Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 14, 2015, 7:18 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
What points count towards status?

"Base points earned from Qualifying Rates paid for hotel stays, points collected from partner transactions, IHG® Rewards Club Bonus Points Packages and Meeting Rewards are considered Elite Qualifying Points and counted towards membership elite status."
  • The bonus points received for the credit card sign-up are nonqualifying towards status.
  • Points from credit card spend are qualifying points and will count toward a member's status qualification.
  • Bonus Point Packages are qualifying points and will count toward a member's status qualification.
  • Bonus points received through promos, including credit card offers, are nonqualifying points for status.

What activity resets the one-year point expiration clock (i.e., prevents points from expiring)?
  • Maintaining elite status (including via the credit card, if your card offers that benefit)
  • Any earning activity that increases your balance (including nonqualifying or bonus points), such as transfering points from programmes like e-rewards
  • Any redemption activity that decreases your balance (including an award booking that is subsequently canceled)
  • Being a dining rewards member
Print Wikipost

Change to IHG Rewards Club 2015

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2015, 2:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Originally Posted by MXM135
While speaking to the Front Desk staff at the IC Clement - Monterey (corporately managed property), they mentioned that the new status for IHG Rewards will be called 'Diamond'.

mxm135
Boring title - I was hoping IHG would be a bit more creative
Old May 29, 2015, 4:50 am

While speaking to the Front Desk staff at the IC Clement - Monterey (corporately managed property), they mentioned that the new status for IHG Rewards will be called 'Diamond'.

mxm135
I'll need to buy a new trailer for my giraffe. I wonder if I can use points to buy one
Old May 29, 2015, 5:30 am

Programs: VS Silver, Kris Silver, IC Amb, HH Gold, Hertz Gold

mxm135
I half expected it to be that, will still be interesting to see the announcement. Hopefully no one at the property gets in trouble.
Old May 29, 2015, 6:01 am

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 4.4.2; en-us; LGL31L/V100 Build/KOT49I.L31L10d) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Chrome/30.0.1599.103 Mobile Safari/537.36)

Originally Posted by MagicWok

mxm135
I half expected it to be that, will still be interesting to see the announcement. Hopefully no one at the property gets in trouble.
Hopefully the new status includes free or discounted membership to Ambassador.
Old May 30, 2015, 9:59 am

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
Originally Posted by vsevolod4
Diamond?
Titanium?
Kryptonite?
Black?
Platinum EXP?
Platinum 1K?
Praseodymium?
Double Platinum?
Tungsten?
Beryllium?
White Alba Truffle?
You forgot Platinum Premier. IHG's new PP status could offer just as many additional benefits over Platinum as MR's PP status does.
Old May 30, 2015, 11:57 am

Programs: IHG Spire Ambassador, Club Carlson Gold, HHonors Gold, Best Western Diamond Select, BA Blue
Given that Platinum is now much easier to attain, what's the point of it? Even Gold is easier, I believe. I really cannot see any tangible benefits of being Gold or Platinum after July. Pretty much everyone is going to Gold or Platinum.
Old May 31, 2015, 2:17 pm

Programs: VS Silver, Kris Silver, IC Amb, HH Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by rumbataz
Given that Platinum is now much easier to attain, what's the point of it? Even Gold is easier, I believe. I really cannot see any tangible benefits of being Gold or Platinum after July. Pretty much everyone is going to Gold or Platinum.
Well you kind of answered your own question
Old May 31, 2015, 4:21 pm
In memoriam

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, IHG Spire, UA Silver, Dennis The Menace Fan Club
IHG has always ran 2 programs, a paid-for scheme, "Ambassador" that gives stay benefits at their top hotels, and a free scheme, "Rewards" that provides points redeemable for free nights valid at all hotels.

IHG Rewards is about point accumulation leading to free nights. The entire scheme has to be seen in that light awarding a base 10 points per $ spent. IHG has now set the elite level criteria to pretty well reflect its principal giant competitors at Hilton and Marriott.

1. Gold......... 10% extra points. A 10 night pa giveaway level conferring little more than a title.

2. Platinum... 50% extra points. Mid-tier. Others give real benefits with mid tier. Plat will continue to be upgrades subject to availability and little else. Mind you it will retain its 50% points bonus, now the best-in-class for any mid-tier.

3. Diamond.. (OK, so I'm playing the name-the-top-tier game too). 100% extra points, again best-in-class, and 25k points on attainment.

This sticks with IHGs longstanding practice that it's reward program is about free stays via pointearning.

It is clear from past behaviour that IHG isn't convinced that in-stay benefits drive membership but if Diamond is to gain any benefits such as breakfast, parking, lounge access, guaranteed suites, etc, I would expect IHG to trial them during the next few months whilst the number of Diamonds are relatively few, ready to make final decisions in time for the promised reveal of benefits for Diamonds in 2016. In my opinion however IHG doubts the value of benefits in driving stay behaviour (other than at ICs) so unless any trials over the next few months provide radical results I would expect the new benefits announced for Diamonds in 2016 to be redemption linked, reduced-price redemption certs, 5 night for 4 redemptions etc, etc.

In other words the new levels very much match the competition and the newly minted diamonds may well see new promotional options on checkin over the Summer as a doubtful IHG trials possible in-stay benefits...

Last edited by BrightlyBob; Jun 1, 2015 at 7:08 am Reason: Readability
Old Jun 1, 2015, 1:03 pm

Programs: AY, SK, TK
Originally Posted by BrightlyBob
, I would expect IHG to trial them during the next few months whilst the number of Diamonds are relatively few, ready to make final decisions in time for the promised reveal of benefits for Diamonds in 2016. ...
Not a bad idea.
I would be interested to go for Diamond, but what I do not value that much is the 100% bonus as far it is only points bonus and not elite qualifying bonus
Old Jun 1, 2015, 1:16 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, TK Gold
Originally Posted by FFlash
Not a bad idea.
I would be interested to go for Diamond, but what I do not value that much is the 100% bonus as far it is only points bonus and not elite qualifying bonus
Once you have achieved the new highest status, what does it matter that the extra points are not qualifying points? There is nothing more to qualify toward.
Old Jun 1, 2015, 1:48 pm

Programs: AY, SK, TK
Originally Posted by MD/DC Flyer
Once you have achieved the new highest status, what does it matter that the extra points are not qualifying points? There is nothing more to qualify toward.
I qualify by points, not nights. Easier to re-qualify if quicker points accrual. IHG is not so good to have ALL my nights if you know what I mean
Old Jun 5, 2015, 10:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
As someone who pays out-of-pocket, and would otherwise need a slew of mattress runs to get to 75 nights, the 5000 point "upgrade" rate has been steadily racking up the qualifying points nicely.

However, I only select the ones that say, with a logo'ed banner, "For IHG members!"; I was burned on a hotel-specific breakfast rate last time instead of an IHG system code that would have been recognized (cust service said no dice when I asked for promo credit). I have a stay coming up where I could've selected a 10K package for only a few bucks more than 5K, but it was fairly clearly property-specific.

I think it was Hill Street Blues that admonished: "Be careful out there!"
Old Jun 7, 2015, 3:58 pm

Programs: AA EXP & 3MM, Priority Club Plat since 1984
Pretty much everyone is going to Gold or Platinum.
It's Yogi Berra who is attributed with saying, "No one goes there anymore, it's too crowded".
Old Jun 7, 2015, 11:10 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Tit; Hyatt Explorist; Hilton CC Gold; IHG CC Plt; Hertz (MR) 5 star
Originally Posted by darthbimmer
You forgot Platinum Premier. IHG's new PP status could offer just as many additional benefits over Platinum as MR's PP status does.
Hilarious!
Old Jun 10, 2015, 1:31 pm

Programs: IHG Plat, Marr Plat, Hilton Diamond, Flying Blue Ivory
New date for program launch?

News to me, but two of the IHG call centre staff told me today that the July launch of the new level is about to be put back to Jan 1. After talking to one of the Philippines team, I was put through to some guy in the US and I asked him whether or not it was true. He agreed and said, "this is the latest information I have."

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.