Non upgraded Ambassador bookings - partial refund?

Old May 5, 2014, 4:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold
Non upgraded Ambassador bookings - partial refund?

Hello All,

I recently stayed in an IC and (not for the first time), discovered to my annoyance no upgrade and no explanation why (until I prompted them).

I have contacted IHG and bascially said that I want a partial refund to the room rate below the room I booked (exce room, club level).

It's not a great deal of money (perhaps 20USD per night), but it's more the principle. I initially received a generic "sorry" email from both IHG and the hotel, but on pushing for this some more, just tumbleweed.

Has anyone else attempted this? If so, did you manage to get anywhere?

Thanks in advance guys.
Old May 5, 2014, 6:14 am
Suspended

Just to poor some cold water on you:

one of the ICs I had stayed (Club room I booked), without upgrade as a RA, claimed that I got a better view. That was before the guaranteed Suite/Club was introduced.

I never went back.
Old May 5, 2014, 6:14 am

Programs: Hyatt PL, PC Spire/RA, HH GOLD, SPG Green, Marriott Silver, Skywards B, CSA Gold, Lufthansa Paper,UA
Yes, and every time that happened, I've got a partial refund.
Old May 5, 2014, 6:21 am

Programs: 1k MM, Hyatt Diamond,Marriott Gold, IHG Sphire, SPG Gold, Hilton Diamond, Carson Gold
The only time it happened to me was when the hotel was already sold out. I didnt mind was just glad to have a room
Old May 5, 2014, 6:45 am

Programs: IC/AMB - Diamond Elite, AC E50K, AA, AM-Onyx, HH-Diamond, BW, Choice - Gold
Originally Posted by chongcao
Just to poor some cold water on you:

one of the ICs I had stayed (Club room I booked), without upgrade as a RA, claimed that I got a better view. That was before the guaranteed Suite/Club was introduced.

I never went back.
RA Guarantee upgrade to Executive Room or Suite has been there since the beginning of the Ambassador Program. Club Room (with Club access) was added a few years ago. Upgrade and room assignment is at the discretion of the hotel.

Upgrades are guaranteed for Ambassador and RA members and not subject to availability. Unfortunately, for Ambassador members (not RA) the hotel determines what room is considered a 1-level upgrade. Additionally, IHG does not have a standard definition/descriptor for what constitutes a Superior, Deluxe or Executive room.

I would still suggest pursuing some sort of compensation. In North American you can contact Guest Relations in Salt Lake City at 1-800-621-0555. I am not sure if there is a UK equivalent number.

mxm135
Old May 5, 2014, 7:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
As a RA I have always had a room rate reduction when the property could not upgrade me.

The only time this didn't happen was at the IC Managua, where I got nothing.
Old May 5, 2014, 8:25 am

Programs: QF Gold, VA Plat, IHG Plat Amb, LCAH Gold, Hilton Diamond
Only happened to me once, and the hotel through points at me!
Old May 10, 2014, 1:15 pm
Original Poster

Hi Guys, thanks for the comments. They didn't try to pull the wool over the eyes by claiming it was a better room: from the outset when I asked, they conceded they hadn't upgraded me.

I'll give them another poke and see what happens
Old May 10, 2014, 2:21 pm

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Cradders
Hi Guys, thanks for the comments. They didn't try to pull the wool over the eyes by claiming it was a better room: from the outset when I asked, they conceded they hadn't upgraded me.

I'll give them another poke and see what happens
Not unreasonable to ask for refund of one category rate in this instance, especially as hotel has concurred, that no 'guaranteed upgrade' was provided.

Did your IC give a reason for lack of upgrade on a paid stay ? If you booked Exec/Club 1-level below j/suite (full suite) maybe they had none +1 rooms left , or did you check with a dummy booking to see if the IC could have correctly upgraded you ?

Did you checkin at main reception or club-lounge as I find lounge staff tend to be more knowlegable about RA/Ambassador program, ++ also better empowered to make things right.
Old May 11, 2014, 6:39 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by scubaccr
Not unreasonable to ask for refund of one category rate in this instance, especially as hotel has concurred, that no 'guaranteed upgrade' was provided.

Did your IC give a reason for lack of upgrade on a paid stay ? If you booked Exec/Club 1-level below j/suite (full suite) maybe they had none +1 rooms left , or did you check with a dummy booking to see if the IC could have correctly upgraded you ?

Did you checkin at main reception or club-lounge as I find lounge staff tend to be more knowlegable about RA/Ambassador program, ++ also better empowered to make things right.
Originally I checked in at reception (at the Ambassador desk) as I was with a largeish group, of which I was the only Ambassador. No mention was made of either upgrade or anything Ambassador (beyond giving me the standard Ambassador stuff like gift, letter, etc). I was a bit suspicious of this, but upon reaching my room (Club level exec room as booked), I realised why.

I immediately went to the club lounge reception desk and asked why I hadn't received an upgrade. They told me I was entitled to one, but none was available as they were fully booked (although part of me wonders if this was a convenient choice on their part, given this was a one week stay).

The difference in rate is not massive (I'd guess about $50 a night at the most, based upon dummy bookings). I don't think it is an unreasonable request under the circumstances, but I can see why they would want to resist it (i.e. it costs them money).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.