Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2015 Pointbreaks discussion

Search this Thread

Old May 22, 2015, 6:35 am

I agree - this is a pretty slim pickins list!

Once again, I have made a map with all 145 hotels (though I see that the IHG blog has stolen my idea and included a map in their post too ). I'm including it here in case anyone finds it useful.

http://www.pointswithacrew.com/map-o...and-july-2015/

Not to be outdone by IHG, I've also included a sortable table (same link) that you can use to more easily see what hotels are available.

Though as most people upthread have mentioned, there's not a ton out there. I have family in Houston and was somewhat interested in the Staybridge Suites that's on the list, but then I remembered that we're talking about June and July so.... not the best time to visit Houston :-D
Old May 22, 2015, 6:37 am

Originally Posted by Tex0322
What is the rule for number of PB reservations you can book? Can I book 4 different nights at 4 different hotels? Seems like I saw something about not being able to book more than a certain number but I think it was at the same hotel.
My understanding was that you could only book 2 reservations (per account). But I'm not sure how or if that's enforced or not
Old May 22, 2015, 6:45 am
Moderator, Hertz; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1MM, BA GGL, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond and others
Originally Posted by regoarrarr
My understanding was that you could only book 2 reservations (per account). But I'm not sure how or if that's enforced or not
I thought it was 2 reservations per hotel..
Old May 22, 2015, 7:04 am

Programs: IC Ambassador, IHG Diamond, Club Carlson Gold, Miles & More FT
What is the rule for number of PB reservations you can book? Can I book 4 different nights at 4 different hotels? Seems like I saw something about not being able to book more than a certain number but I think it was at the same hotel.
2 separate booking per hotel.

Originally Posted by jason8612
I thought it was 2 reservations per hotel..
Thanks to both of you for the response. I am hoping this reply is correct.
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Although not really enforced, that I'm aware of, it's 2 different reservations at one property. You can book 10 different properties and they shouldn't care.
Old May 22, 2015, 7:08 am

Thanks everyone. Taking a trip in June and there are three properties that I hopefully can book.
Old May 22, 2015, 7:52 am

I agree - this is a pretty slim pickins list!

Once again, I have made a map with all 145 hotels (though I see that the IHG blog has stolen my idea and included a map in their post too ). I'm including it here in case anyone finds it useful.

http://www.pointswithacrew.com/map-o...and-july-2015/

Not to be outdone by IHG, I've also included a sortable table (same link) that you can use to more easily see what hotels are available.

Though as most people upthread have mentioned, there's not a ton out there. I have family in Houston and was somewhat interested in the Staybridge Suites that's on the list, but then I remembered that we're talking about June and July so.... not the best time to visit Houston :-D
Looks like one is left off your map. Lamar, Colorado Holiday Inn Express
Old May 22, 2015, 7:52 am

Programs: Delta SM, ICH PLAT
In my poor memory, it seems that every time the list is posted, a bunch of people complain the list is poor, short, slim. What are you basing your comments on?

They way I see it, if the PB pop up on my upcoming travel locations, great. However, I am not happy or unhappy if there isn't an IC at every major city in EU going on PB. In fact, if there is a flood of PB, I can see a bunch of other people complaining about the dilution of the IC/CP brand because there are too many cheapskates crowding their upscale hotels.

I scanned through the new list and saw a healthy number of USA locations. Unfortunately, none close to where I'll be in July (Yellowstone/Glacier National Park), but lots of decent locations for road trippers.

Interestingly, extremely short list for China. I am guessing the China hotels are getting some very bad experience 'excessive popularity'...

I remember one time, long long ago, someone actually compiled the number of HI, IC, CP that went on PB. It would be nice if someone can do that again.
Old May 22, 2015, 8:54 am

Thanks - I see that I missed that (and I see why as well). I've updated it in the sortable table in my post but will have to update the map tonight as Google Maps is currently blocked where I'm at
Old May 22, 2015, 8:56 am

Originally Posted by chunky649
In my poor memory, it seems that every time the list is posted, a bunch of people complain the list is poor, short, slim. What are you basing your comments on?

They way I see it, if the PB pop up on my upcoming travel locations, great. However, I am not happy or unhappy if there isn't an IC at every major city in EU going on PB. In fact, if there is a flood of PB, I can see a bunch of other people complaining about the dilution of the IC/CP brand because there are too many cheapskates crowding their upscale hotels.

I scanned through the new list and saw a healthy number of USA locations. Unfortunately, none close to where I'll be in July (Yellowstone/Glacier National Park), but lots of decent locations for road trippers.

Interestingly, extremely short list for China. I am guessing the China hotels are getting some very bad experience 'excessive popularity'...

I remember one time, long long ago, someone actually compiled the number of HI, IC, CP that went on PB. It would be nice if someone can do that again.
I think people (myself included) just like to complain :-D. If I had to pinpoint a reason in this particular case it's the lack of Intercontinentals. Personally, I'm more of a fan of the so-called "budget" hotels, especially Staybridge Suites which give free dinner in addition to free breakfast.
Old May 22, 2015, 9:07 am

Programs: Priority Club, TAM Fidelidade, BAEC, Marriott Rewards
The list is slim and poor comparing to the beginnings of PointBreaks (when the economy was in a different state). It's been more or less the same the last couple of years, so I don't expect anything more exciting.
Even a HIX in the middle of nowhere can be useful, if you happen to be there.
Old May 22, 2015, 9:23 am

Programs: UA 1P, Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by chunky649

Summer is an extremely popular period for travel in China, due to school vacation (Jun-Aug). Imaging several millions of families are trying to book hotels during this time
Old May 22, 2015, 9:57 am

Programs: Delta SM, ICH PLAT
Originally Posted by mediator
Summer is an extremely popular period for travel in China, due to school vacation (Jun-Aug). Imaging several millions of families are trying to book hotels during this time
Not sure this is true (or any truer than other countries). China has 2 or 3 BIG holiday periods (May 1, and national day. Lunar new year is heaviest travel period, but people generally go home to family, not to hotels). The relative number of Chinese PB properties relative to other countries this round is significantly lower than previous rounds, including past summers. I think it is either ICH hotels in China are getting a lot busier (a good thing), or, collectively, they got smart from previous experience with PB and declined to join. Looking at NA list, I don't see a lot of repeat appearances either.
Old May 22, 2015, 11:03 am

Point Breaks availability

I tried searching for the answer to this question but couldn't find it, so I apologize in advance if this has been addressed.

With the release of the next round of the PB hotels (e.g. on 5/26/15), will any more rooms open up for available award stays at these hotels? Or is the answer 'no', that the points requirement simply decreases to 5,000 points for these hotels?

The reason I ask, is that one particular hotel which I'm looking at seems to have very little (if any) award stay availability through 7/31/15 even at its current points requirement (20k). So will any more availability open up on Tuesday morning? I'm thinking "no", but would like to confirm this. Thanks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.