Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Bogus IHG reviews

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5, 2016, 10:54 am
Original Poster

Bogus IHG reviews

Earlier this month an IHG hotel in Europe offered me free breakfast (where none was included in the rate) if I agreed to give them a 10-point rating in a 'IHG Heartbeat' survey

I am sure I was not the only person offered such inducements for a high rating of the hotel and I cannot help wondering how widespreaf the practice is.

So how do you trust those hotel reviews that you see on IHG's site and even on third party sites, when some of them are the results of bribes?
Old Sep 5, 2016, 3:46 pm
cjd

Originally Posted by ksen22
Earlier this month an IHG hotel in Europe offered me free breakfast (where none was included in the rate) if I agreed to give them a 10-point rating in a 'IHG Heartbeat' survey

I am sure I was not the only person offered such inducements for a high rating of the hotel and I cannot help wondering how widespreaf the practice is.

So how do you trust those hotel reviews that you see on IHG's site and even on third party sites, when some of them are the results of bribes?
So did you take the free breakfast? Never been offered that for an excellent review. I tend to not trust hotel reviews, especially on tripadvisor.
Old Sep 6, 2016, 11:49 am

Programs: EY Plat, IHG Plat Amb

Great offer! Always take and do the 10 score. If you the feel your karma doesnt allow you to, balance it of with a lower score you do yourself after you finish your brekky!

Enjoy!
Old Sep 6, 2016, 1:14 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cjd
So did you take the free breakfast? Never been offered that for an excellent review. I tend to not trust hotel reviews, especially on tripadvisor.
Nope
This blatant attempt at bribery disgusted me so much that I opted for the Hilton (similarly priced), which gave me a complimentary breakfast due to my Diamond status there.
Old Sep 6, 2016, 1:38 pm

Programs: IHG Rewards Club, Marriott Rewards
Umm... They shouldn't be able to buy your 10 vote. They should be reported for that.
Old Sep 7, 2016, 3:38 am

Programs: IHG Spire Amb, BA Gold, Hyatt
That is really horrible that they'd try to bribe for good reviews. I too think you should write an email to customer service and report that behaviour. I applaud you, ksen22, for not going along with it.
Old Sep 7, 2016, 4:24 am

So long as it was not an HIX

On a serious note, some reviews that have appeared on the IHG main site have been a little suspect. The HI Birmingham had a load of in depth factual 1 and 2 star reviews from Gold/Spires and then a couple of 4/5 star reviews from base members appeared.. Not saying that they are not actual reviews but maybe they were offering incentives..

Shocking that a property would risk a policy of trying to buy reviews. Was this a rougue employee or the establishment.

A brief note to IHG direct may get you a few goodwill points in thanks for pointing out the approach of the property.
Old Sep 7, 2016, 5:44 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by StevensFirstPrints
Umm... They shouldn't be able to buy your 10 vote. They should be reported for that.
Reported to whom? 'Customer Service' will no doubt land at a desk in Manila armed with an arsenal of template respnses and the issue will stop there, not reaching anybody with an iota of sense.

Originally Posted by Dazedwards
...Shocking that a property would risk a policy of trying to buy reviews. Was this a rougue employee or the establishment...
It was offered, in writing (e-mail) by a Reservations Supervisor!

Last edited by shonamac; Sep 7, 2016 at 5:49 pm
Old Sep 7, 2016, 8:05 pm

Programs: MR LT Titanium, IHG Plat.,UA Premier Silver, & PA/OH Turnpike Million Miler
<BeginRant> Not excusing the behavior of the property. Trying to buy ratings is indeed unethical and wrong. Now the rant.... Part of the problem is brought on by the fact that even though ratings are on a 1 to 10 scale, anything less than a 10 is considered a failure. So this effectively degenerates down to a pass/fail rating system. So there is no room for differentiation to recognize outstanding versus good performance. IHG is not the only culprit. I believe Marriott's rating system is similar though leaves some room for differentiation (e.g. 8 to 10 are passing grades). My car dealership is the same way, The Service Adviser's pay is tied into if they get all 10's on their customer satisfaction surveys. This is ridiculous and puts the consumer in a bad position (e.g. either rate everything as perfect, don't provide feedback at all, or provide honest feedback but wind up hurting employees and/or franchises that shouldn't be hurt (e.g. a 9 is interrupted as terrible and someone gets a bad performance review or becomes ineligible for bonus pay, etc.). <EndRant>.

--Jon
Old Sep 8, 2016, 6:24 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Jon Maiman
So this effectively degenerates down to a pass/fail rating system.
Complete agreement. Actually, it's exactly the same observation I made several times several years ago. I hope your rant is more effective than mine was.
Old Sep 8, 2016, 2:15 pm
htb

Programs: UA*G(1K), PC Diamond Amb, Marriott Titanium, Accor Platinum
When we were bought by an international company they also introduced customer satisfaction questionnaires with scores from 1-10 on various aspects of customer service. And it was the same: anything under 8 points was considered a negative response and weighed as such.

I think it's just unrealistic: some people may give out something in the middle (5-6) for "normal" service and more only if something was completely outstanding.

On surveys I usually give out 8 or 9 when I'm satisfied, but for a 10 there must have been something unusual (usually an incident) where they could prove that their service is outstanding.

One time with a Marriott stay I was given a note when checking out asking me to give 8 points or more if I was satisfied. I understood immediately that they were using the same system.

HTB.
Old Sep 8, 2016, 3:42 pm

Yes for some strange reason a lot of marketing people seem to think the NPS is everything and anything less than a ten is a failure.

At the same time any company with a bit of sense really should be asking themselves why the score is so high. Even the best if the best have blips.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.