Wiki Posts
Search

Pointbreaks condition changes.

Search this Thread

Old May 19, 2014, 8:39 am
Original Poster

Pointbreaks condition changes.

I see that the page now states.

"Due to the limited availability, each member may only book two PointBreaksŪ Reward Nights reservations per hotel during the special offer time period. Offer and participating hotels are subject to change at any time, valid for booking through May 31, 2014. All other Reward Night terms and conditions apply. To view participating properties, simply click one of the regions below.

Please note that Reward Nights booked through PointBreaksŪ may not be sold or used for commercial gains. Doing so is a program violation and may result in the freezing of your account, the forfeiture of all point transfers, rewards, vouchers, or merchandise issued pursuant to point redemptions and any accrued points or miles in your account, as well as cancellation of the account and your future participation in the Program."
Old May 19, 2014, 8:49 am

Well there were clearly big problems with the last lot and something needed to be done. A lot of people won't be happy with this but I suppose it means more people get a shot at them in the long run.
Old May 19, 2014, 8:50 am

Programs: UA 1P, Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Angry

Noooooooooo!
What a stealthy devaluation!
Old May 19, 2014, 8:54 am

Programs: UA Plat, SPG Gold, HH Gold, Priority Club Platinum, Hertz #1 Gold Club
well that sucks....
Old May 19, 2014, 8:56 am

Programs: AS,UA
I kind of a expected this to happen and its not horrible, at least its not going away. I think people abused this promotion a great deal.
Old May 19, 2014, 9:01 am
htb

Programs: UA*G(1K), PC Diamond Amb, Marriott Titanium, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by lebowski2222
I kind of a expected this to happen and its not horrible, at least its not going away. I think people abused this promotion a great deal.
What do you mean by "abuse". Trying to get the most out of your points?

The new rule is stupid: if you want to spend 6 days at a hotel, you can now only book 2 rooms and have to pay for the remaining 4.

HTB.
Old May 19, 2014, 9:01 am
Original Poster

On re-reading, I'm not clear on whether this is '2 nights' or '2 reservations'.
Old May 19, 2014, 9:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Good. Glad they did it.
Old May 19, 2014, 9:03 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, TK*Elite+, EBD, FBG, EKS, IHG Royal Ambassador
I'm pretty sure it means two bookings. The smart way of booking a pointsbreak has always been to do one booking per night. Book a big time frame and then cancel those nights you can't use.
Old May 19, 2014, 9:22 am

Programs: AS 100K, UA MM, AA MM, IC Plat Amb, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by johhenrik
I'm pretty sure it means two bookings. The smart way of booking a pointsbreak has always been to do one booking per night. Book a big time frame and then cancel those nights you can't use.
Also, the T&C above limit members to two reservations per hotel, so it looks like the new language might be specifically targeted to address this behavior. And that's only if they choose to enforce it; they might decide to apply it only to the most-egregious cases of speculative bookings.

(Of course, the way my luck has been running, it's unlikely to matter. I haven't been able to take advantage of a PB booking in over two years now. )
Old May 19, 2014, 9:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by lebowski2222
I do know someone who moved into an IHG resort for a month earlier this year!
Old May 19, 2014, 9:54 am
Suspended

Well, it is certainly better than what some idiots wanted, which was to make PB reservations non-refundable!
Old May 19, 2014, 10:35 am

I see this as a positive transgression. Eliminate and/or penalize the hoarders of the largest benefit for many IHG members.

Would be logical if this restriction was accompanied by more attractive PB properties, but not holding my breath as IHG continues their mass scalebacks and downgrades.

There are still some nice new properties in the system that are a better value at their regular 10k rate than the usual 5k PB list which is overwhelmingly undesirable, remote and/or tired highway locations.

Last edited by stigs; May 19, 2014 at 10:41 am
Old May 19, 2014, 11:14 am

Programs: Hilton Honors
It's about time

This should finally solve the problem of all those hoarders who know full well they aren't going to use most of their 'speculative' bookings and could care less that they are taking PB ops off the market for many who would actually use them.
But the new policy does punish those who could actually use more than 2 nights at a particular hotel.
So yet another big shout-out and thank-you to all those who can't seem to use a deal judiciously, moderately and responsibiy. And the usual shout-out to the myriad of bloggers' over-hype playing their usual part in hastening the ruin of another deal.
Lots of other deals out their to ruin so I'll let y'all get back to it.
Old May 19, 2014, 11:29 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by IDM79
So yet another big shout-out and thank-you to all those who can't seem to use a deal judiciously, moderately and responsibiy. And the usual shout-out to the myriad of bloggers' over-hype playing their usual part in hastening the ruin of another deal.
Lots of other deals out their to ruin so I'll let y'all get back to it.
+ infinity

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.