Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ending of Royal Ambassador??

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6, 2014, 10:58 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond Elite, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by scubaccr
And if Ambassador program goes away what makes you think a Platinum status will instead suffice. I can not see it happening.

If you think IC's struggle with number of Ambassador's + RA's staying at the moment, it would be far worse if the millions of Platinums had to be given recognition and meaningful upgrades.
Doesn't seem to be a problem at Marriott where I am treated VERY well as a Platinum Elite (staying many less nights than at IHG) that I got instantly (as part of a very small challenge that I requested via email) in June 2012...and was able to requalify for this year.

You just don't want the competition from the rest of us who deserve it more than you do.

Last edited by CalItalian; Aug 6, 2014 at 11:04 pm
Old Aug 6, 2014, 11:02 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond Elite, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by uk1
I agree ... but at least your stay nights have reduced from 300+ nights you previously mentioned you stayed in IHG in 2013. That, with your stays and status at Marriott / Ritz Carlton must mean you never ever see home. I'd not survive that.

Sympathies.
Trying to spread the love around a little more...Besides Marriott, I am on a Hyatt challenge right now...just trying to see what I like better, if anything, than IHG. I don't like the fact that I am not recognized at IC's (it is really insulting based on the business I give IHG). That's making me try out other programs...
I am not home very often...sometimes just enough to pick up the mail...
Old Aug 7, 2014, 1:20 am
uk1
Suspended

Originally Posted by Chinatrvl
That would be a disaster, at least here in the cities of China with RA numbers (or members of the paid program) multiplying within days; leading to crowded hotels and lounges particularly on the weekends. So I highly doubt that will happen.
You think IHG share your concern about numbers multiplying in IHG properties and that it would be seen by IHG as a disaster.

Isn't that exactly what they are trying to achieve? Your post explains exactly why it would be a good thing for IHG to do.
Old Aug 7, 2014, 4:29 am

Programs: Spire RA, 1865 Voyager, Bonvoy Titanium, FB LP, LH SEN.
Originally Posted by uk1
You think IHG share your concern about numbers multiplying in IHG properties and that it would be seen by IHG as a disaster.

Isn't that exactly what they are trying to achieve? Your post explains exactly why it would be a good thing for IHG to do.
In the worst case, hotels lose money on these guests as stagnating rates and the ridiculous sum of 5000 CNY cannot compensate for families moving in IC suites over the weekend, raiding the minibars and club lounges. Quality would go down even more. This is to a lower extent already now the case (we talk about up to 50 RAs checking in at an IC in the city they live in during the weekend) and attaining RA takes more than 5k CNY.
Hotels have been struggling with this for years now and did everything they could to get the referrals, and to some extent abusive guests, away and qualification criteria up, so I highly doubt that this will be a "good thing". At 50000 CNY / 10,000 USD - that might work here.
Old Aug 8, 2014, 7:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Call me a traditionalist but I'd hate to see the Ambassador/RA program end. I go back to the original SixContinentsClub (and the HiltonClub) which quite fit the needs of those using high end international hotels. The problem came with the takeover by Bass and Holiday Inn, and uneven integration with PriorityClub, as well as expectations moving from stay benefits to earning points and free nights.

For me, the program isn't broken so don't tinker with it further. Just let it exist for its purpose of better servicing regular IC customers, a very different market niche than that of HIs and HIXs, let alone the other leisure and lifestyle tier brands.
Old Aug 8, 2014, 10:09 am

Programs: AZ FA+, A3 G, AB G | IHG RA, HGP D, FPC P, Accor P, BW D, HH D, Eleva, GHA P, 1862 Voyager
If they are going to cancel the RA programme, I hope they let us know soon so that I can change all my existing IC bookings over to Hyatt /SPG.
Old Aug 8, 2014, 11:56 am
uk1
Suspended

Originally Posted by lsed
If they are going to cancel the RA programme, I hope they let us know soon so that I can change all my existing IC bookings over to Hyatt /SPG.
You are more likely to hear it on FT first than from them directly, aren't you!
Old Aug 8, 2014, 2:47 pm

Programs: AZ FA+, A3 G, AB G | IHG RA, HGP D, FPC P, Accor P, BW D, HH D, Eleva, GHA P, 1862 Voyager
Originally Posted by uk1
You are more likely to hear it on FT first than from them directly, aren't you!

That's true! In that case I hope we find out sooner than later.

So far since they stopped sending out RA referrals, I haven't seen any improvements as an RA member.

I don't really have any interest in staying in CPs and much less in HIs. So if they axe RA, it's farewell for me.
Old Aug 8, 2014, 2:55 pm
uk1
Suspended

Originally Posted by lsed
That's true! In that case I hope we find out sooner than later.

So far since they stopped sending out RA referrals, I haven't seen any improvements as an RA member.

I don't really have any interest in staying in CPs and much less in HIs. So if they axe RA, it's farewell for me.
I don't know what the situation is currently with status matching, but if you were serious about your plans it wouldn't do any harm to sound out the other chains to see if they might whilst you are still currently RA in a live programme. Even if the published info is they don't they might do if asked nicely. You don't know until you try. If there was an announcement of the end of RA there could be a lot more trying it and sometimes the earlier bird catches the better worms.

The other thing, is if you regularly return to the same properties, sound them out now about whether they would continue to offer you the benefits if the programme closed. They can only say no. If they thought they might lose you ......

I still get RA benefits in two properties even though I have "lapsed". It is always worth asking nicely if you have a good relationship.
Old Aug 8, 2014, 8:41 pm

Programs: AC AP, Priority Club Platinum, Hertz President's Circle, National Executive
Originally Posted by CalItalian
I hope both Ambassador and RA programs do come to an end. I stay at ALL other IHG brands BUT NOT IC for ONE reason only: because I am not recognized at IC's.
Agree. I am fiercely loyal to IHG for my work travel, which are in towns and cities where there is no ICs. Consequently my 60 nights per year are spent at HI/HIX. However, on vacation in larger cities and resorts (15 nights per year) I seek out higher-end properties but shy away from ICs because I don't have any status/recognition. But if the programs were integrated I would consider staying at ICs.
Old Aug 8, 2014, 11:30 pm

Programs: Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by uk1
Could you imagine if they turned the concept on it's head and instead of giving RA away for free - but no one knows exactly how or why - and with customers constantly arguing about what they should be getting, instead they charged for it and benefits became a stronger and clearly spelt out contractual obligation?

So instead of DYKWIA it becomes a clear commercial contractual relationship. No variation. No whims of local management. And the fee is the same for anyone who pays but the people who gain most are those that stay most. What difference would a $1000 fee make to all the people who currently stay 75 nights a year or more or whatever it is to get RA ......

1. Swanky upgrade
2. Early checkin and later checkout
3. Free mini-bar
4. Lounge access
5. Free Laundry - 2 pieces per day
6. Special RA weekend lower but flexible rates
7. In room/suite checkin
8. Same earnings as everyone else but 33% discount on all points redemptions

No weekend vouchers. No films. Oh alright just the one for blokes travelling by themselves.

Forget the nicknacks and little silly gifts. Just a welcome note explaining what you get.

A plain and simple and consistant and guaranteed contractual programme that anyone can buy.
The LHW program works like that, you have a basic 150$ membership tier that offers free internet, breakfast, possibility of upgrade... and a 1200$ membership that offers free airport transfer, free priority pass unlimited, guaranteed upgrades... I like this program more than the opaque Ambassador program because you pay a price and never have to worry about retaining the status.
Old Aug 10, 2014, 4:14 am

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, ALL Silver,, Miles&More
Originally Posted by valdor
The LHW program works like that, you have a basic 150$ membership tier that offers free internet, breakfast, possibility of upgrade... and a 1200$ membership that offers free airport transfer, free priority pass unlimited, guaranteed upgrades... I like this program more than the opaque Ambassador program because you pay a price and never have to worry about retaining the status.
Thatīs right. You can rely on the LHW programīs promises (Leaders Club).
Old Aug 10, 2014, 4:41 am

Originally Posted by uk1
I don't know what the situation is currently with status matching, but if you were serious about your plans it wouldn't do any harm to sound out the other chains to see if they might whilst you are still currently RA in a live programme. Even if the published info is they don't they might do if asked nicely. You don't know until you try. If there was an announcement of the end of RA there could be a lot more trying it and sometimes the earlier bird catches the better worms.

The other thing, is if you regularly return to the same properties, sound them out now about whether they would continue to offer you the benefits if the programme closed. They can only say no. If they thought they might lose you ......

I still get RA benefits in two properties even though I have "lapsed". It is always worth asking nicely if you have a good relationship.

Thanks for the tips!
I don't actually have an IC that I really stay a lot with - I should have stayed in about 40 ICs so far but the most are just 6 or 7 stays.

But it is a good point to build that relationship with existing hotels.

I just had breakfast with a hotel GM and it was not from the IHG group.
Old Aug 10, 2014, 7:41 am

Programs: SQ G, LH FTL, UA S, Marriott Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by CalItalian
I hope both Ambassador and RA programs do come to an end. I stay at ALL other IHG brands BUT NOT IC for ONE reason only: because I am not recognized at IC's. I stay well over 200 nights each year at IHG properties.
With 200+ nights, I really don't see a reason why you would *avoid* staying at ICs - you would stay enough to make it to RA in any case. If there are no ICs where you usually stay, then the whole rant is irrelevant, because you wouldn't benefit from status recognition anyway.
Old Aug 10, 2014, 7:53 am

Programs: SQ G, LH FTL, UA S, Marriott Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by uk1
Could you imagine if they turned the concept on it's head and instead of giving RA away for free - but no one knows exactly how or why - and with customers constantly arguing about what they should be getting, instead they charged for it and benefits became a stronger and clearly spelt out contractual obligation?
I for one would be the first to leave. For most of my stays, I don't *choose* to travel, and my company won't reimburse any membership fees. Sure, I like the perks, but frankly, they seem to be more consistent (especially at non-IC properties) with other chains.

What you are suggesting is not a *loyalty* program (the chain rewarding its most frequent customers), but just a subscription to benefits, similar to what UA has for E+. The only incentive for me to book IC/IHG hotels then would be to a) first invest in the relationship, and b) take care to get the most out of my money. Works perfectly if most of my stays are leisure stays. No need to try hard to achieve a (potentially imaginary) target, and I can clearly calculate how profitable my investment is.

It may seem silly, but a stupid gift or a knick-knack is what (falsely) makes it feel a little more personal in the whole relationship between myself and a huge international hotel chain. It's what pushes me to book IC/IHG vs. Hilton vs. SPG vs. Hyatt. Sure, I would probably get the same if I had top-tier status at any of the others, but I don't. And take away my knick-knack, and you're just making me go look for it at one of them.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.