Wiki Posts
Search

Ending of Royal Ambassador??

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2014, 8:42 am
uk1
Suspended

Originally Posted by hdogan
I for one would be the first to leave. For most of my stays, I don't *choose* to travel, and my company won't reimburse any membership fees. Sure, I like the perks, but frankly, they seem to be more consistent (especially at non-IC properties) with other chains.

What you are suggesting is not a *loyalty* program (the chain rewarding its most frequent customers), but just a subscription to benefits, similar to what UA has for E+. The only incentive for me to book IC/IHG hotels then would be to a) first invest in the relationship, and b) take care to get the most out of my money. Works perfectly if most of my stays are leisure stays. No need to try hard to achieve a (potentially imaginary) target, and I can clearly calculate how profitable my investment is.

It may seem silly, but a stupid gift or a knick-knack is what (falsely) makes it feel a little more personal in the whole relationship between myself and a huge international hotel chain. It's what pushes me to book IC/IHG vs. Hilton vs. SPG vs. Hyatt. Sure, I would probably get the same if I had top-tier status at any of the others, but I don't. And take away my knick-knack, and you're just making me go look for it at one of them.
I understand and accept that perspective. But the current programme isn't a loyalty programme either.

I spend more than a great many who currently receive RA benefits. I am therefore more "loyal" than they are. I have zero qualifying nights for RA. That seems dumb for both ICHG and to me. RA benefits are being purchased in some way or other. The debate is "how". No one has ever stated or " boasted" yet ( as far as I can recall) how little they have spent in personally qualifying to gain RA and what they quantify the benefits and freebies they received as being worth. It takes a chunk of HIEX and others and a very few IC nights to give extraordinary benefits in all - but particularly IC - doesn't it? We don't know 'cos they ain't sayin'!

Perhaps the programme should accommodate both by simply recognising solely how much a customer spends annually .... which was in fact my starting point. Just plain revenue. No more - no less. Perhaps one night in a $30k suite or 200 nights in $150 rooms in any part of the chain - sort of principle. Simplicity!

Last edited by uk1; Aug 10, 2014 at 9:31 am
Old Aug 10, 2014, 12:53 pm

Programs: 100m swimming certificate level 5
Originally Posted by uk1
I understand and accept that perspective. But the current programme isn't a loyalty programme either.

I spend more than a great many who currently receive RA benefits. I am therefore more "loyal" than they are. I have zero qualifying nights for RA. That seems dumb for both ICHG and to me. RA benefits are being purchased in some way or other. The debate is "how". No one has ever stated or " boasted" yet ( as far as I can recall) how little they have spent in personally qualifying to gain RA and what they quantify the benefits and freebies they received as being worth. It takes a chunk of HIEX and others and a very few IC nights to give extraordinary benefits in all - but particularly IC - doesn't it? We don't know 'cos they ain't sayin'!

Perhaps the programme should accommodate both by simply recognising solely how much a customer spends annually .... which was in fact my starting point. Just plain revenue. No more - no less. Perhaps one night in a $30k suite or 200 nights in $150 rooms in any part of the chain - sort of principle. Simplicity!

How come your nights do not qualify?
Old Aug 10, 2014, 1:03 pm
uk1
Suspended

Originally Posted by mitpat474
How come your nights do not qualify?
All of them are friends and family.
Old Aug 10, 2014, 4:14 pm

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by uk1

Your spend is irrelevant as you never pay for a qualifying rate to stay. Ok that works well if one is a regular at an IC, one can usually get everything RA does with exception of the free mini-bar as a regular repeat stayer.

I think IHG should up IC nights we all currently believe required from 20 to 30, that would reduce a few RAs .

My one issue is IC stays in London, Paris, Amsterdam cost me 3-4x nightly rate than a whole bunch of cheaper cities. As such my 30 European nights can easily buy 60-100+ nights in some USA, Asian, Chinese countries.

Maybe the cheaper IC's should only count as 0.5 qual nights to even things up ?
Old Aug 11, 2014, 8:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF/KLM Club 2000 | InterContinental Diamond RA |AMEX Plat | Visa Infinite |Hertz President's Circle
I would be very sad if Royal Ambassador may end, as it is my major reason why I am very loyal to IHG.

I love the idea that very loyal customers get exceptional benefits. I love checking-in in the morning without any issue. I love staying around the world and always been very well welcomed. I love club lounges to have a quiet moment. And I love of course very nice suites.

I love having my little problems solved quickly and efficiently through the Ambassador line.

I know that ICs can be in some towns not the trendiest/cheapest option, but still I am always very happy to see the IC logo when arriving in a city by taxi, because I know I will have again a great stay.
Old Aug 11, 2014, 8:04 am

Programs: IHG Royal Ambassador
Originally Posted by nicolas75
I would be very sad if Royal Ambassador may end, as it is my major reason why I am very loyal to IHG.

I love the idea that very loyal customers get exceptional benefits. I love checking-in in the morning without any issue. I love staying around the world and always been very well welcomed. I love club lounges to have a quiet moment. And I love of course very nice suites.

I love having my little problems solved quickly and efficiently through the Ambassador line.

I know that ICs can be in some towns not the trendiest/cheapest option, but still I am always very happy to see the IC logo when arriving in a city by taxi, because I know I will have again a great stay.
+1
Old Aug 11, 2014, 8:10 am
uk1
Suspended

Originally Posted by scubaccr
Your spend is irrelevant as you never pay for a qualifying rate to stay. Ok that works well if one is a regular at an IC, one can usually get everything RA does with exception of the free mini-bar as a regular repeat stayer.

I think IHG should up IC nights we all currently believe required from 20 to 30, that would reduce a few RAs .

My one issue is IC stays in London, Paris, Amsterdam cost me 3-4x nightly rate than a whole bunch of cheaper cities. As such my 30 European nights can easily buy 60-100+ nights in some USA, Asian, Chinese countries.

Maybe the cheaper IC's should only count as 0.5 qual nights to even things up ?
Your argument is inconsistent.

In your first comments you state that qualification should be based solely on nights and not revenue - but more. Then you go on to grumble that your stays are more expensive than other RA's that qualify which is a revenue argument and then in your last comments you state that cheaper IC's should qualify for less nights - which is again a further revenue based argument.

But my suggestion that it is simply based on how much a customer spends isn't to your liking.
Old Aug 11, 2014, 8:58 am
Suspended

Programs: SQ TPPS, EK Gold, IHG RA, Marriott Gold Hyatt Diamond, HHonors Gold, UA Premier Gold, TG Silver

Completely agree.
Old Aug 11, 2014, 11:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat

Well said without RA my stays would be with Hilton (comp Diamond ongoing), SPG or Hyatt.

The truly unique feature of RA is that it encourages me to book a suite or good room knowing I will get a better room. Too many frequent guest schemes encourage customers to spend less not more. That has always struck me as odd and why I really value RA.
Old Aug 11, 2014, 12:19 pm

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by uk1
Your argument is inconsistent.

In your first comments you state that qualification should be based solely on nights and not revenue - but more. Then you go on to grumble that your stays are more expensive than other RA's that qualify which is a revenue argument and then in your last comments you state that cheaper IC's should qualify for less nights - which is again a further revenue based argument.

But my suggestion that it is simply based on how much a customer spends isn't to your liking.
Not what I said at all, I just pointed out that a few European City IC rates were of the order of 4x that of a raft of cheaper ICs in eg China, Asa and cetain US cities. May well be why so many RAs qualify in China, many new ICs at relatively cheap rates

And I would hate Ambassador program to close just when they fix the only real issue I had, the fixed points per IC stay versus loads of $$$ points in Americas.

I comfortably make the IC stay counts needed the last few years, so qualifying on ££'s is not relevant or needed.

My only annoyance from switching from predominantly CP to IC stays, was the loss in points, BUT that has just been corrected, which will be really appreciated when I stay in London, Amsterdam and Paris.

Heck just 2 inroom meals and 2 bar beers at IC-Berlin got me 2k points that I would not have received at IC's before this July. I will be upping my incidental spend at IC's a fair bit now.
Old Aug 11, 2014, 12:31 pm
uk1
Suspended

Not what I said at all, I just pointed out that a few European City IC rates were of the order of 4x that of a raft of cheaper ICs in eg China, Asa and cetain US cities. May well be why so many RAs qualify in China, many new ICs at relatively cheap rates

And I would hate Ambassador program to close just when they fix the only real issue I had, the fixed points per IC stay versus loads of $$$ points in Americas.

I comfortably make the IC stay counts needed the last few years, so qualifying on ££'s is not relevant or needed.

My only annoyance from switching from predominantly CP to IC stays, was the loss in points, BUT that has just been corrected, which will be really appreciated when I stay in London, Amsterdam and Paris.

Heck just 2 inroom meals and 2 bar beers at IC-Berlin got me 2k points that I would not have received at IC's before this July. I will be upping my incidental spend at IC's a fair bit now.
Thanks for clarifying.

Old Aug 11, 2014, 12:54 pm

Programs: DL GM and so on
May well be why so many RAs qualify in China, many new ICs at relatively cheap rates
Then why not change the program to be purely revenue-based? For example, instead of 60 nights price the average night at about USD 250 and require at least 15K spending per year.
Old Aug 11, 2014, 12:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by paulmoscow
Then why not change the program to be purely revenue-based? For example, instead of 60 nights price the average night at about USD 250 and require at least 15K spending per year.
Too low make it 25k and increase the benefits
Old Aug 11, 2014, 1:01 pm
uk1
Suspended

Originally Posted by paulmoscow
Exactly
Old Aug 11, 2014, 1:02 pm
uk1
Suspended

Originally Posted by Land-of-Miles
Too low make it 25k and increase the benefits
I think the right amount is probably $20k.

Simple.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.