Community
Wiki Posts
Search

IC Cartagena de Indias (Master Thread)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2015, 2:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: TK Elite+, *A Gold, ITA Executive, SkyTeam Elite Plus, HH Diamond, IHG Spire, Wyndham Diamond
IC Cartagena de Indias (Master Thread)

Has anybody stayed at the new IC in Cartagena? I am debating whether it's worth double the points or pesos of the HI Morros Beach Resort, which also looks new and nice.
Old Jul 28, 2015, 11:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: TK Elite+, *A Gold, ITA Executive, SkyTeam Elite Plus, HH Diamond, IHG Spire, Wyndham Diamond
*BUMP*
Old Apr 24, 2016, 3:58 pm
Original Poster

*BUMP*
Old Oct 15, 2016, 12:43 pm

Does anyone have any insight into this place? I was going to stay at the Hilton Resort next door but it looks sold out. Any feedback?
Old Oct 18, 2016, 7:45 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by omghaxcode
Does anyone have any insight into this place? I was going to stay at the Hilton Resort next door but it looks sold out. Any feedback?
Sadly, I haven't been yet. Hope that changes soon.
Old Oct 19, 2016, 12:11 am

Programs: IC - RA, AC - SE 1MM
Feedback on IC Cartegena

I stayed there for 12 days in March 2016. The place is absolutely amazing, the service is awesome as well. I am a Royal Ambassador an they have us a 1000 sq foot suite plus breakfast downstairs and free drinks and apps in the lounge at night. Great value and great staff.
Old Oct 19, 2016, 12:59 am

Programs: AS 100K, UA MM, AA MM, IC Plat Amb, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist
I stayed at the IC Cartagena in October of 2015. Here are my (unedited) notes from that stay:

Pluses
- welcome drink on arrival
- choice of 500 points or food amenity (trail mix)
- fruit and 2 bottles of water in room
- ample power ports at bedside and in every room
- upgrade on points stay (booked ocean view from, upgraded to ocean view suite)
- friendly staff

Minuses
- no coffee maker in room
- safe not working (not reported)
- A/C uneven (probably room dependent)
- confusing banks of power switches in every room
- complicated process to register visitors (register cédula at street entrance, copy cédula at front desk)
- charge for visitors was not explained at first, then varying explanations were given
- concierge has very limited hours (only until 4 pm)

Observations
- no soap dish in bathroom
- no tissue dispenser, just plain box
- new hotel, I'm told 4 months
- lobby on 6th floor, requires 2 elevators to reach guest rooms
- very expensive hotel, did not explore any restaurants within
- platform bed
- TV in bedroom but not in living room
Old Nov 23, 2016, 6:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by mikew99
Minuses
- no coffee maker in room
- safe not working (not reported)
- A/C uneven (probably room dependent)
- confusing banks of power switches in every room
- complicated process to register visitors (register cédula at street entrance, copy cédula at front desk)
- charge for visitors was not explained at first, then varying explanations were given
- concierge has very limited hours (only until 4 pm)

Observations
- no soap dish in bathroom
- no tissue dispenser, just plain box
- new hotel, I'm told 4 months
- lobby on 6th floor, requires 2 elevators to reach guest rooms
- very expensive hotel, did not explore any restaurants within
- platform bed
- TV in bedroom but not in living room

Nothing much has changed for he positive, except we have soap dishes and a tissue box.

Television in bedroom also, but both TV's are hanging off the wall with wires hanging out beneath. And one of the windows is cracked.

Staff up to reception level are charming and helpful. The rest are over-stretched in competence and work-load. Senior staff are constantly in meetings (though I think that's a euphemism ). Seems there's no phone operator: attending calls is part of reception duties. The concierge is one of the more switched-on hotel officers.

No tea/coffee facilities in the room. Still no Club, and gym not yet ready. I think they ran out of money, although substantial amounts went on shower controls: these need a couple of days, and a measure of patience, to get used to.

Overnight visitors (another euphemism) are charged at $75. The receptionist was explaining this over the phone cradled in his neck while he tried to check me in. Apparently the punter/guest then asked about charges for a shorter afternoon session No clear answer, but I'm guessing the hotel will get its cut.

Constant chivvying to get water bottle in the room, though weirdly they brought me a bottle of wine.

The area is honky-tonk: lots of opportunities for creating those $75 visits...

Beach is grubby, full of vendors. Hotel has no beach concession, but the pool is on of the unique high spots of the place. The view from higher floors is another.

If it's a tourism visit i'd suggest staying in the old town, which is just total charm - and certainly where you'll want to be to eat in the evening.

STOP PRESS: I'm reminded I'm wrong about the tissue box. Tissues are presented in their unglorified commercial packaging. Absolutely no problem, but just that it creates the suggestion that eyes are not on the ball, or perhaps funds are not available for such trivialities.

Last edited by IAN-UK; Nov 23, 2016 at 9:39 am Reason: STOP PRESS
Old Jul 8, 2017, 5:39 am

Programs: SPG Platinum, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Ambassador, Oneworld Sapphire / BA Silver
Good morning,

I'm more a reader of FlyerTalk than a contributor, but since I recently stayed at the IC Cartagena, I thought I dropped by.

I stayed last week (july 2017) as an Ambassador / Gold with no strong history with IHG until now.

I've had a pleasant stay in a Club Room with Ocean View (was upgraded from Club Room Bay View). The lounge is nice (closed on sundays though), and so are the facilities like the gym.

To be 100% honest, since I also spent some time at the Sofitel Santa Clara, the Hyatt Regency , the Hilton Cartagena and the Hampton by Hilton Cartagena, I would recommend either the Hyatt or the IC (with a strong preference for the Hyatt).

I published some pictures and a review of the IC Cartagena (hope my english is not too bad) if you want to know more what to expect :

http://lafilledu6a.fr/hotel-review-i...bassador-gold/

Best regards
Sophie
Old Feb 4, 2018, 1:29 pm

Just added a few comments about this place to the Royal Ambassador Thread
Old Feb 5, 2018, 3:32 am

Programs: FB Plat, IHG RA Spire, TK Elite+, HH Diamond, LH SEN, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Unterwegs
Just added a few comments about this place to the Royal Ambassador Thread
Your comments sound very much similar to the IC Cali and IC Medellin...all are about the same.
Old Feb 5, 2018, 9:12 am

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by Lewis42
Your comments sound very much similar to the IC Cali and IC Medellin...all are about the same.
I found the IC Medellin and IC Cartagena very different. Medellin is a dated property, had a dark room that didn't feel luxurious, struggled to get Ambassador benefits, in a bad location. Cartagena is a brand new property, just as good a location as other Bocagrande properties. was upgraded to a suite as a Plat Ambassador and given lounge access.
I found service at both to suck though But in Cartagena there was always a massive line at the front desk while 5 or 6 employees stood in back chatting with each other. There were also prostitutes at breakfast with their Johns in the lounge and I got stuck in the elevator during one of multiple power outages.
Hyatt was 10x better.
Old Feb 5, 2018, 9:30 am

Originally Posted by Adam1222
I found the IC Medellin and IC Cartagena very different. Medellin is a dated property, had a dark room that didn't feel luxurious, struggled to get Ambassador benefits, in a bad location. Cartagena is a brand new property, just as good a location as other Bocagrande properties. was upgraded to a suite as a Plat Ambassador and given lounge access.
I found service at both to suck though But in Cartagena there was always a massive line at the front desk while 5 or 6 employees stood in back chatting with each other. There were also prostitutes at breakfast with their Johns in the lounge and I got stuck in the elevator during one of multiple power outages.
Hyatt was 10x better.
I agree about the buildings. Medellin is old and tired, Cartagena is new but not well kept. The suite we got in Medellin had windows on two sides, it did not feel dark, but the suite in Cartagena was impressive with huge windows to three sides.
Otherwise they were similar: food (breakfast in the main restaurant and also all day in the club lounge) was not what you would expect in an IC. Medellin was a tad better, Cartagena was dismal.
Did not experience long lines at the front desk at either, also did not notice 'outside' visitors in the club lounge (but in both hotels the lounges where completely empty most of the time, otherwise only very few guests).

Last edited by Unterwegs; Feb 5, 2018 at 9:36 am
Old Feb 5, 2018, 11:41 am

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by Unterwegs
Did not experience long lines at the front desk at either, also did not notice 'outside' visitors in the club lounge (but in both hotels the lounges where completely empty most of the time, otherwise only very few guests).
I only saw these guests on the day I had breakfast early - shortly after the club opened.
Old Aug 3, 2019, 7:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Great 4 night stay here. No status so booked a corner suite (windows on 3 sides) with lounge access. Lovely room with 1.5 baths (huge master bathroom).

Our rate included breakfast in the restaurant which was OK but not outstanding. Breakfast was always crowded and service was slow.

The lounge on the 15th floor was very nice and is undergoing renovations to add a huge outdoor terrace. The food in the evening is very meat centric (not a single vegetable offered during my 4 nights) but the chef made me some fabulous vegetarian snacks (samosas, spring rolls, quinoa salad, etc) every night.

The beach is across the street and if you cross, you are making yourself available to all the beach vendors. The pool was nice and long, but unbelievably, there are only 3 double wide chairs (6 seats) that provide shade in this tropical climate!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.