Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > InterContinental Hotels | IHG One Rewards and Intercontinental Ambassador
Reload this Page >

Big Problem. My HIX-Honolulu Waikiki reservation. It's under construction!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Big Problem. My HIX-Honolulu Waikiki reservation. It's under construction!

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2017, 6:04 pm

Programs: MR LT Titanium, IHG Plat.,UA Premier Silver, & PA/OH Turnpike Million Miler
Originally Posted by Friendly Traveling Deathmerchant
I'm usually a Hilton pointslut, but just booked this hotel for tomorrow the 23rd. And NOW I come looking at Flyertalk for reviews.

Is there something huge going on in HNL right now? All the Hiltons were booked up for point stays and no availability for almost all but one Embassy Suites at a pretty high price.

After making a reservation, I noticed the non-standard feel and called the front desk. The description on Holiday Inn's site says "We're gonna have a free breakfast buffet and some amenities... sometime soon." I asked the front desk person if the breakfast was in play yet, and she said no. I asked if they were doing anything for guests in this interim time, and she sounded like "No... why would anyone care about that?" (When the Hilton Garden Inn restaurant was under construction, they sent guests vouchers for Duke's breakfast buffet).

Hmm.

Well.

I have until 4pm tomorrow to cancel, so I'll keep eyes open if there's any Hilton cancellations that pop up.

The parking IS ten bucks cheaper than most of the other Waikiki properties in the area at least. I saw a review on TA that said it was a small garage that you had to hunt for parking though.

Double Hmmmmm.

Anyway, if I do wind up there, I'll be sure to follow up with humorous tales of woe or otherwise.

TDM

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. After reading this thread, I am not sure why anyone would want to risk staying there until the renovation is completed.

--Jon
Old Jan 22, 2017, 6:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Since I had just been in Waikiki, I was curious where that hotel was located. I must have walked by a couple times. Doing a test booking on IHG.com, it's available mid-Feb for $99/night (king deluxe). The site mentions breakfast included with every stay.
Old Jan 22, 2017, 7:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA, DAL, blah, blah, blah...The usual.
Originally Posted by Friendly Traveling Deathmerchant
I'm usually a Hilton pointslut, but just booked this hotel for tomorrow the 23rd. And NOW I come looking at Flyertalk for reviews.

Is there something huge going on in HNL right now? All the Hiltons were booked up for point stays and no availability for almost all but one Embassy Suites at a pretty high price.

After making a reservation, I noticed the non-standard feel and called the front desk. The description on Holiday Inn's site says "We're gonna have a free breakfast buffet and some amenities... sometime soon." I asked the front desk person if the breakfast was in play yet, and she said no. I asked if they were doing anything for guests in this interim time, and she sounded like "No... why would anyone care about that?" (When the Hilton Garden Inn restaurant was under construction, they sent guests vouchers for Duke's breakfast buffet).

Hmm.

Well.

I have until 4pm tomorrow to cancel, so I'll keep eyes open if there's any Hilton cancellations that pop up.

The parking IS ten bucks cheaper than most of the other Waikiki properties in the area at least. I saw a review on TA that said it was a small garage that you had to hunt for parking though.

Double Hmmmmm.

Anyway, if I do wind up there, I'll be sure to follow up with humorous tales of woe or otherwise.

TDM
It's a very large medical conference at the Hilton Village all week. It's the reason my wife was coming and the reason all the Hiltons are quite full.

The parking garage is mostly occupied by construction vehicles. The hotel has very limited available parking and guests do not get reserved parking.
On the bright side, there is a liquor store right across the street.
Old Jan 22, 2017, 9:23 pm

Programs: Skywards Platinum
Originally Posted by Jon Maiman
Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. After reading this thread, I am not sure why anyone would want to risk staying there until the renovation is completed.

--Jon
Well, he is going in with full knowledge of what to expect, so he probably won't be nearly as disappointed as the OP.

I would be interested to hear his take on the hotel now that expectations have been set.
Old Jan 22, 2017, 11:35 pm

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
No, "Independents" (non IHG Brands) do exist under IHG.COM umbrella for booking

Most recently I noticed search for Manila, Philippines returned an Independent Hotel.

"Welcome to Independent (SPHC) Remington Hotel "
Old Jan 23, 2017, 6:01 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: HHonors, United, Delta
Originally Posted by whimike
Well, he is going in with full knowledge of what to expect, so he probably won't be nearly as disappointed as the OP.

I would be interested to hear his take on the hotel now that expectations have been set.

Right. It was $89 bucks, parking was a little cheaper than other properties, I'm literally there for a 24 hours, and I'm not on some weeklong family vacation. I'd normally stay at the Doubletree or HGI for $177 which includes breakfast.

Figured I'd take one for the team and report.

TDM

PS; Thanks air motive for the intel on why it's crowded this week!
Old Jan 23, 2017, 6:42 am

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, ALL Silver,, Miles&More
At least some of the pictures are not real.

https://www.ihg.com/spnd/hotels/us/e...p.nd.ct&qWch=0

Honolulu-Waikiki

Aloha! E komo mai (Welcome)!

Maile Sky Court is located at the gateway of Waikiki. This 44-story hotel with panoramic views of the Pacific Ocean, Koolau mountains and Waikiki skyline is just 3 blocks from Waikiki beach and 4 blocks from the Hawaii Convention Center. Conveniently located near shopping, dining, and activities. Our all new guest rooms feature complimentary internet access, a compact refrigerator, Keurig coffee maker and microwave.

Coming soon we will feature a host of exciting amenities and services including complimentary breakfast buffet and a 5th floor skydeck offering a 9-hole mini-golf course, shuffleboard, giant chess game, ping pong and pool tables, foosball, full exercise room, yoga classes and an interactive family game room.

2058 Kuhio Avenue : Honolulu , Hawaii ,96815, United States : +1-808-9472828
Old Jan 23, 2017, 10:48 pm

Programs: LT Marriott Gold, Velocity Gold, Accor Gold
I checked into this property on the 21st and have no experienced the drama that OP obviously has. They were upfront at check in, no pool, no breakfast, no $20 resort fee would be charged. Yes rooms are small, but mine has been renovated and is to a satisfactory standard. a/c u it is older so can be noisy but I prefer the window open. Room is spotlessly clean as is bathroom. Sometimes you get what you pay for. Many hotels are booked out in HnL this week so all in I'm satisfied that I was able to get a property at a reasonable cost. As for sticking your hand in to press the elevator button, abso,uteky no drama or fear that anything is going to go wrong. There is Holiday Inn Express signage on the outer side of the building on the side street. I've had zero disruption from the construction noise. Staff are all friendly and helpful. I wouldn't be too worried if you have a reservation here because it's not that bad. Maybe it's not the Royal Hawaiian but it's certainly not Royal Hawaiian prices. Also my reservation from IHG stated that it was known as the Maile Sky and my taxi driver knew where it was and that it had been rebranded.
Old Jan 23, 2017, 10:51 pm

Btw the image of what the room looks like is identical to what is in my room, down to colour and style of the chair and the a/c Unit.
Old Jan 24, 2017, 12:23 am

Programs: Skywards Platinum
Originally Posted by Toula
As for sticking your hand in to press the elevator button, abso,uteky no drama or fear that anything is going to go wrong.
No sawdust on your arm/hand from sticking your arm into the hole? What about having to search for the button?
Old Jan 24, 2017, 12:57 am

Originally Posted by whimike
No sawdust on your arm/hand from sticking your arm into the hole? What about having to search for the button?
no issues at all, found the button straight off which seems amazing as I'd just come off an overnight international flight and was sleep deprived. No a drop of sawdust has managed to land on my delicate wrist, no sense of danger felt.
Old Jan 24, 2017, 9:33 am
htb

Programs: UA*G(1K), PC Diamond Amb, Marriott Titanium, Accor Platinum
Just to recap the general tone:

Reserved: a room in a newly renovated hotel with breakfast and pool.

Received: a room in a construction site without breakfast nor pool.

Reaction: No reason to complain, you get what you pay for.

Am I the only one who feels this is is a bit weird? I'd certainly ask for my entire money back and to be walked to an actual hotel.

HTB.
Old Jan 24, 2017, 11:02 am

Originally Posted by htb
Just to recap the general tone:

Reserved: a room in a newly renovated hotel with breakfast and pool.

Received: a room in a construction site without breakfast nor pool.

Reaction: No reason to complain, you get what you pay for.

Am I the only one who feels this is is a bit weird? I'd certainly ask for my entire money back and to be walked to an actual hotel.

HTB.
I think every flyertalk member except if they own or manage the property agrees with you. The property should of notified the OP that we are not a HIX because of delays so your rate is $99 instead of $199 and here is a bunch of IHG Club points for the inconvenience. Since they didn't do that he should receive a full refund and some points. That being said I would appreciate if someone could post the latest pic of that famous elevator button set up please.
Old Jan 24, 2017, 12:35 pm

Here's an alternative fact, hotel does Holiday Inn Express signage on front and side of the building. I do have photos but no idea how to upload them.

I'm not attacking the OP all I am doing is presenting the facts as they have happened to me. It's not that I'm a Holiday Inn Express type of person, it.'s not a brand I would normally even consider. However as I made my booking at short notice I was left with very litttle option. However even 2 weeks ago Hyatt Centric was showing at $270 a night so anyone would have to consider that the price of this HIX indicated it was not palatial by any means and no amount of renovation will make it so.

rest assured I saw plenty of people randomly sticking their hand into the hole to use the elevators this morning and no sign of damage or injury to any of them. Not a drop of sawdust insight.
Old Jan 24, 2017, 11:56 pm
htb

Programs: UA*G(1K), PC Diamond Amb, Marriott Titanium, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by Toula
Here's an alternative fact, hotel does Holiday Inn Express signage on front and side of the building. I do have photos but no idea how to upload them.
OK, let me see what I'm represented with when booking the hotel:

Honolulu-Waikiki
One of the tallest buildings in Waikiki featuring a beautiful Koi pond surrounded by an open air lobby.
Can you comment on the beautiful Koi pond in the open air lobby?

lways Included with Every Stay
Breakfast
Wifi
Best Price Guarantee
Do they offer breakfast?

A fair warning could be:
Coming soon we will feature a host of exciting amenities and services including complimentary breakfast buffet and a 5th floor skydeck offering a 9-hole mini-golf course, shuffleboard, giant chess game, ping pong and pool tables, foosball, full exercise room, yoga classes and an interactive family game room.
However, this is never shown during the booking process. No warning about the hotel not being finished is shown during the booking process.

HTB.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.