Wiki Posts
Search

Berlin

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19, 2015, 2:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Blue, IHG Spire, Marriott Gold
Berlin

Hi, apologies if this has been covered in a previous thread, nothing really came up when I did it a search but it's not always an exact science!
Anyway I'm off to berlin for a weekend and just wondered if anyone had any recommendations of which IHG hotel to stay at (or not!), given that there appears to be 1 intercontinental, 2 crowne plazas, 2 hotel indigos and lots of holiday inns.

I'll probably stay at a couple of them for a bit of variety so any tips appreciated!
Old Nov 19, 2015, 2:54 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, HHonors Diamond, IHG Uninspired, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, UK AMEX Plat
What are you doing in Berlin? And/or where do you want to be?

I've had good stays at both the IC and the Hotel Indigo, but they're in quite different bits of the city, and I wouldn't want to be at one if I needed to mostly be around the location of the other!
Old Nov 19, 2015, 3:35 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Gagravarr
What are you doing in Berlin? And/or where do you want to be?

I've had good stays at both the IC and the Hotel Indigo, but they're in quite different bits of the city, and I wouldn't want to be at one if I needed to mostly be around the location of the other!
Good point! not really sure at this stage - just a fairly relaxing weekend away with a bit of sightseeing and hopefully some good food and drinks.
The IC looks good so am thinking I'll give that a go and then maybe stay out near Potsdamer Plaza one night...
Old Nov 19, 2015, 3:57 am

Programs: AB Platinum (AB4EVA), IHG Diamond, Dominos Gold
Berlin is a fantastic destination when it comes to good IHG Properties.

When the budget allows it, the IC Berlin is probably one of the best IC properties out there.

Otherwise, I regularly stay at the Holiday Inn Alexanderplatz and actually prefer it over the Indigo - they're both next to each other in what is essentially the same building, I believe they're owned by the same franchisee. While the Indigo may be considered more stylish, the HI provided me with nicer upgrades (bigger room, a balcony overlooking the Alex and free snacks are always a winner!).

The HI "East Side" is a good destination when you're in the area for business, or attending an event at the o2 World.
Old Nov 19, 2015, 4:02 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by raph
Berlin is a fantastic destination when it comes to good IHG Properties.

When the budget allows it, the IC Berlin is probably one of the best IC properties out there.

Otherwise, I regularly stay at the Holiday Inn Alexanderplatz and actually prefer it over the Indigo - they're both next to each other in what is essentially the same building, I believe they're owned by the same franchisee. While the Indigo may be considered more stylish, the HI provided me with nicer upgrades (bigger room, a balcony overlooking the Alex and free snacks are always a winner!).

The HI "East Side" is a good destination when you're in the area for business, or attending an event at the o2 World.
Thanks, that's really useful! Will definitely check the Holiday Inn Alexanderplatz out!
Old Nov 19, 2015, 4:44 am

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
If you have no Ambassador elite status with IHG the despite the IC location I'd skip the IC

Then consider if you want a minimal included breakfast, if so HIE hotels in Berlin are not a bad choice and you don't lose out by ot having status at an hie in europe as no bennies othe than Internet fr elites

If you were Platinum ? then I would recommend the CP near the zoo which is also metro location and HIAlexanderplatz comes as next choice.

Metro around Berlin is good, frequent and easy as well as relatively cheap so if doing sites all over Berlin location is not that critical

Indigo if you've not used before are more a boutique feeling hotel, nothing wrong with them though, just location not so convenient for getting around Berlin to my Mindoro
Old Nov 19, 2015, 5:08 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by scubaccr
If you have no Ambassador elite status with IHG the despite the IC location I'd skip the IC

Then consider if you want a minimal included breakfast, if so HIE hotels in Berlin are not a bad choice and you don't lose out by ot having status at an hie in europe as no bennies othe than Internet fr elites

If you were Platinum ? then I would recommend the CP near the zoo which is also metro location and HIAlexanderplatz comes as next choice.

Metro around Berlin is good, frequent and easy as well as relatively cheap so if doing sites all over Berlin location is not that critical

Indigo if you've not used before are more a boutique feeling hotel, nothing wrong with them though, just location not so convenient for getting around Berlin to my Mindoro
Thanks, that's good advice. Elite status wise I'm (whisper it quietly) only a lowly Gold so that's something I'll bear in mind, however the IC is coming out pretty cheap on one of the nights i'm looking at so I'll give it some thought.
Old Nov 20, 2015, 12:01 am
htb

Programs: UA*G(1K), PC Diamond Amb, Marriott Titanium, Accor Platinum
Then consider if you want a minimal included breakfast, if so HIE hotels in Berlin are not a bad choice
You might want to re-think your definition of "minimal breakfast".

I know "minimal breakfast" as what you get in some Japanese business hotels: two slices of toast with a pack of butter and a pack of jam, along with a cup of coffee or tea, served on a tray.

Breakfast at German HIX is far from minimalistic. It's buffet-style, has a selection of breads, sausages, cooked eggs, jams, various types of coffee, some warm items (usually bacon and eggs), and some green stuff (salads, fruits...).

Nothing if compared to the buffet at an IC, but really very far from "minimal". There are usually too many choices as to be able to pick one item of each offering.

HTB.

Last edited by htb; Nov 20, 2015 at 2:21 am Reason: typo
Old Nov 20, 2015, 1:28 am

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
As we are speaking of breakfast, if you pick the IC definitely book a rate that includes it. It is very, very good and super extensive and one of the best I have had and I usually stay in Asian ICs that are far from skimpy when it comes to good breakfast offerings.

BTW, if you are okay to walk a bit the Potsdamer Platz can definitely be reached by foot from the IC. It is just under 2km IIRC and possible lousy weather aside normally a quite pleasant walk.
Old Nov 20, 2015, 9:52 pm

Programs: DL, WN, AA, IHG Diamond, Hertz 5*
I would like to hear your reasoning for this. I have an upcoming stay booked for the IC and am IHG Gold.
Old Nov 21, 2015, 3:51 am

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by DavidDTW
I would like to hear your reasoning for this. I have an upcoming stay booked for the IC and am IHG Gold.
No you'll have a nice stay in a nice IC hotel, at great rate per night compared to rates of the IC's in London, Paris, Amsterdam.

As an ihg gold you don't lose out like eg an IHG Plat/Spire would on a room upgrade at say the nearby CP. I certainly see the attraction in booking IC Berlin when you compare the IC Berlin hotel room rates to the nearby CP and Indigo hotels.

IC Berlin Hotel has a nice pool, and good breakfast in ground floor restaurant I think 33euro per person, although if you purchase lounge access at IC Berlin this is one of the hotels that then allows you to have your breakfast in either Lounge or Restaurant. There is also the upmarket restaurant on top floor for dinner.
In fact buy lounge access upsell you also get given both premium internet and the in room minbar too which is handy and upsell is good value if 2guests per room.

Only thing as non(or low)-status IHGer in an IC is you nearly always get the room type you booked, nothing really wrong with that, rooms are fine and beds comfy.

I only switched to IC's after enrolling in Ambassador program, but then I was already a Platinum booking mostly CP hotels, and never came across a CP that didnt upgrade me as a Platinum, so wanted same treatment at IC's. Annoyingly I never knew of RA sub-program at that time I switched.
Old Nov 21, 2015, 3:39 pm

Programs: IC Amb.,FB,Hertz,Sixt
I can certainly recommend the IC Berlin, the location is good for the shops and sights of West Berlin. The 200 bus stops outside the door to get to Mitte ( Brandenburg Gate ,Reichstag,Museum Island etc) and runs every 5 mins. It is a nice walk to Potsdamerplatz next to the embassies and the park.
If the price is reasonable the I would go for a deluxe room in the West wing, these were refurbished a few years ago, request West wing when booking. As said book a breakfast included rate, if you opt for room service then there is a €10 supplement.
I like the club lounge if my room is on that floor but otherwise I wouldn't go there and for the €70 a day that it will cost you there are plenty of places to go out to that are a bit more fun.
Old Nov 22, 2015, 9:12 am

Another recommendation for the IC. It is not in the best location for the usual touristy things. There is a bus, but it adds around 30 min per way compared to a hotel in the center.
Avoid the Crowne Plaza. It is very disappointing.
Old Jan 22, 2016, 5:52 pm

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
I agree that the IC is awesome. But it is actually sold out for dates of my upcoming travel (as is the Indigo and CP Potsdamer Platz). Thoughts on the other properties (HIX and HI)? Thanks!
Old Jan 23, 2016, 4:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF/KLM Club 2000 | InterContinental Diamond RA |AMEX Plat | Visa Infinite |Hertz President's Circle
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/inter...hg-berlin.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.