Wiki Posts
Search

BOGO capacity controls

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1, 2014, 1:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL GM and so on
BOGO capacity controls

Do hotels really not get any compensation from IHG for Ambassador certificates?

For the second time in a month I'm trying to book a BOGO rate and see no availability. First it was Le Grand in Paris, now IC Melbourne. Reward nights were/are readily available. So it seems BOGO usage is more heavily restricted than free nights.
Old Dec 1, 2014, 2:30 am

Programs: IHG Plat Amb, Accor Plat, Hilton HHonors Gold, Best Western Diamond, Club Carlson Gold, GHA Black
you may try to email the hotel, During my previous BOGO stay, it is deemed unavailable online, after emailing the hotel, they manage to book my stay under BOGOF/Ambassador Weekend Certificate.
Old Dec 1, 2014, 5:23 am
Original Poster

They nicely washed their hands:

Unfortunately we do not have access to Ambassador program rates...
...we do not have access to information as to whether or not it is available on any particular date.
Old Dec 1, 2014, 11:07 am

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by paulmoscow
Do hotels really not get any compensation from IHG for Ambassador certificates?

For the second time in a month I'm trying to book a BOGO rate and see no availability. First it was Le Grand in Paris, now IC Melbourne. Reward nights were/are readily available. So it seems BOGO usage is more heavily restricted than free nights.
Bogo nights do not come out of the 5percent of rom total award night allocation.

unfortunately just because flex nights still bookable for both first&second night does not mean bogo is available to book

Seems likely ihg corporate pays hotels some monies for free second nights based on anecdotal evidence
Old Dec 1, 2014, 1:08 pm
Original Poster

Then what's the point of a loyalty program where you can't use your voucher even in low season?
Old Dec 2, 2014, 2:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF/KLM Club 2000 | InterContinental Diamond RA |AMEX Plat | Visa Infinite |Hertz President's Circle
Then what's the point of a loyalty program where you can't use your voucher even in low season?
Can you book two nights without BOGO during the same period?
Old Dec 2, 2014, 3:00 am

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
I have seen something similar at a few ICs at times. for example, IC Bali sometimes only showed a high end suite for AMB FWNC bookings even though for normal rate (advance / best flex) all room categories were available.

Usually I tried a few days or so later again and the problem was gone and all showed up. Not sure on the root cause, but worst case try to call AMB services and ask them to make a reservation at the certificate rate and see what they offer in regards to rooms / categories.
Old Dec 2, 2014, 4:44 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nicolas75
Can you book two nights without BOGO during the same period?
Yes, all kinds of rooms are available. I'm monitoring the IC Melbourne, today they did actually lower their rates for the dates in question, but BOGO usage is still blocked.
Old Dec 2, 2014, 4:50 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by demue
worst case try to call AMB services and ask them to make a reservation at the certificate rate
I dropped them email yesterday with no reply so far.

For comparison: about half day later I contacted Delta about some missing Air France miles. They have already verified everything and credited these miles earlier today.
Old Dec 3, 2014, 2:28 am
Original Poster

The Ambassador service centre has finally responded:

Please note that the Ambassador Weekend Rate is not available on your preferred date. We apologize for any disappointment this has caused.
Old Dec 3, 2014, 5:34 pm

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
Yes, all kinds of rooms are available. I'm monitoring the IC Melbourne, today they did actually lower their rates for the dates in question, but BOGO usage is still blocked.

Wrong terminology.

BOGO night is not being blocked

BOGO is simply unavailable because other Ambassador's have booked the hotel's available BOGO allocation for that pair of nights earlier.

This is no different than when Award nights are unavailable despite entry level rooms still being available on both Advance+Flex rates.

I have seen same hotel with sometimes BOGO available for weekend the day before a weekend, at other times not available 3months out for more popular weekends.
Old Dec 3, 2014, 9:00 pm

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
So you are basically saying that BOGO/FWNC nights are also capacity controlled? Meaning the hotel only publishes a certain number of rooms at AMB Certificate rates and when scooped up one is out of luck?

Never occurred to me quite like that, but then I always managed to get the FWNC rate eventually (after checking back every few days). That pretty much stinks, but I guess one shouldn't be surprised with IHG. I find it quite silly to make that restriction of rooms at Best Flex rate are available.

They already watered down the FWNC benefit when requiring that silly AMB Certificate rate which usually is the same or sometimes even higher than Best Flex. Restricting bookings at that inflated rate (even when 2nd night is free) is ridiculous. Oh well ...
Old Dec 3, 2014, 11:03 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by demue
Meaning the hotel only publishes a certain number of rooms at AMB Certificate rates and when scooped up one is out of luck?
The hotel says they have nothing to do with it, the rate and its quotas are controlled by IHG.

There's also one more restriction with the new style BOGO: it' not applicable for suites.
Old Dec 4, 2014, 12:38 am

The hotel says they have nothing to do with it, the rate and its quotas are controlled by IHG.

There's also one more restriction with the new style BOGO: it' not applicable for suites.
Interesting. So it is IHG corporate then? Oh well.

As far as the suites part goes it is an interesting one. Yes I also know of the restriction, but some hotels do publish Suites at AMB certificate rates. For example, I made a booking at AMB cert rate at IC Bali for next year for a Club Uluwatu Suite and my booking has been modified by the hotel with the one night rate now having been split over 2 nights (basically halved) so that the total stay cost is the same like one night charge and the booking was also upgraded to a Club Jimbaran Suite (1-category upgrade for AMB).

So I guess in this case the hotel accepts the FWNC also for a suite booking. I will follow up again with them prior to the stay to be safe, but am wondering if anyone has any experiences (successes) with FWNC and suite bookings?
Old Dec 12, 2014, 4:56 am
Original Poster

I decided to drop my Ambassador status, because I don't routinely stay at IHG hotels now. I have been spending my points during high-demand periods like New Year in NYC and last year used my BOGO certificate with no problem whatsoever.

With the new restrictions I have little reason to be Ambassador.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.