Community
Wiki Posts
Search

HI res suddenly "modified" to better room and higher price?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16, 2017, 4:20 pm
Original Poster

HI res suddenly "modified" to better room and higher price?

I was gardening my future reservations this weekend and noticed that an upcoming HI reservation here in the US for four nights in December showed "Status: Modified."

I clicked the reservation and saw that the "Room Type" has been changed to the next higher "class" (with whirlpool vs. the original reservation sans whirlpool). I also noticed that the "Estimated Total Price" jumped with 15%, which is still significantly lower than the price quoted for the same dates, room and rate if booked today.

I didn't make (nor authorize) this modification, so I assume either the hotel or IHG did. I also checked my browser history and everything in my email account to be sure I didn't upgrade my room while sleepwalking or anything, but the only related message I can find is the original confirmation for the lower-class room and the lower price.

Edit: the original reservation was made about a month ago directly by me on ihg.com using my IHG Rewards Club profile, not through a (O)TA.

The confirmation numbers on both the email and the modified reservation are still the same. I'm more of an SPG guy, and while I do have accumulated numerous stays with IHG in the past, I currently don't hold any elite status with them.

I'm not too worried at this point since 1) there's still plenty of time left 2) I have the original confirmation at the lower price 3) rate has no penalty for cancellation - although the price for the lower-class room has increased since my original reservation 4) the rate increase won't break the bank.

But I'm also not that familiar anymore with how IHG is working. Is this how IHG does "complimentary upgrades" and will I still be quoted the original price? Or does this warrant a call to the hotel to prevent a discussion at the front desk about the price if I decide not to cancel and rebook?

Last edited by mozilla; Oct 16, 2017 at 5:41 pm Reason: added detail
Old Oct 16, 2017, 4:35 pm

Programs: IHG Spire RA
Lightbulb

Check the number of guests after they modified your booking, the system sometimes increase the number of guests to 3 adults (usually when getting upgrade), therefore the rate would increase reflecting the additional guest. However you still would be charged the original amount you booked.

In other words, it’s how IHG system works sometimes!
Old Oct 16, 2017, 4:42 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Voucher
Check the number of guests after they modified your booking, the system sometimes increase the number of guests to 3 adults, therefore the rate would increase reflecting the additional guest. However you still would be charged the original amount you booked.

In other words, it’s how IHG system works sometimes!
The number of guests is still the same and correct - that didn't change. They only changed the Room Type and the price (per day and total). Everything else (including dates and rate) stayed the same.

Did some more research in meanwhile and noticed that the whirlpool room is always priced at ~15% more than the non-whirlpool room. Seems they modified my rate using the "historical price" in effect on the date of my reservation? Prices have consistently been higher at this property in the weeks following my reservation.
Old Oct 16, 2017, 4:56 pm

Programs: IHG Spire RA
Arrow

Originally Posted by mozilla
The number of guests is still the same and correct - that didn't change. They only changed the Room Type and the price (per day and total). Everything else (including dates and rate) stayed the same.

Did some more research in meanwhile and noticed that the whirlpool room is always priced at ~15% more than the non-whirlpool room. Seems they modified my rate using the "historical price" in effect on the date of my reservation? Prices have consistently been higher at this property in the weeks following my reservation.
Enjoy the Whirlpool then

I pretty sure that you still entitle to pay what you booked originally regardless of any complimentary upgrades.
Old Oct 16, 2017, 5:08 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Voucher
Enjoy the Whirlpool then

I pretty sure that you still entitle to pay what you booked originally regardless of any complimentary upgrades.
I'm also inclined to leave everything as it is, and just show up with a printout of the original confirmation, see what happens and prepared to negotiate if necessary. Curiosity always gets the better of me and even the worst case scenario won't break the bank at all. I will report back in two months.

Just wanted to check here if anyone knows what IHG is up to or if anyone had this happen to them before.
Old Dec 27, 2017, 2:02 am
Original Poster

I will report back in two months.
Original rate was honored without having to ask. I checked in on weekend night and the front desk had no idea what "modification" I was talking about, although the modification was still being shown on ihg.com on the day of check-in. Didn't have time to follow-up the next weekday.

It was a new style HI and the whirlpool room was actually pretty big and nice!
Old Dec 27, 2017, 3:49 pm

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
I was gardening my future reservations this weekend and noticed that an upcoming HI reservation here in the US for four nights in December showed "Status: Modified."

I clicked the reservation and saw that the "Room Type" has been changed to the next higher "class" (with whirlpool vs. the original reservation sans whirlpool). I also noticed that the "Estimated Total Price" jumped with 15%, which is still significantly lower than the price quoted for the same dates, room and rate if booked today.

I didn't make (nor authorize) this modification, so I assume either the hotel or IHG did. I also checked my browser history and everything in my email account to be sure I didn't upgrade my room while sleepwalking or anything, but the only related message I can find is the original confirmation for the lower-class room and the lower price.

Edit: the original reservation was made about a month ago directly by me on ihg.com using my IHG Rewards Club profile, not through a (O)TA.

The confirmation numbers on both the email and the modified reservation are still the same. I'm more of an SPG guy, and while I do have accumulated numerous stays with IHG in the past, I currently don't hold any elite status with them.

I'm not too worried at this point since 1) there's still plenty of time left 2) I have the original confirmation at the lower price 3) rate has no penalty for cancellation - although the price for the lower-class room has increased since my original reservation 4) the rate increase won't break the bank.

But I'm also not that familiar anymore with how IHG is working. Is this how IHG does "complimentary upgrades" and will I still be quoted the original price? Or does this warrant a call to the hotel to prevent a discussion at the front desk about the price if I decide not to cancel and rebook?
Some hotels when modding a res with earlyy pre-arrival upgrade have bad internal I.T. that ends up reflecting new rooms rate back to your reservation, it is 99% of the time nothing to worry about and one is charged the correct original booked rate at checkin

I always check that I know my originally booked rate before hotel checkin at any hotel (any brand) and check hotel rate papers i sign for agree with my booked rate.

Not something to complain to hotel about, as hotel would simply avoid issue by stopping the giving out of early prearrival upgrades.
Old Dec 27, 2017, 4:51 pm

Programs: UA 3.6MM, AF/KL Lifetime Plat, BA Gold, AA 1MM, IC Spire RA, Kimpton IC, Marriott Plat, et alia
Always keep a copy of your original reservation. Occasionally the "pre-upgrade" you get as Spire, Ambassador or Royal Ambassador accidentally changes the rates.

The downside is yes, this is annoying. But I wouldn't make a stink of it ... you don't want the hotel to stop pre-upgrading people.
There is also a potential silver lining with the changed/higher rate, occasionally they may re-upgrade you from the upgraded room. So if you booked a Deluxe and were pre-upgraded to a Junior Suite, and they changed the rate, then you may be upgraded again to a Suite. As Napoleon allegedly said, never interrupt an enemy if they are making a mistake. Once you've been twice upgraded (wait for them to assign your room) point out the rate error. They will of course have to honor the original rates, and they may be reluctant to downgrade you once they've already cut your keys and put your welcome amenity in your suite.

And often, particularly when you put the name of your second guest in the system, they change from 2 people to 3 people and you will be charged for the 3rd person unless you catch that.

So always pays to check your registration daily rate and the bill upon checkout.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.