Wiki Posts
Search

Account hacked, points spent

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15, 2015, 12:12 pm
htb

Programs: UA*G(1K), PC Diamond Amb, Marriott Titanium, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by IHG Care
Safety and Security at IHG are our first and foremost concern.
Sounds good. But if it were true, how do you explain mandatory 4-digit PIN codes?

HTB.
Old Jun 18, 2015, 12:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: IHG
Just to update, my account is still closed after 8 days, and despite various calls and emails, it looks like staying that way for the forseeable future.
It's still with the fraud department, and despite a supervisor calling me today to say she was going to create a new account for me, she then came back saying she couldn't, and that I'd have to wait another 3-5 days. - which has been the story all along.
It's simply not good enough.
Old Jun 18, 2015, 1:05 pm

Programs: IHG, RC, HH, AA, QF, UA, Aeroplan
Originally Posted by turner32
Just to update, my account is still closed after 8 days, and despite various calls and emails, it looks like staying that way for the forseeable future.
It's still with the fraud department, and despite a supervisor calling me today to say she was going to create a new account for me, she then came back saying she couldn't, and that I'd have to wait another 3-5 days. - which has been the story all along.
It's simply not good enough.
all the best for a speedy resolution, IHG is notorious for closing accounts, with no contact, and when they are contacted, they say you'll get a call from a supervisor within a few business days, it's a hell of a way to treat their loyal member customers, how about an automated email to let you know about, couldn't be too hard, or an automated telephone call, although i suspect that may well be too challenging for IHG's IT dept, and imagine their management cld care less in any case, they don't act in the interests of shareholders, so why wld they act in the best interests of their customers.

i hope your case is solved quickly, and to your satisfaction.
Old Jun 19, 2015, 8:23 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Tim O'Brien
all the best for a speedy resolution, IHG is notorious for closing accounts, with no contact, and when they are contacted, they say you'll get a call from a supervisor within a few business days, it's a hell of a way to treat their loyal member customers, how about an automated email to let you know about, couldn't be too hard, or an automated telephone call, although i suspect that may well be too challenging for IHG's IT dept, and imagine their management cld care less in any case, they don't act in the interests of shareholders, so why wld they act in the best interests of their customers.

i hope your case is solved quickly, and to your satisfaction.

Thanks, Tim. Ironically, my account is now so secure that I cannot even access it.
Old Jun 19, 2015, 11:30 am

Thanks, Tim. Ironically, my account is now so secure that I cannot even access it.
like you said, how difficult cld it be to just establish a new account for you, crazy stuff, have they said, or put in writing that they'll give you your points back? They're an odd bunch.
Old Jun 19, 2015, 12:01 pm

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
If you had a somewhat high balance , now that IHG corporate we're involved, no doubt they are taking the opportunity to review your account for any fraud to obtain points , bpg, use of promo codes, etc.

Until that decision is made your account is locked and you can not even open another account as the supervisor trying to help you found out.
Old Jun 20, 2015, 5:11 am
Original Poster

I called again this morning. They've now created a new account, which is blocked until my RA expires/renews in October. All of my points are now in this account which i'm unable to use. I have to use the old account until then..
Old Jun 20, 2015, 6:26 am
htb

I called again this morning. They've now created a new account, which is blocked until my RA expires/renews in October. All of my points are now in this account which i'm unable to use. I have to use the old account until then..
Did they even try to explain what this is supposed to do for you? Is this another word for "we confiscated all your points but won't tell you until October"?

HTB.
Old Jun 20, 2015, 7:22 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by htb
Did they even try to explain what this is supposed to do for you? Is this another word for "we confiscated all your points but won't tell you until October"?

HTB.
It's ridiculous. They seem to think they've done me some kind of favour.
Old Jun 20, 2015, 8:32 am

when you use the old account until your renewal date in October, i take it you're getting all the RA benefits, and additional points etc, and if they then transfer those points in Oct to the new account, everything shld be fine, other than the points being unusable, if you wanted to redeem, you don't think they'd allow that? i maintain my earlier view, that they are an odd lot. Why cldn't they just close that account, and give you a new one, simple?
Old Jun 20, 2015, 2:06 pm
htb

Why cldn't they just close that account, and give you a new one, simple?
Close it why exactly? Because some hacker knows the account number and protection by 4 digits is not sufficient?

I feel safer already...

HTB.
Old Jun 20, 2015, 3:28 pm

Originally Posted by htb
Close it why exactly? Because some hacker knows the account number and protection by 4 digits is not sufficient?

I feel safer already...

HTB.
because that's what they already did, and had informed him of it. My point is, why wld that preclude him from having another account opened, and transferring his points into that account. I don't understand why they are making him wait till the renewal in October, although is consistent with IHG management's ineptitude.

i'm not sure that this is a wide spread problem at IHG, earlier i made the obvious observation, that they add a layer, not dissimilar to the banks for example, a personal question.
Old Jun 20, 2015, 4:09 pm

Originally Posted by IHG Care
Dear turner32,

Safety and Security at IHG are our first and foremost concern. IHG has a number of behind the scenes security processes to protect our guests while considering guest's requests for ease of use of their IHG Rewards Club Accounts. If you have concerns about any unauthorized access to your accounts, please contact the IHG Rewards Club Service Center at the contact details on the back of your IHG Rewards Club Card.

Sincerely,

Karen C.
Case Manager
IHGCare
Strangely silent on this one now Karen?
Old Jun 20, 2015, 9:39 pm

Originally Posted by mister.c.
Strangely silent on this one now Karen?
IHG & Care are oxymorons, any old loyal customers know that
Old Jun 21, 2015, 3:10 am
Original Poster

IHG & Care are oxymorons, any old loyal customers know that
The old account is being kept alive purely for RA benefits. That's the one I have to use till October. I asked them for a form of recompense (points), so they gave me 5000 points. They are certainly strange.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.