Community
Wiki Posts
Search

I found it really hard to stick only to IHG

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8, 2013, 9:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
It's always wise to have membership in different programs. I started out many years ago with Hilton. I was pretty happy as a Diamond, until all the promos dried up.

At the time, IHG, Hyatt and others had considerably better free night promos.
Old Dec 8, 2013, 9:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by Campath
It would have been even better if I could do 2 Saturday night stays in certain cities. That would help me max out the Big Win promo and get about 77k more points for approx $200 in spend. Unfortunately I don't have any travel to these cities and cannot justify the cost and time of flying there for a mattress run.
Do you have any friends who live in those cities?
Old Dec 8, 2013, 9:52 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by kit125
I'm an RA and plat in both MR and SPG and I hands down get better treatment with IHG. IHG, in my experience, delivers on its promises of benefits and without asking. I rarely get upgraded at MR and SPG and often have to ask for minimum benefits. I wish I could keep all of my business at IHG, but with the amount I travel, I need and appreciate having options across chains.
Treatment as SPG gold is limited - especially in the US. However Platinum SPG status, especially in Asia is quite good.

I've actually found IHG & Sofitel are my backup chains (SPG is primary). I love the IC's I've stayed in and they've treated me quite well (even as a lowly Gold). I also enjoy HIX for a night or two when needed (the price is right), although I get no status benefits there. I initially though Hilton would be my backup chain, but I've enjoyed IC & Sofitel so much (Europe and Asia), that I've stayed with them. And Marriott and Hilton just always seem more expensive than SPG, IC and Sofitel - so I don't bother with them.
Old Dec 8, 2013, 2:28 pm

Programs: BAGold; AA3MMPlat; UA1MMGold; FBGold; MarriottAmb; AccorPlat; HHGold; ICPlatAmb; HyattDiscoverist
IHG has quite a large footprint, but of their brands, I rarely stay in anything other than an IC (I do like one of the Indigos in London, the CP in CPH and the HI in TBS, but have not been thrilled with any of the other of the lower end properties I've used or the lack of recognition there), which of course is very limited. While I now have at least mid-tier status in most of the majors, my primary program is Hyatt (also a very small footprint) and I'm next most active in Fairmont (which is miniscule). I can't imagine staying with just one brand--even if they treat you well consistently, they certainly don't deliver the same quality consistently, or their locations may be inadequate or less than ideal...
Old Dec 8, 2013, 2:50 pm

Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
Do you have any friends who live in those cities?
I did consider that option but you know what they say about pigs getting fat and hogs getting slaughtered.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.