Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Need Advice on Other Loyalty Programs

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2016, 1:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: No airline status whatsoever, Chase URs, HHonors Diamond, IHG Platinum
Need Advice on Other Loyalty Programs

I have been a member of IHG's rewards program since Priority Club was started. I have been Platinum for many years. Recently, I forgot to cancel a hotel res and was charged $178 for the unused room, which was fine, my mistake. When I contacted IHG, they tell me that I cannot receive points for this expenditure because it's "not their policy". Not only is this stupid, it's insulting to a loyal member. I am going to use up my 300K points and won't be spending any money with IHG.

So I am looking for a new loyalty program. I am Diamond with Hilton, but would like to add another to replace the IHG membership. I am not familiar with any of the other chains' loyalty programs.

I like the ability to book hotels at various levels, from a Holiday Inn Express to the InterContinental. Could I please get some advice and opinions on who to look at? Many thanks.
Old Jul 21, 2016, 1:52 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Isn't it typical that a no-show gets no points, even if charged for the room? By typical, i mean I thought other chains did that, too. And I completely agree with you that if you pay for a room, you should get points for what you paid.

But you asked for recommendations, and I recommend Hyatt. I have little experience with Starwood (now purchased by Marriott) and I have had bad experiences with Marriott.
Old Jul 21, 2016, 2:05 pm

Programs: Hilton credit card Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
No show gets no points regardless of the chain. It is just like airline frequent flier miles. Otherwise it is easy to game them by booking the cheapest hotel in the world to get stay credit for status or for a promotion. To me this is not stupid or insulting, it is just the way that it works.
Old Jul 21, 2016, 2:06 pm

Programs: IHG Rewards Club, Marriott Rewards
Everyone has a bad story with every chain but if you want something comparable to IHG, its Marriott. Wyndham and Choice are just not held to a high enough standard imo. Marriott has some beautiful properties and even their low tier Fairfield Inns are great.

Btw, its totally ridiculous to not get points for the room when you paid for it.
Old Jul 21, 2016, 2:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Pretty clear in the T&C's you won't get points. Below is from Hilton's T&C's so don't go there if you are trying to get points for a no show.

4. No points, miles, or credit toward tier status will be awarded for "no show" situations when a Member has made a reservation guaranteed with a credit card but then does not check in to the hotel--irrespective of whether or not the Member's credit card is charged for any portion of the reserved stay per the hotel's "no show" policy.
And I can pretty much guarantee every chain is the same. So leaving only because of this policy won't solve anything if it happens at another chain because they won't give you points either.
Old Jul 21, 2016, 4:09 pm

Programs: AC SE 100k MM, SPG Platinum, Hilton, Hyatt Gold, Airmiles, AMEX
Starwood is the same, and I've just had to beg and grovel to try and get refund for brain farts on not cancelling reservations. It has always worked with a little gentle persuasion.
Old Jul 21, 2016, 4:54 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
I agree with others here that your decision to leave IHG is hasty. You are upset over a policy that a) was administered exactly as published and b) is likely not different at any other brand you would consider moving to. That said, if you do wish to leave IHG, your decision about what brand family to switch to depends on which aspect of IHG's program you like:
  • If you like the large number of properties across the range of brands IHG portfolio, choose between Marriott and Hilton. Only they come close to IHG in this regard.
  • If you like the high end properties specifically (IC) consider Hyatt or Starwood.
  • OTOH if you like the ability to find a solid mid-range HIX in small towns in the US, look at Choice. Both IHG and Choice-- but even moreso Choice-- have properties in smaller population centers that MR, HH, SPG, etc. don't bother with.
Old Jul 21, 2016, 7:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
You can always just move to hotels.com. Between cashback and the 1 night free for every ten you can do quite nicely, although with no status benefits (which at IHG are limited anyhow). And hotels.com don't care if you show up or not...
Old Jul 22, 2016, 1:51 am

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by jsn55
I have been a member of IHG's rewards program since Priority Club was started. I have been Platinum for many years. Recently, I forgot to cancel a hotel res and was charged $178 for the unused room, which was fine, my mistake. When I contacted IHG, they tell me that I cannot receive points for this expenditure because it's "not their policy". Not only is this stupid, it's insulting to a loyal member. I am going to use up my 300K points and won't be spending any money with IHG.

So I am looking for a new loyalty program. I am Diamond with Hilton, but would like to add another to replace the IHG membership. I am not familiar with any of the other chains' loyalty programs.

I like the ability to book hotels at various levels, from a Holiday Inn Express to the InterContinental. Could I please get some advice and opinions on who to look at? Many thanks.
So if instead you'd overlooked a Hilton/Marriott/SPG/Accor booking, and equally been charged without earning points you throw that chain to the wolves and never stay again???

Hotel Chain loyalty schemes are same and same as airlines, you only get credit if you stay the night OR fly booked flights. You earn no credits for missed nights/missed flights
Old Jul 22, 2016, 3:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Without this policy, we would all be booking cheap hotels in China to hit our Accelerate targets. Shared on social media, cheap hotels would be sold out every night but have no guests and so food etc revenue .....
Old Jul 22, 2016, 10:12 am

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
Originally Posted by Raffles
Without this policy, we would all be booking cheap hotels in China to hit our Accelerate targets. Shared on social media, cheap hotels would be sold out every night but have no guests and so food etc revenue .....
I am sure there are enterprising businesspeople in China who would be thrilled to have that as a business model. It could be very profitable!
Old Jul 22, 2016, 11:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: No airline status whatsoever, Chase URs, HHonors Diamond, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by Raffles
Well, THANK YOU, Raffles ... now I get it. Being a good lil honest Midwestern Lutheran girl, booking and cancelling a cheap hotel for a promotion would never occur to me. Perhaps as a gesture of good will, the hotel chains could 'gift' their elite members with some miles to recognize and support them when they screw up like I did.

I appreciate all the input. Just for curiosity, I am going to check Marriott's program and their affinity credit card, however.
Old Jul 22, 2016, 1:50 pm

Programs: IHG Rewards Club, Marriott Rewards
jsn55, I think Marriott is realistically your only other option based on what Ive read so far. Just remember, they will eventually let you down too. They all do. Just go over to the SPG forum, even they have complaints.

Raffles thank you for that info. I never thought about it though I guess that makes sense.
Old Jul 23, 2016, 11:38 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by scubaccr
So if instead you'd overlooked a Hilton/Marriott/SPG/Accor booking, and equally been charged without earning points you throw that chain to the wolves and never stay again???

Hotel Chain loyalty schemes are same and same as airlines, you only get credit if you stay the night OR fly booked flights. You earn no credits for missed nights/missed flights
Oh my, I had forgotten how nasty people can be on this forum. Does it make you feel better to be rude?
Old Jul 23, 2016, 11:39 am
Original Poster

Positive update

Originally Posted by StevensFirstPrints
jsn55, I think Marriott is realistically your only other option based on what Ive read so far. Just remember, they will eventually let you down too. They all do. Just go over to the SPG forum, even they have complaints.

Raffles thank you for that info. I never thought about it though I guess that makes sense.
Thank you all (most of you) for the information so I could put this issue to bed in my little mind. Yesterday morning I sent IHG an email asking them to escalate my request for points and make an exception. They replied with a most cordial email and gave me a little gift of points. When I responded, I apologized for my ignorance and thanked them. Without you guys, I'd never have known the reason behind what I saw as an arbitrary rule. I REALLY like IHG's rewards program and some of their hotels are always my first choice ... the CrownePlaza at Heathrow, for example, is just a superb hotel and I've been staying there for 20 years. I'm grateful to you for setting me straight.

Last edited by jsn55; Jul 23, 2016 at 11:46 am Reason: FAT FINGER MISTAKE

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.