Wiki Posts
Search

Cancellation policy in Germany

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9, 2015, 1:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: AY, SK, TK
Cancellation policy in Germany

The bolded text is very typical I have seen in all my reservations in Germany, but I have never been charged anything in reality when I have cancelled.
However, today I was cancelling a room by online Chat tool (since I could not cancel it myself online due to some IT glitch or whatever), and the Chat agent told me there will be a charge deducted.

Have you guys been charged that 10% when cancelling?
I find this cancel fee very ridiculous and nowhere else have I experienced this than IHG Germany.

Cancellation Policy: Canceling your reservation after 6:00 PM (local hotel time) on XX YYYY, 2015
, or failing to show, will result in a charge equal to the first night's stay per room to your credit card. Taxes may apply. Failing to call or show before check-out time after the first night of a reservation will result in cancellation of the remainder of your reservation. Cancellation policy for hotels in Germany: There will be a deduction from this charge for expenses saved by the hotel (generally 10% of the booking price and 20% for accommodation with breakfast).
Old Jun 9, 2015, 1:28 am

This paragraph refers to cancelling non-refundable reservations, for which hotels in Germany are required by law to refund 10% of rates without breakfast and 20% of rates inclusive of breakfast. These percentages will be deducted from your total room rate, so you are only charged 80-90% when cancelling a non-refundable reservation.
Old Jun 9, 2015, 2:35 am

Originally Posted by FFlash

Have you guys been charged that 10% when cancelling?
I find this cancel fee very ridiculous and nowhere else have I experienced this than IHG Germany.
Ridiculous?? What are you talking about? This works in YOUR favor!!!!

if you have to cancel a reservation, and you lose a day's deposit because it was a prepaid (or whatever the case may be), the hotel is required to GIVE you 10% of your prepaid reservation back because they will not be incurring certain fees now that you arent there (cleaning, utilities, etc). This is one of the best consumer protection laws for hotel policys out there - I wish other countries enacted it, because it's fair and makes perfect sense.

If your rate is fully cancellable and refundable without penalty, then the 10% doesn't apply to you anyway.
Old Jun 9, 2015, 2:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: AY, SK, TK
OK folks, I learned something new again, thanks for pointing out that.

For clarity, my reservation was a fully-refundable one, so in that case it was very weird that the Chat agent was telling me about the fee.

For non-refundable reservations, that paragraph is certainly in favor of consumer ^
Old Jun 9, 2015, 8:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The rep was wrong, of course. Actually, I suppose the rep was technically correct. The cancellation fee was 0 minus 10% of 0, which is 0.
Old Jun 9, 2015, 8:55 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
This thread goes to prove that no good deed, even one required by law, goes unpunished!
Old Jun 10, 2015, 11:15 am
htb

Programs: UA*G(1K), PC Diamond Amb, Marriott Titanium, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by Often1
This thread goes to prove that no good deed, even one required by law, goes unpunished!
I think this just proves that corporations should put more effort into clear communication. It shouldn't be difficult to determine that a hotel lies in Germany, so the whole "hotels in Germany" clause can be removed. It's also not too difficult to know whether the rate is with or without breakfast. They could therefore simply write "you will be charged ...€ for no-show/cancellation".

The current language is so convoluted that even agents, presumably trained in their fee system, don't understand what it says.

HTB.
Old Jul 4, 2015, 11:08 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
I'm confused by this cancel policy as well. The reservation I'm attempting to book is fully refundable (not-prepaid). And yet it contains this language:

Canceling your reservation before 6:00 PM (local hotel time) on Friday, 24 July, 2015 will result in no charge. Canceling your reservation after 6:00 PM (local hotel time) on 24 July, 2015, or failing to show, will result in a charge equal to the first night's stay per room to your credit card. Taxes may apply. Failing to call or show before check-out time after the first night of a reservation will result in cancellation of the remainder of your reservation.

*Cancellation policy for hotels in Germany: There will be a deduction from this charge for expenses saved by the hotel (generally 10% of the booking price).

Should I assume then that I will incur no fees whatsoever if I need to cancel? Terribly written imo.
Old Jul 4, 2015, 11:28 am
htb

Programs: UA*G(1K), PC Diamond Amb, Marriott Titanium, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by TravelinSperry
Should I assume then that I will incur no fees whatsoever if I need to cancel? Terribly written imo.
Depends on whether you cancel before or after the deadline. 10% less than nothing is still nothing, 10% less than one night's charge is 90% of one night's charge.

HTB.
Old Jul 9, 2019, 9:06 am

Programs: AA EP; WN CP;UA SILVER; MARRIOTT TITANIUM; HH DIAMOND; IHG PLAT; RADISSON PLAT; HYATT GLOBAL
Is this only for cash stays? I want to book a points stay, during peak rate dates. I don't want to pay 10% of BAR, which is a lot during my stay.
Old Jul 9, 2019, 10:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ORD-TGU
Is this only for cash stays? I want to book a points stay, during peak rate dates. I don't want to pay 10% of BAR, which is a lot during my stay.
Why wouldn't you cancel ahead of the cancellation deadline? Award stays are usually flexible.
Old Jul 12, 2019, 5:56 am

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by ORD-TGU
No you'd be paying 90% of BAR. Hotels need refund the 10% tax component obly, hotel keeps 90% of BAR

Award nights are flex (unless a special date / event date co-incides), though I think IHG added a 48hour cancel before to all award nights for 2019, so no more cancel until noon day before sy or similar dependent on each individual hotels canc policy

However - If you fail to cancel an award night before the canc deadline, then cancel/not-turnup
a)Hotel will refund points and instead charge you the cash rate for the room
b)If in Germany, then for a) above, then you should be due 10% of the room rate charged by converting award night as a refund.
Old Jul 12, 2019, 8:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
Originally Posted by scubaccr
No you'd be paying 90% of BAR. Hotels need refund the 10% tax component obly, hotel keeps 90% of BAR
This has nothing whatsoever to do with tax (and a 10% tax would even not exist in Germany). Hotel is entitled to 100%, needs however to consider savings made. German courts consider 10% of the rate for room only and 20% of the rate for B&B rates as adaequate.
craigthemif likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.