Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > InterContinental Hotels | IHG One Rewards and Intercontinental Ambassador
Reload this Page >

IHG closed my acct. (after 25 Best Rate Claims) and noone will tell me why

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

IHG closed my acct. (after 25 Best Rate Claims) and noone will tell me why

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16, 2013, 10:51 am

Originally Posted by scubaccr
Maybe IHG should anyway, set a reasonable number of BRG's per calendar (or rolling 12month) year , say 18 BRG nights. I think 3-4 BRG t+c revisions ago, there was some yearly limit? Then the more frequent single night BRG'ers would know where they stood.
The easiest change to make is first night free on 2+ night stays, 50% off one night stays. I'll get flack for saying it, but it would eliminate 90%+ of the abuse. It could also allow many of the other rules (one per 7 nights, 50 mile radius rule, etc.) to be relaxed
Old Sep 16, 2013, 1:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
Originally Posted by azepine00
No its not like this at all.
Originally Posted by htb
Actually it is. I don't see this style of arguing anywhere, though. The sun revolves around the earth and the earth is flat.

HTB.
I agree to you that "it is". However, your counterpart is not aware that there is a world outside the land of the free, where consumer rights are protected it you put your cat into the microwave but where the judicial review of GTC is an exotic and unknown species.....
Old Sep 16, 2013, 1:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by taipeiflyer
all i can say is FINALLY! hopefully it reigns in those who have been taking advantage of the system. 25 BRGs only in one year only serves to disadvantage everyone, as IHG will realize how much money they are losing and completely revamp the system. Good on IHG!
IHG is not losing a dime. You need to understand how the system works: the hotel group is a big franchise business and ihg rewards club is nothing but a booking platform like expedia or hrs. Since it is owned by the company granting the franchise it can dictate the rules. And it prohibits its franchises to sell cheaper via third channels tyan they do via ihg.com. If they do so, they are punished. And all of us happy campers work for the organisation like e FBI works for the US government chasing hotels that do not comply.....
Old Sep 16, 2013, 1:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Flying Lawyer
IHG is not losing a dime. You need to understand how the system works: the hotel group is a big franchise business and ihg rewards club is nothing but a booking platform like expedia or hrs. Since it is owned by the company granting the franchise it can dictate the rules. And it prohibits its franchises to sell cheaper via third channels tyan they do via ihg.com. If they do so, they are punished. And all of us happy campers work for the organisation like e FBI works for the US government chasing hotels that do not comply.....
I understand how the system works. ICH sets up BRG fair and square. Some folks manage to milk it for a month of free stays while contributing nothing. Hotels complain, ICH checks individual accounts and realize the magnitude of abuse. ICH scales down or eliminates the program.
The end result - average customers who use the system as indended lose.
Not the first time on this forum...
Old Sep 17, 2013, 12:57 am

Programs: UA MM/1P, EK Au, QR, TK, Marriott Life Ti, Hilton Dia, IC Dia, Hyatt Glob, Accor Pt, Shangri-La
Originally Posted by Often1
So, if he "earned" them, they are income and he's reporting the fair market value of those points as income?

Can't have it both ways. Either freebies are an asset in which case they are income when earned or they aren't an asset and there's no tax consequence.
Talk about a non sequitur. What do tax laws have to do with this? Loyalty points are not considered taxable income (at least in the U.S.), so it doesn't make much sense to equate IHG's moral or even legal obligation to honor points to their taxability.
Old Sep 17, 2013, 5:23 am

Programs: MR Gold, IHG Gold AMB
I understand how the system works. ICH sets up BRG fair and square. Some folks manage to milk it for a month of free stays while contributing nothing.
False, they contribute by eliminating cheaper non-IHG booking channels. IHG deemed that to be significant enough to give out complimentary nights (thought 'paid' by hotels).

The end result - average customers who use the system as indended lose.
May we please get your sources on how the system is intended to be used? Because all I have is T&C, and by them the OP has done nothing wrong.
Old Sep 17, 2013, 6:16 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by elva

May we please get your sources on how the system is intended to be used? Because all I have is T&C, and by them the OP has done nothing wrong.
In one of his posts, he has admitted that he has broken the rule regarding staying at same hotel ( or another within 50 miles ) within a week of previous BRG stay ( see post 36 http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/21431423-post36.html )
Old Sep 17, 2013, 6:35 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
In one of his posts, he has admitted that he has broken the rule regarding staying at same hotel ( or another within 50 miles ) within a week of previous BRG stay ( see post 36 http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/21431423-post36.html )
Let me try this again one more time, there was no such in rule in place at the time of my claims or at the time of my stays. The rule only came into existence a few weeks ago. Do I need to make that any clearer? I broke no explicit rules acc. to the t&c in place at the time.
Old Sep 17, 2013, 6:35 am

yet again dave, you're stating misinformation on here. The OP CLEARLY posts that they filed their BRG's in accordance to the rules as they were at the time the BRG claim was made, therefore he broke no rules.
Old Sep 17, 2013, 6:36 am
htb

Programs: UA*G(1K), PC Diamond Amb, Marriott Titanium, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by dmw144
I know it is probably an unpopular sentiment on here, but i genuinely think he got what he deserved - he didn't go in with a good faith intention to purchase a hotel room for the night - he went in with the intent of getting free nights
With your logic IHG did not really want to guarantee the lowest available rate, they only wanted to lure people into booking with them. Quite dishonest for a business to do.

HTB.
Old Sep 17, 2013, 6:39 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by htb
With your logic IHG did not really want to guarantee the lowest available rate, they only wanted to lure people into booking with them. Quite dishonest for a business to do.

HTB.
That is 100% correct, imo.
Old Sep 17, 2013, 6:40 am
htb

Programs: UA*G(1K), PC Diamond Amb, Marriott Titanium, Accor Platinum
So, if he "earned" them, they are income and he's reporting the fair market value of those points as income?

Can't have it both ways. Either freebies are an asset in which case they are income when earned or they aren't an asset and there's no tax consequence.
The fact whether he reported points as income or not will play no role in whether IHG has the right to take away these points or not.

Furthermore -- he did not "earn" them in the sense of "income" unless someone else (his employer) paid for his credit card and rooms. (This is what it's like in Germany.)

HTB.

Last edited by htb; Sep 17, 2013 at 7:02 am
Old Sep 17, 2013, 6:43 am
Suspended
Original Poster

I've come to acceptance quite easily, moving on with actually important things in my life. Of course now that they've treated me so poorly, anytime I can help a friend or family member I will definitely give them the BRG info. and help them make a claim. I am now motivated to get as many free nights as possible for people I care about- not everyone here on the forum. And I know a lot of sites. Of all my claims only 3 were rejected- (it was a little vague about how exactly identical the room types need to be). And that my friends is called closure.
Old Sep 17, 2013, 7:10 am

What?!?! Completely wrong and incorrect. Since when are points/miles income? They are always reported as "rebates", which are still earned fairly and considered an asset if the original transaction/purchase was done to earn such a rebate. Rebates aren't taxed, therefore the issue of taxation has absolutely nothing to do with this conversation and is irrelevant.
Old Sep 17, 2013, 11:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The logical consequence would have been not to accept the claim. If I ask you for something I am not entitled to you are free to say "no" but certainly not free to take my car, my wife or my points.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.