Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Question about using points for Air travel

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30, 2013, 5:59 pm
Original Poster

Question about using points for Air travel

Short time lurker, first time poster, so I apologize if this has been discussed, or if this is in the wrong area.

Here's the situation, I travel in-state quite frequently for work, and am loyal to the IHG brand due to price, proximity to where I work, and availability of rewards. Work allows me to book my own rooms, so I hunt for the bonus packages and do a good job of accumulating points .

I do not fly for work, and really have no clue which airline/program is better than the next. I've tried to read up on them, but get conflicting opinions from different people.

My goal is to go to Ireland somewhere in 18-24 months in the future with my wife and daughter. I'd like to convert my hotel points for airline miles and fly for as close to free as possible, stay for free at IHG properties in Ireland (which should be no problem), and possibly rent a vehicle (with my points) to get around. I understand that it's not efficient at all to convert hotel points to airline miles, but other than possibly getting an airline CC, I have no way of (naturally) earning airline miles.

What I'm hoping to learn is what are the best airlines to use? I live in Ohio, but can make it to the East Coast (Boston, NYC) to maximize point efficiency. I'm also flexible to where I fly into in Ireland/England. I'm trying to develop a game plan to start earning/saving my points and directing them to the correct location/throwing my lot in with a specific carrier (and convince the wife that this is actually a feasible proposition.

I've come to understand that BA has good availability in flights, but will kill you in fuel surcharges, etc. Also, I've found that Aer Lingus will use the BA Avios, but booking flights is difficult. I've looked at other airlines as well, but frankly, it's a bit overwhelming for an unseasoned traveler. The point is that I would like to get over there as cheaply as possible (duh) while maximizing the wonderful perk of my job, namely, free IHG points. I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction, or help weed out some of the many options.

Has anyone done anything similar, or had success choosing one airline over another? Any suggestions on departure/arrival locations?

Many thanks in advance!
Old Sep 30, 2013, 6:31 pm

Programs: US GP, MR Platinum, PC Platinum, HHonors Gold, Avis First, Enterprise Plat
how many points do you have? Buying air tickets with hotel points is VERY expensive, especially international...
Old Sep 30, 2013, 6:44 pm
Original Poster

Right now, I'm a bit tapped out on points. I'm currently around 123K, but, according to IHG, my YTD earning is at 681K. I'm fairly certain that I'll sustain this level of earning, which is why I'm planning on 18-24 months into the future. I figured it would be expensive via hotel points, but in the end, my hotel points are free, and actual airline tickets are, most decidedly, not.
Old Sep 30, 2013, 11:56 pm

Sorry to post it here, but Marriott offer best hotel to airline point/miles conversion rate. By redeeming for their Hotel&Flight package, the rate of conversion is 1:1 (you even get a better rate with United Airline).

Hope that helps.

Regards.
Old Oct 1, 2013, 4:50 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the response. I looked at Mariott and Hilton chains, but unfortunately, the locations that are within my budget are not convenient to my office when I travel, and the locations that are convenient are above my price range... I've got a hard ceiling of what I can spend per night, and unfortunately, Mariott and Hilton chains don't have anything convenient to where I'm staying, which is why I've thrown my hat in with the IHG rewards. With them, I've got several decent options in an acceptable distance that fit under my budget. Thanks for the input, though!
Old Oct 1, 2013, 5:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Booking Aer Lingus flights is difficult only because they tend to release two business class seats per flight, and you are 3 people. If you want economy its not an issue.

Booking is not 'difficult' unless you find picking up a telephone difficult!

However, lets cut to the chase.

3 x economy return tickets, Boston to Dublin, will cost 25,000 Avios each, return, plus a small amount of tax. You can get 75,000 Avios relatively easily - for free - with credit card sign-ups.

To get 75,000 Avios from IHG would require converting 375,000 IHG points. You could, instead, use 375,000 IHG points for 7 nights at the InterContinental London / Paris etc or 11 Holiday Inn nights in London. Either way, you'd be getting $4000+ of value in peak season. It simply isn't worth converting them.
Old Oct 1, 2013, 6:05 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the heads up! I didn't realize Aer Lingus only released 2 Business class seats per flight. I didn't really make it clear, but part of the reason I was looking at converting points to miles was so we could basically fly first/business for as close to free as possible. BA seems to be out due to surcharges/taxes, EI seems to be out due to only releasing two per flight, any other suggestions? It's not a deal breaker, but flying first/business would be a real treat for us. Many thanks!!
Old Oct 1, 2013, 4:16 pm
Original Poster

Also, I was looking at US Airways miles, and it looks GROSSLY overpriced compared to the points it would cost to book on Aer Lingus. Am I missing something?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.