Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What to do when a general manager of a property does not help you?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 5, 2017, 3:42 am
Suspended

I can totally understands why she felt threatened in this situation.

1, On first day, the operations manager promise you to have an answer by the next day at 9AM. So the GM did not promise you by 9AM.

2, On second day, you talked to her on phone and she said she will get back to you by 12:30pm. And she told you she IS VERY BUSY. You guys really needs to show some respect to a busy lady. She might have a conference needs preparing, an accounting issue needs resolving, the city council might be in process in renewing license and she needs to deal with...Of course we should not defend her for being not prompt. But at 12:30pm you just could not wait and you have not given her a chance at all.

3, She suggested a solution but you did not accept it. Instead you wanted your own. It might be a reasonable proposal but it ultimately makes one to wonder whether your aggregation at the beginning has a purpose.

4, To find you alternative accommodation the hotel needs to establish an account if the hotel is going to pay. It takes time. Of course you should demand the best, but hey, courtesy goes both ways. If you are aggressive towards the hotel, it will only get aggressive treatment back. While you are waiting impatiently, have you not thought to get an adaptor first to continue your work? So you two have wasted two days of precious working time to chase the GM?

5, you said
we discovered wired internet was not working around 5 PM...but it is not ideal for us since wifi is less reliable and less stable than wired
. I am not sure if that would stand with any argument. If the hotel recently as you said
They told us that they just change the provider recently
, it is likely the wifi is just as good and just as stable as the wired. The problem is many older properties have not updated their cabling around the hotel. Even if their wired connection is working, the speed is likely have stayed around the time they were built. Upgrading the cable and wiring is expensive while the whole world is switching to wifi. So it is not uncommon in many places the wifi speed and reliability are much better than wired connection.

6, I am going to quote some of your words in your own post:
......But by now, the situation with the GM is just toxic......We are mad now and express our frustration to this employee and ask if there is anybody else who can help us ...... we demand to talk with her...... I told her, I will email her some options..... We are super frustrated.
. You need to remember you are dealing with a lady that you have never met. You need delicate skills to make sure she knows you are a good man. But so far I can only see a angry mad frustrated figure who is unloading all to a lady who is so busy with other things around the property.

My verdict after reading all your problems?
1, The manager is rightly think she has been threatened with irrational behaviours. There are demanding guests demand the correct things. But your constantly seeking her in front desk and constantly emailing her calling her are creating a very uncomfortably situation for her. After all she is a lady and I assume you are a gentleman.

2, You are demanding too much from her and adding stress by demanding the properties of your own choice. By doing so you have missed the perfect opportunity to amend the situation.

3, Why do you need to talk to her on the first day that
we asked her to talk in person so we can explain in person why the wired internet is so important for us
? A simple request that
We need wired internet connection please help us as soon as possible or we have to change hotels
could avoid all the troubles you have gone through.

4, I see a pattern of high pressure building by you guys. Without tackling the real issue: wired internet connection, you are instantly going on to 'pressure the GM to give you solutions'. No doubt you have used the tactics of accusing the hotel 'false advertisement' to achieve your goal. I am not sure if I would like to work with guys like you.

5, If you are travelling for work, you do have several solutions before you seek the GM. for example:
A, you could tell your company that you could not work here. Please switch hotels;
B, you could bought an adaptor on the first day online and you would have it delivered on the second day;
C, you could have asked the manager nicely to contact the internet provider to see if they have a network solution;
D, you could have asked the GM to provide a cable for your use only in the business centre or lobby where wired connection is available;
E, you could have just used the wifi which could be more reliable and higher speed.

6, Most importantly, managers are human too. Their reaction or lack of reaction is most likely caused by your attitude and pressure. At this moment, I think the aggressive party are from you. And the way of constructing this thread and the description somehow suggest we really need to hear the story from the GM side. Give others courtesy and consideration you will get that back. Give others aggressiveness and over demanding will get nothing in return.

Hopefully you could solve your problem and be nice to the GM. There are other more important thing you can be mad about.
Old Nov 5, 2017, 5:43 am

Programs: IHG
Originally Posted by kauppias
Without both sides it is harder to give accurate advise but it does seem like a very agressive way to reach out on this issue in the first place.

But hopefully a solution can be found that satisfies both parties, personally I have found IHG to be good with promos/cheap stays and easy status BUT the worst in service recovery (right up there with british airways) and customer service.

Yet still I stay at their properties
But it really depends on the hotel at the end of the day.

Generally I find hotels fit into three groups in IHG
a) The ones who tightly stick to the brand standards and best practices but will also be a little flexible and do a little more if it would assist the guest and build on the brand standards and pay attention to every last detail.

b) The ones who stick strictly to the brand standards with no flex whatsoever and do the required and nothing more but give a good solid experience but nothing that is going to win awards for being outstanding.

c) Ones who see themselves as an independent hotel first and part of IHG second and will deviate from brand standards and not see the value of Rewards Club and look at things from own perspective rather than the brand.

The last group is more common when the hotel is part of another establishment or the GM is shared with another hotel that could be from a different group or with previously independent hotels which have become part of IHG.

There are some requests I would ask for in one hotel that would be met with "of course, that's no problem at all." that in some hotels have been met with "We don't list that, so why ask for it?"
Old Nov 5, 2017, 6:22 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
OP - What is the property and where is it located? This is a large community and there may be others with prior experiences which could assist. Otherwise, all you will get are generalities.

Some basic questions:
1. Why can't you use Wifi?
2. Why can't you purchase a cheap wifi-to-ethernet router (and then perhaps fight later about whether you ought to be reimbursed)?

Why does the alternate property have to be IHG? If this is a work-related issue and you absolutely must have wired internet access, is the other IHG the only property with that capability?
Old Nov 5, 2017, 2:25 pm

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
OP, It would help us FTers understand, if you could in 1-2 simple sentences outline why cabled ethernet rather trhan wifi is apparently so critical to you??

With limited info (and angry rant at staff text) provided, my (and probably other FTers) initial thought is you are looking to find any excuse to relocate to another hotel having first manufactured a non-sensible reason.

As a senior I.T. professional, I fail to come up with any "technical' reason for why wifi versus ethernet cable connectivity is a deal breaker. For $30 a simple router/rebroadcaster will connect to wifi network and typically have 4x cable ports for any "old" eqipment that lacks wifi capability.

I do have corporate constraints such as not using "public wifi" eg airport, starvbucks etc, but not hotel 'private' wifi so that does not aply and in any case that is why one connects first/only to a corporate VPN IP using a dedicated corporate VPN App.

An hotels private (non-public) network, whether wifi/ethernet has exactly the same constraintse, excepting just area that wifi signal strength varies unlike cabled, but is easily overcome.

1. Same logon requirement by your equipment , and same discconect/logout issues
2. Same limited speed/bandwidth whether wifi or cabled. I do not think for one instant you'll get faster speed on cabled than wifi connection.
3. If wifi only hotel network, easily cabled by using own router/rebroadcaster which also removes need for your equpment using your router to logon repeatedly, as te router/rebroadcaster instead does logon
4. If cable only hotel internet, many travelers these days instead prefer to create wifi by plugging in a wifi router

Currently my vote is against you the OP, being overly passively-aggressive in comms with hotel, as you don't for me have a valid need to be moved.

If you want to be moved then you need have your company rebook you elsewhere, not the GM. Your note about points (award night) is irrelevant, it is paid rate you paid for your rooms versus alternate hotel that is valid.
(It may also be if hotel owner also owns the other one-two hotel(s) offered, and is the only reason GM could offer you the relocation you have refused.)

I don't see from your post that GM would not be willing to cancel your remaining nights of your 30night stay.
Old Nov 5, 2017, 4:31 pm

Programs: Der 5* FTL
Originally Posted by chongcao
I can totally understands why she felt threatened in this situation.
Sorry, I don't see this at all. I'm personally firmly on OPs side.

1, On first day, the operations manager promise you to have an answer by the next day at 9AM. So the GM did not promise you by 9AM.
A hotel representative promised something. Are you suggesting that anything a company representative promises is null and void if the company representative who has to fulfill it did not promise it?

2, On second day, you talked to her on phone and she said she will get back to you by 12:30pm. And she told you she IS VERY BUSY. You guys really needs to show some respect to a busy lady. She might have a conference needs preparing, an accounting issue needs resolving, the city council might be in process in renewing license and she needs to deal with...Of course we should not defend her for being not prompt. But at 12:30pm you just could not wait and you have not given her a chance at all.
If she is that busy, she shouldn't make promises to her customers.

Note 1. The staff said she was on lunch. I understand that this might have been the only free slot to have lunch in her schedule, but still, having lunch does not qualify as being busy when you already accepted a meeting at that time.
Note 2. OP has sad she had contacted them being angry that they had tried to locate her via front desk. This (if true, and I have no reason to assume it is not) is unacceptable period.

3, She suggested a solution but you did not accept it. Instead you wanted your own. It might be a reasonable proposal but it ultimately makes one to wonder whether your aggregation at the beginning has a purpose.
I was once offered a "solution" that amounted to getting 11 days of package holiday instead of 14. I was told I should be glad I don't have to pay the difference, since the 11 day package was now more expensive than the original 14 day package. (not advance purchase anymore).

That's not a solution. That's an insult. If you were to suggest that denying this is grounds to "making one wonder", I'd take that personally.

On a fair number of my trips, a property 3 hours away could mean I'd end up being closer to home than to my actual destination; I'd not be amused.

4, To find you alternative accommodation the hotel needs to establish an account if the hotel is going to pay. It takes time. Of course you should demand the best, but hey, courtesy goes both ways. If you are aggressive towards the hotel, it will only get aggressive treatment back. While you are waiting impatiently, have you not thought to get an adaptor first to continue your work? So you two have wasted two days of precious working time to chase the GM?
Who said they didn't get an adapter or other means to continue their work, at least to the level that lacking physical cables allows?
Plus I don't see how asking for something that was promised and wanted to meet managers at the time they suggested is aggressive.

5, you said . I am not sure if that would stand with any argument. If the hotel recently as you said , it is likely the wifi is just as good and just as stable as the wired. The problem is many older properties have not updated their cabling around the hotel. Even if their wired connection is working, the speed is likely have stayed around the time they were built. Upgrading the cable and wiring is expensive while the whole world is switching to wifi. So it is not uncommon in many places the wifi speed and reliability are much better than wired connection.
I've seen more than my fair share of wifis that were crazy unreliable. Even in brand new installations. Even in places that should never have seen that.
Besides nobody cares to know why cable connection was important, at best assuming it's just a question of non-wifi-enabled devices that can be solved by a cheap wifi-to-cable device, at worst, ignoring it completely.
I know most people use wifi these days. Even desktop computers are now sold not with a cable connection, but a wifi card. Still for all we know, the OP has a legitimate need for a cabled connection to attain full productivity. I am leaning towards believing them.

6, I am going to quote some of your words in your own post:
. You need to remember you are dealing with a lady that you have never met. You need delicate skills to make sure she knows you are a good man. But so far I can only see a angry mad frustrated figure who is unloading all to a lady who is so busy with other things around the property.
From my PoV: that's her god damn job. I have sympathy towards service workers, but maybe. Just maybe. If you don't want to deal with angry strangers... you shouldn't become a hotel manager.
I mean, should I have taken a job with up to 50% offsite component, if I hated travelling?
Maybe I needed that precise job. Fair enough
But would I be right to ..... and moan about having to travel, if I chose that job? No.

My verdict after reading all your problems?
1, The manager is rightly think she has been threatened with irrational behaviours. There are demanding guests demand the correct things. But your constantly seeking her in front desk and constantly emailing her calling her are creating a very uncomfortably situation for her. After all she is a lady and I assume you are a gentleman.
a) sexist much?
b) literally her job

2, You are demanding too much from her and adding stress by demanding the properties of your own choice. By doing so you have missed the perfect opportunity to amend the situation.
Demanding properties that offer the very same feature that was the reason to choose this property originally?
I don't see how that is too much.
Missing the perfect opportunity to amend the situation?
Where was that? Just accept the first bullcrap offer made, that she later even denied ever making?

3, Why do you need to talk to her on the first day that ? A simple request that could avoid all the troubles you have gone through.
If you uncovered an essential issue, why wouldn't you try to fix it on the first day?
If there was no power in your room, should you wait until 2nd day? 3rd? 4th?

4, I see a pattern of high pressure building by you guys. Without tackling the real issue: wired internet connection, you are instantly going on to 'pressure the GM to give you solutions'. No doubt you have used the tactics of accusing the hotel 'false advertisement' to achieve your goal. I am not sure if I would like to work with guys like you.
The real issue at is sits:

1. There was supposed to be wired connection.
2. There is none.
3. Despite what their sellers will tell you, a wifi bridge solution, is simply not equivalent, never mind whatever WDS settings are used, or a repeater device or whatever.
4. ???
5. The real issue has one solution: getting them somewhere that has the wired connectivity.

5, If you are travelling for work, you do have several solutions before you seek the GM. for example:
A, you could tell your company that you could not work here. Please switch hotels;
B, you could bought an adaptor on the first day online and you would have it delivered on the second day;
C, you could have asked the manager nicely to contact the internet provider to see if they have a network solution;
D, you could have asked the GM to provide a cable for your use only in the business centre or lobby where wired connection is available;
E, you could have just used the wifi which could be more reliable and higher speed.

A: That's only an option if there is a company, and if that company is happy to take up the bill. Either of these not present and this is not a solution.
B: That is only a solution if it is a satisfactory solution. I can see many reasons when this would not hold true.
C: That presumes that the situation is just a question of "Did we forget to turn on the cable infra when bringing that hotel online?". I would expect that if a hotel manager tells you that cable infrastructure has been deactivated due to provider change, then it's true (and had it's reasons). Honestly, what do you think the provider would do? Just activate the cable network, free of charge? Or would the hotel just decide to pay hundreds of dollars more, so that cable outlets work again?
D: You don't know whether there is a wired connection available in business centre or lobby. You don't know whether OP is able to work in the business centre (I for one have been very heavily discouraged from doing that). And I don't know about OP, but I would never, ever, ever try and work in any area as busy as is an hotel lobby.

6, Most importantly, managers are human too. Their reaction or lack of reaction is most likely caused by your attitude and pressure. At this moment, I think the aggressive party are from you. And the way of constructing this thread and the description somehow suggest we really need to hear the story from the GM side. Give others courtesy and consideration you will get that back. Give others aggressiveness and over demanding will get nothing in return.

Hopefully you could solve your problem and be nice to the GM. There are other more important thing you can be mad about.
I don't think reasonable requests to maintain schedule (how this all started) is anything of an attitude and pressure that should cause any problems. Unless OP is keeping us from something important, his demands vere completely reasonable and he was being met with non-cooperation and plain rudeness.
I don't know the story of the GM, but I am vary enough - more than a few GMs out there who need a reminder of why is hospitality industry called hospitality industry.
oiris11 likes this.
Old Nov 5, 2017, 4:58 pm
Original Poster

I was not going to respond to some of the last comments because it is kind of draining, but hell, I started the thread and what I wrote may be useful for somebody in the future.

For me this is simple, I paid for some services, I expect those services to be provided.

If a hotel advertises pillows in the room, I expect pillows to be there. If I arrive and my room has no pillows, I call and ask for them, I don't need to justify why pillows are so important to me, I don't need to justify why my life would be harder without pillows. I ask for them and since I'm spending thousands of dollars, I expect to be taken seriously.
If I call, and they don't answer, I call again, if they keep ignoring me, I will insist.

If they tell me the hotel is now a no-pillow zone and I'm out of luck, because they just changed, I don't find that answer satisfactory. I keep asking for pillows and expect the hotel to provide them. If as a solution they offer me a rock to sleep on, I decline that option because I like pillows. If they insist I really don't need a pillow because it is possible to sleep without pillows, I just disagree.

Probably I was not clear at the beginning of this thread, I didn't ask for help about how to solve the wired problem, I asked for help about how to contact IHG because I felt nobody at the property is listening.

We are a small family business, we don't work for any company. I'll have to spend all the money the relocation will cost.
We did what we could with the knowledge we had to improve the technical issues and continue working on our projects. This is not the first experience we have with the wired/wireless and based on our previous experiences we decided we need the wired internet long time ago. Maybe we are wrong about the technical issues but we act based on the previous experience we have.

I don't have to be an IT Professional and solve everything by myself, before having the right to complain. The hotel has the right to refuse my requirements and I have the right to complain.
If the GM is very busy and can't help me, I have the right to keep looking for help (while at the same time doing things to improve my situation). And for sure, I don't think the GM has the right to threaten me and my family without good cause.

I'm probably guilty of not knowing enough, I just act based on our previous experiences. But the hotel has not provided any technical help at all either.

I'm probably guilty of not having a nice personality to deal with terrible customer service. I understand nice guys get more things done. I'm just not like that. But I'm always respectful, I may show frustration with my face but I'm never rude.

Anyway, the GM has offered some compensation. It's not what I wanted, but at this point, I just want to leave this hotel.

To all of you who tried to help, I really appreciated it.
Old Nov 6, 2017, 9:44 am
Original Poster

Even leaving the property is a pain in the ....

We plan to leave today. Since we were not planning to change hotels and we have work to do, we asked for late checkout at 2 PM. Checkout time here is at 12PM.

GM answered we could have late checkout only in one of the rooms, since they are sold out today.

The thing is:

- They are not sold out today, it is pretty easy to check IHG website to see they have at least 3 rooms.

- Even if they were, they can't possibly need our rooms, since we have reservations on them for today, in fact, all the way to December. So our rooms can not be sold until we completed the check out process which has not happened yet, since we are still here.

- I'm a Spire Elite Member, late checkout is one of the perks if rooms are available (which they are), I have had checkout at 2PM plenty of times in the past.

So, she is going to charge us an extra day for one of the rooms for checking out at 2PM.

GM doubling down on the terrible customer service, all the way to the end.
Old Nov 6, 2017, 9:55 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The checkout time is published and unless you have a late checkout granted, the property is well within the bounds if it charges you for the extra day (or whatever it charges for an overstay of 2 hours).

It may be lousy service, but sounds as though the property wants you gone. Sooner rather than later. You may well be better off doing so too.
Old Nov 7, 2017, 8:02 am

Programs: IHG Spire Ambassador, Club Carlson Gold, HHonors Gold, Best Western Diamond Select, BA Blue
@OP, could you have checked out of one room and worked in the other room until 2pm? Win-win for everyone that way.

The hotel may have allocated one of your rooms to an early check-in guest.
Old Nov 8, 2017, 3:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
Originally Posted by Often1
Some basic questions:
1. Why can't you use Wifi?
2. Why can't you purchase a cheap wifi-to-ethernet router (and then perhaps fight later about whether you ought to be reimbursed)?
I believe it does not matter WHY the OP can't use Wifi. I have certain mandates I am not allowed to use any wireless devices, so I have full understanding for the OP's situation. The hotel advertised wired internet and did not deliver. This is the story in a nutshell. Sad.
oiris11 likes this.
Old Nov 8, 2017, 8:10 pm

At times like these I often ask myself... What would Brian Boitano do? I mean... what would I have done? As a former AGM in what was the largest Holiday Inn in the world at the time, I usually handled all but the very biggest of problems (by very biggest, I mean ones that usually involve government agencies) so I do have a little experience handling all manner of complaints.

I won't address everything that's been said here because... it's a lot and people have their own opinions. I'll just refer to a smattering of random stuff off the top of my head.

First of all... Hotel management is used to getting yelled at. Seriously. It doesn't make it RIGHT, but no manager and especially no GM should refuse to speak to a customer or refuse to provide customer service because they're being yelled at. They COULD... call security to stand by during the conversation, make requests to maintain a professional demeanor during the conversation, etc. But angry guests and dealing with angry guests is a part of the job. My job was usually to deal with the ANGRIEST of guests, so I know. (just for reference in case someone suggests that it's different for me to deal with angry guests because I'm a gentleman... My GM was a lady, and she was MUCH MUCH tougher than I was.) Now... will the entire situation be more pleasant if everyone is civil? Of course. Might I try to put in just a little more discretionary effort if you're nice? Possibly. But if it's clearly the hotel's mistake, even if it was unintentional, I will make sure to make it right in any way possible. This is clearly an issue of unintentional false advertising. That's not to say I give in to their every demand, but I WILL always bend over backwards to try and fix it, even if it means calling in a favor to the neigboring hotel's GM.

Wifi vs wired... There are tons of reasons why one is better than the other, so you can't assume that the OPs needs are not real despite your own opinions on whether there is a difference. Flying Lawyer provides an excellent example of a person with different needs. I'm willing to bet there aren't many hotels in the world that use a true "in-room" wireless system. It's simply cheaper to use one wireless router for a large swath of area and I have personally stayed in MANY hotel rooms where wifi signal in the room was terrible. I've had at least a dozen hotels where the only place to get wifi in the room was by standing next to the door and I have had this experience in several different countries/cities.

On the late checkout... I would have just given it. Clearly a guest who has had issues. Why exacerbate it further?

The alternative she suggested... if it really is a hotel 3 hours away... really is unacceptable. Of course... more details would have bolstered confidence in the OPs claims. Things such as the current hotel and the hotel that the GM suggested.

Having been the target of these angry rants at least a thousand times (quite literally) in my career in Hospitality management, I truly appreciate the sentiments of Chongcao and scubaccr. A nice, friendly attempt to resolve an issue is always sincerely appreciated and yes... I'd probably throw in a few little extras. Was OP angry? Of course. Was he rude? Based on his posts it's quite probable no matter what he will claim. Was he right? If what he says about not being able to provide an advertised service... then he absolutely was right and it was the GM's DUTY to fix it.

Guest Relations, Guest Relations, Guest Relations. I always hated to refer anyone to them when I was there, but they will provide impartial mediation based on the facts. I highly recommend providing ALL of the facts, names and places (such as which hotel the wanted to refer you to) in particular. Admit to any mistakes you may have made during the conversation to ensure they have the truly complete story. The hotel will definitely bring those mistakes up, so don't attempt to hide or sugar coat them. Admit and explain the reasons for them instead. That's what Brian Boita... er... I would do...

And frankly speaking... GMs HATE HATE HATE it when people call Guest Relations. The points that they give you are charged to the hotel AND incur an additional penalty if the resolution is in favor of the guest. That's really your best leverage while still in the hotel and during negotiations. What is important is whether the property offered you something equivalent in value to what you did not receive. Any offer they gave you still stands (if the property admits to it), but they must tell GR SOMETHING about what they did offer and they would need to stand by that offer at the minimum.

Lastly.... for future reference... any requests that you make on FT for assistance should include as many details, including property names, as possible. Who are you protecting? If the hotel staff is reading FT, they've already figured out who you are. If they're not, no one here could figure out who you are by the property information unless they by chance were standing in the lobby while you were complaining and overheard. There are dozens of reasons why the name of the property is important. The people here are well traveled and some may be able to make better recommendations based on their knowledge of the property or of the area.

Last edited by baroqen; Nov 8, 2017 at 8:27 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.