Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 14, 2015, 7:18 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
What points count towards status?

"Base points earned from Qualifying Rates paid for hotel stays, points collected from partner transactions, IHG® Rewards Club Bonus Points Packages and Meeting Rewards are considered Elite Qualifying Points and counted towards membership elite status."
  • The bonus points received for the credit card sign-up are nonqualifying towards status.
  • Points from credit card spend are qualifying points and will count toward a member's status qualification.
  • Bonus Point Packages are qualifying points and will count toward a member's status qualification.
  • Bonus points received through promos, including credit card offers, are nonqualifying points for status.

What activity resets the one-year point expiration clock (i.e., prevents points from expiring)?
  • Maintaining elite status (including via the credit card, if your card offers that benefit)
  • Any earning activity that increases your balance (including nonqualifying or bonus points), such as transfering points from programmes like e-rewards
  • Any redemption activity that decreases your balance (including an award booking that is subsequently canceled)
  • Being a dining rewards member
Print Wikipost

Change to IHG Rewards Club 2015

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14, 2015, 2:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by chrism20
What annoys me a bit is these changes take place halfway through a year. With little over sixty nights last year but circa 200k in elite points I would qualify for this year no problem.
Me too. I'm at 75 nights and over 100K points already and wouldn't mind some extra benefits between now and July. But these things take time.

However I think this new status level is going to be super easy to reach for people who stay mainly at IC's and the more expensive non-IC properties. You don't need anywhere near 75 nights to earn 75K points. I'm sure a lot of Europeans will get top level simply because the Euro or Pound is worth more than the US dollar and hotels here are generally more expensive. At 75K points this new level would still be the easiest to earn of any hotel chain, right? It's certainly easier to earn than RA. And SPG Platinum, etc. Heck you could earn this top status level just by booking one single night in a high end suite at some properties!

And I'm glad that IHG will be expiring points from people who do not care or participate, but I'll bet there are some there who would like to expire the accounts too. There's got to be millions of accounts that are dormant, but the marketing people will want to keep those alive.
Old Apr 14, 2015, 3:36 am

Originally Posted by stimpy
Me too. I'm at 75 nights and over 100K points already and wouldn't mind some extra benefits between now and July. But these things take time.

However I think this new status level is going to be super easy to reach for people who stay mainly at IC's and the more expensive non-IC properties. You don't need anywhere near 75 nights to earn 75K points. I'm sure a lot of Europeans will get top level simply because the Euro or Pound is worth more than the US dollar and hotels here are generally more expensive. At 75K points this new level would still be the easiest to earn of any hotel chain, right? It's certainly easier to earn than RA. And SPG Platinum, etc. Heck you could earn this top status level just by booking one single night in a high end suite at some properties!

And I'm glad that IHG will be expiring points from people who do not care or participate, but I'll bet there are some there who would like to expire the accounts too. There's got to be millions of accounts that are dormant, but the marketing people will want to keep those alive.
Oh I agree with what you are saying, it's not unobtainable by any means. I only spent two nights in an IC property last year and accrued three times the points required for platinum. And even then one was the CC free night and the other was a reward night.

My only complaint is the changing of the game halfway through the year. If the criteria was taken on a rolling year or pro-rata I would qualify no problem. At the moment unless I change plans I'd probably fall short by around 20k points if it is taken from January 1st to June 30th.

Again no complaints with the expiration of points most programmes do it and FAQs state they will even warn when it's going to happen. Without a doubt it will take a big liability off the balance sheet and in doing so it helps keep the points required for rewards nights down for the rest of us.
Old Apr 14, 2015, 3:39 am

Programs: UA Premier Gold (*G), IHG Platinum & Hyatt Discoverist
The most important news out of this is the maximum redemption per night remains at 50K for now.

Probably won't qualify for the new top tier myself but the 100% bonus is a big win for the earn/burn equation.

Anything else is a bonus really, though being able to use points for a Club/Suite upgrade would be nice.
Old Apr 14, 2015, 4:10 am

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Virgin Gold
Wonder if the rates with bonus points will count as elite qualifying. I'm not going to get anywhere near 75 nights this year and im fairly content with that. Hopefully they include free breakfast as one of the perks though
Old Apr 14, 2015, 4:11 am

Programs: IHG Spire Ambassador, Club Carlson Gold, HHonors Gold, Best Western Diamond Select, BA Blue
Love it! This is the way that a loyalty programme ought to be run: reward actual loyalty.
Old Apr 14, 2015, 4:19 am

Programs: IHG Spire Ambassador, Club Carlson Gold, HHonors Gold, Best Western Diamond Select, BA Blue
An observation and a question:

The IHG site says that everything you've earned so far since the start of 2015 will count towards the new criteria.

Now a question: for the top tier, is it 75K total points earned or 75K Elite Qualifying Points earned? Also, what will this new top membership level be called? (Apologies, that's two questions!).
Old Apr 14, 2015, 4:21 am

So this year I already have
Elite Qualifying Points Earned: 79,761 of 60,000 points for Platinum Elite

Hopefully this will allow me to get the top tier membership!
Old Apr 14, 2015, 4:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
I think the perks for IHG Plat is weak compared to Marriott - especially no perks on point stays. The best thing for IHG is PB, I don't think I'll stay with IHG if there is no more PB. I'm ok with the point expiry as long as we can move points from e-rewards.
Old Apr 14, 2015, 4:34 am
Suspended

Thanks TW66 for the salient point analysis.

I certainly hope that IHG Steve and his compatriots provide additional answers and information in the coming days, such as a list of those hotels that will be affected by the re-categorization.

In addition, IHG Steve:

Inasmuch as IHG Care maintains a fairly robust presence on this board, helping out colleagues often need of clarification, would it be too much of you to ask whether you could in the future supply us with a copy of an advance notice list of PointBreak hotels like you do with certain bloggers?

After all, the good will that would be generated by such a gesture would be enormous and it is not like we are asking for an earlier preview of what you disclose to those bloggers, just a listing at the same time as you release the advance list to them.

Thanx!
Old Apr 14, 2015, 4:49 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Bluebirdie
You may not be interested in my response, but here goes.

Some CC companyies may excluse some charges from earning points. Thus CC purchases are not entirely the same condition as points earnt from CC purchasess. But that's not very important i guess. Just languages...

Will points expire for IHG® Rewards Club credit card holders?

IHG® Rewards Club credit card holders are subject to the same policy as all IHG® Rewards Club members. Please note, all points that you earn from spend on your IHG® Rewards Club credit card will extend your point expiration period.

Also, if your IHG® Rewards Club credit card benefits include IHG® Rewards Club Gold or Platinum status, then your points won't expire as long as you continue to be an IHG® Rewards Club credit card holder.
http://www.ihg.com/hotels/us/en/glob...copper_4.13.15
Old Apr 14, 2015, 7:52 am

Programs: UA 1K, DL Gold, IHG Diamond AMB, MR Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, National EE
Originally Posted by rumbataz
Now a question: for the top tier, is it 75K total points earned or 75K Elite Qualifying Points earned? Also, what will this new top membership level be called? (Apologies, that's two questions!).
It's 75K Elite Qualifying Points earned. Non-qualifying points, like those earned from a promotion, will not count towards obtaining status. And the new status hasn't been named yet.

Originally Posted by Oliveredmunds
So this year I already have
Elite Qualifying Points Earned: 79,761 of 60,000 points for Platinum Elite

Hopefully this will allow me to get the top tier membership!
Yes it will. On July 1st you will have the new status. There seems to be some confusion about the timing of the whole thing. If at any point in 2015, you have earned 75k qualifying points, or stayed 75 nights, you will earn the new status. You do not have to do all of this before July 1st (unless of course you want to be one of the first people to have the status when it becomes active)
Old Apr 14, 2015, 7:58 am

Programs: UA 1K, DL Gold, IHG Diamond AMB, MR Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, National EE
Originally Posted by snevillio
Wonder if the rates with bonus points will count as elite qualifying.
Yes, according to the program T&C, bonus point packages will count as elite qualifying.
Old Apr 14, 2015, 8:15 am

So if we achieve the new 'Club' status this year (at any point during 2015) by staying 75 nights or earning 75,000 Elite Qualifying Points, do we maintain that status throughout the whole of 2016?
Old Apr 14, 2015, 8:21 am

Originally Posted by rumbataz
So if we achieve the new 'Club' status this year (at any point during 2015) by staying 75 nights or earning 75,000 Elite Qualifying Points, do we maintain that status throughout the whole of 2016?
I'm not sure I'd use the word "Club" because that will be confused with the free non-elite membership.

But yes, if you qualify for the new tier status, you will maintain it throughout the entirety of 2016.
Old Apr 14, 2015, 8:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
If you hosted a party or a wedding and charged it to your room and it exceeded $7500, then you would have this top status through the year and following year. Right? This new top status level seems far too easy. Why establish a new super "top" level and make it the easiest in the industry? If the benefits aren't significantly better then this is a giant waste of time, speaking for myself.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.