Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Major guilt trip by manager on Best Price Guarantee

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25, 2013, 9:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Hyatt Globalist UA 1K MM, Delta Diamond
Major guilt trip by manager on Best Price Guarantee

Last night I was in Vegas with a comped room. The weather was crap so decided to go to Scottsdale for a few days.. Upon reserving a resort for the week, I found a Holiday inn on Expedia for lower than the published rate. For the hell of it I tried to make a claim, and it worked.. So I figured to leave LAS, drive to Scottsdale, get in super early crash at the HI, and head on over to the other hotel.. So we get there at about 2:30/3am.. Check in.. They matched the rate.. No free night. Upon checking out, I spoke to the manager, and he was livid about the Best Price Guarantee.. He called it a loophole, and a scam etc.. He told me I was taking advantage of the system, and he had a mortgage to pay etc etc.. (Mind you this is all over $47) He even said the expedia rate is an error (It was about $5 lower) He went on and on trying to make me pay, and saying that if I complain to IHG he will have to pay etc etc...

Well I am on holiday on my own dime, and I got the Best Price Guarantee fair and clear! So I told him that he needed to honor it.. Then he spoke to the lady at the FD who was not at all too pleased, and I was on my way... Totally ruined my experience at the hotel.. We used the room several hours, and it would never have been sold that night... Hell I had a room in Vegas I could have kept! Terrible experience through and through, a manager/owner should not act this way towards guest.. He franchises with IHG for the business, so he should consider the Best Price Guarantee a cost of doing business! Really ruined my morning I have to say
Old Aug 25, 2013, 9:59 pm
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Gold, VA Gold, IHG Spire, Accor Plat, Marriot Plat, Hilton Diamond
The same manager probably thought they were being smart by dropping expedia rates and got caught out, rules work both ways!
Old Aug 26, 2013, 12:21 am

Programs: DL DM, F9 100k, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat
Interesting, because I've had the opposite experience. Was discussing the BRG program with the GM of an InterContinental here in the States, and the GM actually appreciates the program, because it lets him iron out the sites that are erroneously releasing inventory for rates lower than they should be.
GM also said that he attempts to come after these websites for the valid BRG claims, since they're releasing lower rates than they're supposed to.

Also had a GM at an HI that knew I was on a BRG, he was surprised, but absolutely no issue putting me into my comped room. And this was at a sold out Holiday Inn.
Old Aug 26, 2013, 3:43 am

Programs: Who cares... status is a Red Herring.
This guy sounds like a nut.
Old Aug 26, 2013, 3:47 am

Programs: ICH Plt Royal Amb, Hertz 5*, Hyatt Plat, HHons,
I've only done this once but the hotel were delighted, sharing my joy of a free night
Old Aug 26, 2013, 4:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
I have met a similar GM at a HI, but not as nut as this one. I showed the FD my BRG confirmation and I got it comped at the end of the day.

These hotels usually score very low on TA IMO, I don't think a GM who behaves like this will be nice in other areas.
Old Aug 26, 2013, 7:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF/KLM Club 2000 | InterContinental Diamond RA |AMEX Plat | Visa Infinite |Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by ItsAnAdventure
it lets him iron out the sites that are erroneously releasing inventory for rates lower than they should be.
That's the main reason why the BPG exists.
Old Aug 26, 2013, 12:47 pm

Programs: 100m swimming certificate level 5
I was talking to FD regarding connecting rooms for a paid and a points stay in the upcoming future, the guest relations manager I believe her role is, came and said hello and then cheekily said are you paying for this stay? ( assuming because I have done several BRGs here). The FD then stated "of course he is, with a startled look", she then went on asking how I manage to get the BRGs and whether I had done it at another local IGH hotel last week! then another cheeky dig about me being "very lucky"getting the 1 bed suite upgrade as i was given an exec first but after calling downstairs stating there was loads available online I was given it... I just smiled and said I cannot say as its against the "t&cs".

Last edited by mitpat474; Aug 26, 2013 at 1:08 pm
Old Aug 26, 2013, 3:55 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, BA Silver
Complain to corporate. It irks me when people want all the benefits of aligning with a major chain but then get mad at some of the costs associated with it. A customer should not be blamed or made feel guilty for taking advantage of a legitimate promotion.
Old Aug 26, 2013, 3:59 pm

Programs: 100m swimming certificate level 5
Originally Posted by Enigma368
Complain to corporate. It irks me when people want all the benefits of aligning with a major chain but then get mad at some of the costs associated with it. A customer should not be blamed or made feel guilty for taking advantage of a legitimate promotion.
You think I should? I was contemplating it.. really took me by surprise and the FD..felt a bit embarrassed!
Old Aug 26, 2013, 4:21 pm

Originally Posted by Enigma368
Originally Posted by mitpat474
You think I should? I was contemplating it.. really took me by surprise and the FD..felt a bit embarrassed!
Or if it happens again tell the GM to complain to corporate if he doesn't like his company's policies.
Old Aug 26, 2013, 11:07 pm

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by mitpat474
I was talking to FD regarding connecting rooms for a paid and a points stay in the upcoming future, the guest relations manager I believe her role is, came and said hello and then cheekily said are you paying for this stay? ( assuming because I have done several BRGs here). The FD then stated "of course he is, with a startled look", she then went on asking how I manage to get the BRGs and whether I had done it at another local IGH hotel last week! then another cheeky dig about me being "very lucky"getting the 1 bed suite upgrade as i was given an exec first but after calling downstairs stating there was loads available online I was given it... I just smiled and said I cannot say as its against the "t&cs".
I might be careful. If you consistantly brg an hotel as 1night brgs only, never paying for a night (or very rarely paying) I believe that hotel could decide they no longer need and want your buiness and blacklist you.

Such a move would be more awkward at ParkLane as managed by IHG thrmselves, and it is their own terms they are breaching that letss you brg the hotel.

Not heard of anyone being told they are unwanted by a hotel yet, but I am sure all hotels have such an option.
Old Aug 27, 2013, 11:00 am

Happened to me with Choice Hotels

Originally Posted by scubaccr
I might be careful. If you consistantly brg an hotel as 1night brgs only, never paying for a night (or very rarely paying) I believe that hotel could decide they no longer need and want your buiness and blacklist you.

Such a move would be more awkward at ParkLane as managed by IHG thrmselves, and it is their own terms they are breaching that letss you brg the hotel.

Not heard of anyone being told they are unwanted by a hotel yet, but I am sure all hotels have such an option.
You can definitely be told you are an unwanted guest and refused future stays. This never happened to me with IHG - in fact IHG has frequently upgraded me but when Choice first came out with their free night BRG they were really loose in their requirements. I booked 3 2 day stays for 3 different consecutive months (they still allowed consecutive nights back then). By the second stay the hotel downgraded our room type and refused the third stay, telling us we were unwelcome guests because my husband complained that they closed down breakfast a half hour early (they were a small Ascend Collection Hotel). Turns out they gave corporate a different story. Without naming what the items were, they claimed there were items missing from the room. THERE ABSOLUTELY WERE NO ITEMS MISSING - not even a mini shampoo!. Choice said the hotel had the right to refuse service to anyone they wanted and stood by the hotel. It was a very unpleasant experience for us and wasn't worth the free nights. Not really fair to us since we were following the T&C's at the time but just relaying this to let you know they can indeed say they don't want your business and there is little that you can do about it.
Old Aug 27, 2013, 12:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Hyatt Globalist UA 1K MM, Delta Diamond
Very interesting... I think I will report this GM, but have no expectations that IHG will care.. I find their customer service to be lacking.. Sad thing is this is my first BRG experience! Every other BRG I have found was turned down.. Really ruined it for me. Luckily it was a hotel I will never need to return to in the future.
Old Aug 27, 2013, 1:44 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Qantas Platinum 1, IHG Diamond, United 1K, Avis President
IHG will charge a $150 case fee if you complain about the hotel. Atleast this is what a GM told me. I have not been treated well by IHG in the past. This is the reason why I stay with Marriott.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.