Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > InterContinental Hotels | IHG One Rewards and Intercontinental Ambassador
Reload this Page >

Please post your Royal Ambassador experiences (Archive Thread 2013)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Please post your Royal Ambassador experiences (Archive Thread 2013)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3, 2013, 1:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Thanks for the Westminster review Nicolas and Happy Birthday!

I'll be there soon. Looking forward to it.
Old Feb 4, 2013, 12:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Chinatrvl
Staying next week for 650 CNY/night.... Chunjie is a good season for bargain hotel rooms.
Ritz Pudong is just 145 Euro with breakfast.
Originally Posted by johhenrik
Yeah it was cheap and no, no corp rate. They released even cheaper rates after my arrival, so I think I could've gotten it cheaper if I wanted to. My experience is that you can get pretty good deals on both flights and hotels around Chinese New Year.
Gosh, my timing must be bad. Last time I was here it was 1000+ RMB/night.
Old Feb 4, 2013, 1:06 am

Programs: IHG, RC, HH, AA, QF, UA, Aeroplan
Staying next week for 650 CNY/night.... Chunjie is a good season for bargain hotel rooms.

that reference to 650rmb next week, which IC property, Pudong, Expo or Puxi? and was that for the Chinese New Year and 5 Day Sale at 50% Off?
Old Feb 4, 2013, 1:19 am

the lowest i can find for Expo with the 50% Off Sale, book 2 days in advance for a long term stay is 893.71 rmb ? where did you get 650? i've got a current 61 night stay and i'd be most interested, it would be helpful with negotiation with the hotel. TIA
Old Feb 4, 2013, 3:29 am

Programs: LH SEN, BA Gold, Bonvoy Plat, IHG Spire RA
Originally Posted by Tim O'Brien
the lowest i can find for Expo with the 50% Off Sale, book 2 days in advance for a long term stay is 893.71 rmb ? where did you get 650? i've got a current 61 night stay and i'd be most interested, it would be helpful with negotiation with the hotel. TIA
I understood that he used a corp rate
Old Feb 4, 2013, 4:31 am

Programs: Spire RA, 1865 Voyager, Bonvoy Titanium, FB LP, LH SEN.
that reference to 650rmb next week, which IC property, Pudong, Expo or Puxi? and was that for the Chinese New Year and 5 Day Sale at 50% Off?
At Expo, however, Pudong is slightly more expensive (704 CNY).
It is still available, staying Feb 14-16, superior room. 650 CNY + tax. Book advance rate, not prepaid, flexible.
These low rates will probably only be available around Chunjie; I reckon until weekend Feb 23/24 the latest. - So the 800 something rate may as well be an average room rate with some more expensive days.

On a sidenote, a 800 CNY rate for a long, uninterrupted stay is pretty decent in Shanghai, in my experience. I assume they throw in club access and even suite as long-term RA. Now, I also think, we have briefly met in the club lounge...

Originally Posted by boekel
I understood that he used a corp rate
No, I don't have access to corp rates.

Last edited by Chinatrvl; Feb 4, 2013 at 4:45 am
Old Feb 4, 2013, 7:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

IC Miami (downtown)

Were you (or for multi-stayers are you generally) happy with the hotel/stay?
Yes

Which room did you book and which upgrade did you receive?
Booked cheapest standard and upgraded to IC suite with club access.

How are the rooms?
Separate bedroom and living room with large entryway and 1.5 baths. Generally nice and comfortable, but for having recently been renovated it didn't "wow" me.

Minibar was decent. The bottle of white in the refrigerator was open and mostly empty. Everything consumed was replaced the next day.

Housekeeping came one day at 5PM, which was inconvenient.

How is the exec. lounge?
OK. Breakfast was basic but did the trick; happy hour hot food was not that great.

What was good and what was bad?
Good stay overall. The gym was a good size and had plenty of equipment. The pool area was nice.

When the plug for the iron blew up a new iron was furnished within five minutes; management called shortly thereafter to follow up.

Both bathrooms had doors to connect them to adjoining rooms. They don't provide any sound insulation - you can hear someone brushing their teeth in the next bathroom. And they really did nothing for the partying and singing/shouting that started next door at 3AM, but closing the bathroom and bedroom doors solved that problem. The doors also don't seal very well, you can see light under them and when the guy next door was smoking at 5AM my bathroom smelled like an ashtray. (Reported shortly thereafter at checkout; the agent said they would investigate and charge the guest; it's a non-smoking hotel.)

The hotel has a strange lightshow on the building that you can see from very far away - a woman doing a skanky dance. Not sure how that comports with the IC brand or clientele. Wasn't just us - a cab driver asked what was going on too.

The hotel is well located for downtown things and right on the free Metromover train; cabs to South Beach are about $17 (traffic depending), but be aware that some drivers will try to longhaul you by taking 95, which takes you well out of the way, adding extra time and another $10 to your ride. Tell drivers to take Biscayne. Had one do it before I knew any better; the second driver who tried it was pretty contrite as soon as I caught him and told him to take Biscayne. The hotel should warn guests.

Value for $ or Priority Club Points? Would you return?
Yes
Old Feb 4, 2013, 8:25 am

the upgrade is decent to the 28th floor, one room category under presidential, have just found that 650 rate for those dates, i was puting in from Feb 7 because it said it required two days in advance till March 27 as it stated finished March 28, i appreciate the info, we had a six week stay in Nov/Dec and current is 2 months and seven months last year consecutive stay at the Puxi, you'd hope you were getting the right rate, yes includes club and meals outside of the club, Expo seems to be competing with Pudong, i've noticed for a while lower rates. I don't think we've met. i'll check that up to Feb 23. we had 270 nights last year, i've dropped an email this morning to a contact at IHG corporate in the UK to see if they'll arrange a corporate or quasi corporate, i had contact a few yrs ago and was told we were too small for that. got a rate of 693 rmb from 7-24th

At Expo, however, Pudong is slightly more expensive (704 CNY).
It is still available, staying Feb 14-16, superior room. 650 CNY + tax. Book advance rate, not prepaid, flexible.
These low rates will probably only be available around Chunjie; I reckon until weekend Feb 23/24 the latest. - So the 800 something rate may as well be an average room rate with some more expensive days.

On a sidenote, a 800 CNY rate for a long, uninterrupted stay is pretty decent in Shanghai, in my experience. I assume they throw in club access and even suite as long-term RA. Now, I also think, we have briefly met in the club lounge...

No, I don't have access to corp rates.

Last edited by Tim O'Brien; Feb 4, 2013 at 8:44 am
Old Feb 4, 2013, 8:48 am

Programs: Spire RA, 1865 Voyager, Bonvoy Titanium, FB LP, LH SEN.
the upgrade is decent to the 28th floor, one room category under presidential, have just found that 650 rate for those dates, i was puting in from Feb 7 because it said it required two days in advance till March 27 as it stated finished March 28, i appreciate the info, we had a six week stay in Nov/Dec and current is 2 months and seven months last year consecutive stay at the Puxi, you'd hope you were getting the right rate, yes includes club and meals outside of the club, Expo seems to be competing with Pudong, i've noticed for a while lower rates. I don't think we've met. i'll check that up to Feb 23. we had 270 nights last year, i've dropped an email this morning to a contact at IHG corporate in the UK to see if they'll arrange a corporate or quasi corporate, i had contact a few yrs ago and was told we were too small for that.
Sounds like a pretty decent long stay package. I find food at this property to be above average for a hotel, especially the Italian and Chinese restaurant - so this a certainly good deal. Expo seems to sell out with events quite often, particuarly during the warmer months. Pudong has a lot of regulars - I stayed there around April-July.
Local corporate rates in China require 300 nights/year. Wonder what IHG corp replies, though.

I mostly stayed before November with just a dozend or so days after that. Would guess female lawyer and you, you have something to do with computers, right? (In Nov, after a longer absence from the hotel, some long stayers took my table at the club lounge... )

Off topic, sorry.
Old Feb 4, 2013, 10:39 am

you're right, you did meet my wife but the computer guy (an Aussie also) wasn't me, a hotel IT consultant

Sounds like a pretty decent long stay package. I find food at this property to be above average for a hotel, especially the Italian and Chinese restaurant - so this a certainly good deal. Expo seems to sell out with events quite often, particuarly during the warmer months. Pudong has a lot of regulars - I stayed there around April-July.
Local corporate rates in China require 300 nights/year. Wonder what IHG corp replies, though.

I mostly stayed before November with just a dozend or so days after that. Would guess female lawyer and you, you have something to do with computers, right? (In Nov, after a longer absence from the hotel, some long stayers took my table at the club lounge... )

Off topic, sorry.
Old Feb 5, 2013, 2:58 am

Programs: Star Alliance, Velocity Rewards, Dividend Miles, Priority Club RA
Yes Australia is expensive

Originally Posted by Unterwegs
InterContinental Melbourne The Rialto

What is your Priority Club status?
Platinum Royal Ambassador

(...)
Value for $ or Priority Club Points?
Australia is expensive

Would you return?
If i can get a nicer room and the rate is reasonable yes, otherwise no
Yes Australia is expensive...I stay at this hotel regularly and would think that they would remember the room I would like but... And I am just back from a trip in the USA where I got the IC Chicago for $179 a night for a suite and wait...a $100 Macy's gift card for every night I stayed making the suite $79 a night for a suite on Miracle Mile (the most $$$ strip in Chicago).

At IC Melbourne I find you just really have to push staff to give you what you should get as an RA - early access, 4pm check out, a proper upgrade and/or access to the Club (which is worth it)...just don't expect to get it if you try and book the cheapest room.^

Last edited by FLYGVA; Feb 5, 2013 at 7:44 am Reason: no need to quote everything
Old Feb 5, 2013, 3:15 am

IC Chicago Magnificent Mile

Amazing stay - the best we have ever had
- Which room did you book and which upgrade did you receive?
Booked the special - $179 pr night with a $100 Macy's gift card as a gift each night we stayed. Think for this we originally booked a 2 double deluxe room. Ended up with a 1 bedroom suite with 2 bathrooms and must have originally been 2 hotel rooms it was that big.
- How are the rooms?
Our 1 bedroom suite was perfect. Make sure you stay in the Historic Tower.
- How is the exec. lounge?
None - so sad but they do have the best indoor pool ever. This used to be the Chicago Men's Athletic Club and they must have kept the pool - look for photos it is too beautiful for words.
- What was good and what was bad?
Bad - the stupid Starbucks attached to the IC Chicago - takes the hotel down a major notch as Starbucks and the service there is so woeful. Go across the road to the Corner Bakery which is wonderful and very yummy.
Bad - IC Chicago ran out of champagne or sparkling wine on New Years Eve and did not refresh the mini bar - had to ask and ask to get this done which was very irritating.
Good - great room, great room, lovely staff.
Good - ask for suggestions to eat from the Concierge and they may give you deals. Got one For Gino's East (Chicago spinach pizza is a must) and we got to jump the queue (1.5 hours...worth it).

Arrival Gift
Some basic fruit and water...not much as it didn't make an impact.

- Value for $ or Priority Club Points? Would you return?
Absolutely would return as amazing value...actually stayed for another 3 nights we had so much fun.
Anything else?
Do not miss The Art Instititute - the most amazing Impressionist and Medieval Collection outside of Europe. WOuld recommend 2 day visit.
DO NOT miss The Field Museum - the biggest complete T Rex skeleton ever found, the most amazing Ancient Egypt exhibit....just make sure you miss the exhibit about Biology which is a taxidermists (and not ours) dream!
Hop on Hop off bus great for tourists and will get you around to all the major sights and places to visit.
Check out all the cool conference/wedding rooms at the IC - all themed and lots of Art Deco.

Last edited by FLYGVA; Feb 6, 2013 at 8:12 am Reason: It isd Magnificent, not Miracle
Old Feb 5, 2013, 3:17 am

IC Sanctuary Cove

Originally Posted by JKjnr202
What is your Priority Club status?
Platinum RA

(...)

Would you return?
Yes
Good to read...we are staying there is March and we were hoping the pool was awesome.

Last edited by FLYGVA; Feb 5, 2013 at 7:45 am Reason: no need to quote everything
Old Feb 6, 2013, 10:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Willard Washington D.C.

Were you (or for multi-stayers are you generally) happy with the hotel/stay,
Yes, wonderful hotel

Which room did you book and which upgrade did you receive?
Booked standard with FHR, received huge Executive Suite. They tried to upsell me to the Lincoln suite, but I declined. The rack rate for my suite is $2799. FHR includes free full breakfast in restaurant or in the room, plus $100 F&B credit. The rest of the FHR bennies are no better than what I already get as RA.

How was the room?
Very large entry way, small kitchen, large parlour with elegant furniture. Large bedroom. Two bathrooms, two TV’s, two mini-bars.

How is the mini-bar
Pretty nice with Moet & Chandon, good (for the US) red and white, plenty of booze, beer, soft drinks, juice and Red Bull. Both mini-bars serviced daily.

Did you receive a welcome gift?
Nice bottle of Chilean Red, large bottle of water and a fruit bowl.

How were the TV’s?
Normally I never even turn on a TV at a hotel, but my stay included Sunday's Super Bowl, so I have a few comments. First of all, the size of the LG TV's seemed rather small to go with such a huge suite. They probably would have looked OK in a normal room, but they should place larger TV's in the large suites. Secondly, the signal is analog and of rather poor quality on some channels. Unfortunately one of those channels was CBS which carried the big game. I called an engineer and he gave two excuses. One was the weather and the other was the height of the White House. Neither made sense to me as it wasn't raining and the White House is north-west of the hotel and not any higher than the hotel I don't think.

How was F&B?
Several D.C. power breakfasts going on during my stay. We were lucky to get a table one of the days. Service was quite good. Food at breakfast was fine, but not great. Room service food was pretty good.

What was good and what was bad?
Good:
Great upgrade
Historic and interesting hotel
Fun bar (Round Robin)
Nice fitness center with steam and sauna in locker room.
Reduced limo cost for RA's - $95 to IAD.

Bad:
Bit of a struggle with the bill at checkout. It was finally settled correctly with an apology, but you have to be careful.
TV quality

Value for $ or Priority Club Points? Would you return?
Yes. It’s a pricey hotel, but RA combined with FHR is an fabulous value. And the location is excellent as I was able to walk everywhere I wanted to go.
Old Feb 8, 2013, 12:49 pm

Originally Posted by lilactara
Amazing stay - the best we have ever had
(...)
Had a similar experience, was at the hotel recently for work. I got upgraded to a two bedroom suite, great experience. I loved the location had dinner and lunch at Michael Jordan's, great food. Meeting rooms were also great, enjoyed the comp starbucks coupon i got.

Last edited by FLYGVA; Feb 9, 2013 at 7:46 am Reason: quote shortened

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.