Search

200K IHG-Rewards Points lost

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10, 2017, 11:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: Miles & More, FlyingBlue, IHG Rewards, Mariott, Hilton Honors
200K IHG-Rewards Points lost

Hello!
I have been a member of the IHG Rewards program since more than 10 years. Recently almost 200,000 points worth approx. 1,500 EUR disappeared from my account. According to the account statement I had stayed 4 nights at two locations and had spent all the points for paying the hotel bills.
I had not been at these locations and did not make any reservations.

I called the IHG Rewards call center and complained about the issue. I was told, that I would be informed within a few days, but nothing happened.

Meanwhile I called ones more without any effect and sent various emails, which have been ignored.

In the meantime I have decided to avoid IHG hotels and joined Hilton Honors instead. But of course I am not happy about loosing 200,000 points equal to 1,500 EUR. Did anybody make similar experiences? Any suggestions, how to get back the points or their value?

Thank you in advance for any suggestions.
Axel
Old Oct 11, 2017, 1:13 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
@Manxnorton, welcome to Flyertalk.

Sounds like a painful ordeal thus far.

Please follow the redirect as we relocate your query to IHG's forum.

~beckoa, co-moderator Information Desk
Old Oct 11, 2017, 1:18 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

It looks like you were victim of fraud. The 4 digit pin of IHG is not the most secure. Please check out this thread:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/inte...-spent-10.html

Hope the advice there will help you get your points back.
Old Oct 11, 2017, 1:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
That's why you need AwardWallet ....
Old Oct 11, 2017, 2:25 am

Programs: IHG Diamond Elite, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by solewalker
It looks like you were victim of fraud. The 4 digit pin of IHG is not the most secure. Please check out this thread:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/inte...-spent-10.html

Hope the advice there will help you get your points back.
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/inte...ts-stolen.html
And this thread, too, since I recently had 278,000 points stolen. I posted my experience with IHG which was mostly positive.

The problem with the 4 digit code is they also send your account number with it. It's the most asinine thing any company can do.
Old Dec 1, 2017, 10:41 am

Programs: United Mileage Plus
Just lost about 150,000 points at IHG

My Aspire IHG account got hacked. I called IHG, and the first help desk in Philippines, was not going to do anything. So, asked for the supervisor, who only offered to transfer 600 points to my "NEW" account. Asked for her manager, who after a little bit of raised voices, said they will create a new account, and will restore points transferred. The points were used to buy Amazon and iTune cards. I think this happens very frequently at IHG, because of the canned responses I got. If you want your points back, call, and ask to speak to the supervisors manager. The lower level will not be able to help you. They told me to expect an email. I am not holding my breath. I did receive an email saying my profile was changed yesterday, and I should have called them right away. My mistake. So, if you get an email from IHG saying your profile has been changed, call them right away. I am a techie, and I can pretty much say this with certainty. IHG does not have a very secure system in place. And so do not leave your credit card information on their system. I did cancel my IHG credit card too.
Old Dec 2, 2017, 5:10 am

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by Raffles
That's why you need AwardWallet ....
I hear you Rob, I use it too. It certainly helps to get alerted within a 24hrs period especially for folks who rarely check their accounts however; it won't prevent the actual hack from happening.

With IHG, all I hope is that they will eventually introduce better security features, for one, longer pin or a proper password, 2FA or the need to confirm an email address change through some secondary validation etc. Don't think the new Amadeus system will change anything in this regard, but it would be about damn time.n

@Moderators - maybe we can merge the two account hack related threads. Thanks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.