kimpton IC, Marriott Plat, et alia
I've done this in a number of cases -- sometimes easier to have a long-term hotel room than an apartment.
The IHG Ts and Cs don't appear to have any limitation on the length of a "stay" but I would check and get it in writing .. I know at one point, SPG had a limitation; a friend was advised to check out for a weekend when away and check back in (plus that saves the company money) and that got her to "ambassador" status with a personal concierge, etc.
Old Dec 15, 2017, 1:02 am

Originally Posted by vsevolod4
I've done this in a number of cases -- sometimes easier to have a long-term hotel room than an apartment.
The IHG Ts and Cs don't appear to have any limitation on the length of a "stay" but I would check and get it in writing .. I know at one point, SPG had a limitation; a friend was advised to check out for a weekend when away and check back in (plus that saves the company money) and that got her to "ambassador" status with a personal concierge, etc.
There is NO limit on the length of stay for IHG when it comes to earning points or status. IHG isn't Marriott.
Old Dec 15, 2017, 9:18 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
Even with the reduced point earning from those brands, I'd go with a Staybridge or (well-reviewed) Candlewood in a location close to work for that long in the name of more space and included
Old Dec 15, 2017, 10:00 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by CalItalian
There is NO limit on the length of stay for IHG when it comes to earning points or status. IHG isn't Marriott.
Don't you mean that IHG is just like Marriott in this case (given Marriott has no restrictions around length of stays for points accruals)? Though in total program comparisons, I would agree IHG isn't Marriott.

Starwood does have a restriction which I think is now 180 days (used to be much less.) The Marriott/Starwood merger won't be completed until after 2018, so I doubt there would be any change in length of stay requirements from either side until after the merger.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.