Community
Wiki Posts
Search

All the Los Angeles Crowne Plazas look terrible...

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29, 2016, 8:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
For me the best in LA county is the CP San Pedro. Especially for Platinum/Spire as they always upgrade me to a nice big ocean view suite. And there are nice bars/restaurants within walking distance.
Old Apr 29, 2016, 9:57 am

Programs: Flying blue
That is strange to hear, I've always found crowne plaza to be the better IHG hotels in the UK.
Old Apr 29, 2016, 10:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by vexorg
That is strange to hear, I've always found crowne plaza to be the better IHG hotels in the UK.
For most all hotel chains, the US hotels are the worst in the world. IHG, Starwood, Hyatt, Hilton, etc.
Old Apr 29, 2016, 10:47 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by stimpy
For most all hotel chains, the US hotels are the worst in the world. IHG, Starwood, Hyatt, Hilton, etc.
I've heard that mentioned more than once before by frequent and/or foreign travelers and it always struck me as curious. I wonder why it's that way??
Old Apr 29, 2016, 11:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Upsidezdown
I've heard that mentioned more than once before by frequent and/or foreign travelers and it always struck me as curious. I wonder why it's that way??
I think for the most part it was because the US business hotel industry built up rapidly in the 70's and all those old hotels aren't easy to renovate. Whereas most of the CP type hotels, Sheratons, Westins, Hyatt's etc that were built up around the world were came many years or decades later and took into account modern hotel practices.
Old Apr 29, 2016, 12:49 pm

I stayed at the CP LAX last night.No upgrade crap room,even the coffee maker did not work.So far my welcome points have not posted either.
Old Apr 29, 2016, 2:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF/KLM Club 2000 | InterContinental Diamond RA |AMEX Plat | Visa Infinite |Hertz President's Circle
I think for the most part it was because the US business hotel industry built up rapidly in the 70's and all those old hotels aren't easy to renovate. Whereas most of the CP type hotels, Sheratons, Westins, Hyatt's etc that were built up around the world were came many years or decades later and took into account modern hotel practices.
Remember also that most US properties are franchises (difficult to manage, and hardling willing to invest in massive renovation plans).
Old Apr 29, 2016, 8:50 pm

Programs: AA Plat, HH Gold, MR Plat
There's nothing impressive about any of the hotels by LAX (Sheraton, Westin, Hilton, etc). They're all kinda "meh", but the Crowne Plaza is ok. It's been renovated and is perfectly fine for an airport hotel.

I only have 2 complaints about the property:

1. Breakfast buffet in the restaurant is somewhat lacking compared to other hotels.

2. Mexican protesters. Don't plan on sleeping past 7am because you WILL be woken up by horns and loud shouting in Spanish. It's enough to make you want Trump to build that wall ASAP lol
Old May 1, 2016, 1:01 am

Programs: DL Silver, NZ, VS, HH, IHG Gold, Marriott, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by CalItalian
LAX recently went though a full remodel. They actually have larger suites that are not listed on the IHG website. They upgrade both Platinum and Spire Elites.
http://www.crowneplazalax.com/

I agree - a nice hotel with a recent remodel. There is a fair amount of airport and traffic noise. The hotel is between the runways and not far from rental car return.

Yes, there is still a labor protest in the morning. We were eating the overpriced breakfast when it started.

Last edited by AndrewAndDebbie; May 1, 2016 at 1:08 am
Old May 1, 2016, 1:06 am

For me the best in LA county is the CP San Pedro. Especially for Platinum/Spire as they always upgrade me to a nice big ocean view suite. And there are nice bars/restaurants within walking distance.

We've been going there for years. After a very disappointing stay around Christmas, we decided to stay at the San Pedro DoubleTree instead. The freshly renovated DoubleTree is far better. DoubleTree Marina View jr. suite is highly recommended.

Agree, CP San Pedro has better selection of restaurants in walking distance.

The CP San Pedro is currently undergoing a complete renovation. I would avoid it until they finish. The dates are on the website.

After the renovation I'd expect it to be on par with the DoubleTree.

Last edited by AndrewAndDebbie; May 3, 2016 at 10:34 am
Old May 2, 2016, 9:53 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nicolas75
We need to remember that Crowne Plaza hotels is a brand which was created on the basis of upscales Holiday Inn properties
This was my understanding as well... at least as a consumer of their advertising materials.
Old May 3, 2016, 10:26 am

That's a fair point; thanks for the reply. I booked us one night in the IC but after that we'll be visiting attractions that are too far away from it and with traffic as bad as it is in LA I couldn't make it work.
Where are you going in LA?

If you are trying to impress location is important!!!

HI Burbank-Media Center has a tower of all suites and a tower of normal rooms. A solid property in a great location but not an impressive hotel. (more like a good HI)

The Commerce CP might look nice, but ummm it is in Commerce. Did you watch Season 2 of True Detective? Commerce is right next to Vernon (Vinci).

We have never stayed at IC Century City but that would be one to look at if you are trying book an impressive hotel.
Old Jun 6, 2016, 6:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AndrewAndDebbie
We've been going there for years. After a very disappointing stay around Christmas, we decided to stay at the San Pedro DoubleTree instead. The freshly renovated DoubleTree is far better. DoubleTree Marina View jr. suite is highly recommended.

Agree, CP San Pedro has better selection of restaurants in walking distance.

The CP San Pedro is currently undergoing a complete renovation. I would avoid it until they finish. The dates are on the website.

After the renovation I'd expect it to be on par with the DoubleTree.
Thanks for the info. The website says the renovations finish on June 30th. I plan to try it out a month later. Hopefully it will be nice as I was surprised to see it priced cheaper than another other IHG hotel around.
Old Jun 7, 2016, 2:27 am

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
USA is land of CC status for various chains. As such unlike say Europe+Asia where Elite Numbers per hotel per night are limited to those earning by bums in beds, in USA a higher %age of elite per night is highly likely, so hotels give les back.
Old Jun 30, 2016, 11:25 am

Programs: AA LT Plat, IHG Plat., former LH HON (now Silver), Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by DeepUnderground
Do they still have the early morning megaphone protesters at the LAX crowne plaza chanting in Spanish for the hotel employees to unionize?
yep, last month when I was there, and it was during my breakfast

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.