Search

Question about rate rules for reward stay

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2013, 3:51 pm
Formerly known as hcampana
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond
Question about rate rules for reward stay

I'm booking my first reward stay anti dontquiteunderstand the rate rules. They say:

Rate Type: Reward Nights
Rate Description: Use IHG Rewards Club Points to pay for your stay. Points will automatically be deducted at the time of booking.
Deposit Required: A deposit of 1 night is due at time of booking.
Cancellation Policy: Canceling your reservation or failing to arrive will result in forfeiture of your deposit. Taxes may apply. Failing to call or show before check-out time after the first night of a reservation will result in cancellation of the remainder of your reservation.
Rate: 50000 IHG® Rewards Club Points per room, per night
Total 50000 IHG® Rewards Club Points for Entire Stay

Does this mean I will lose my 50000 Points if I cancel, or does it always say this? I thought that reward stays were refundable? Help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old Jul 18, 2013, 3:56 pm

Programs: 100m swimming certificate level 5
Originally Posted by hcampana
I'm booking my first reward stay anti dontquiteunderstand the rate rules. They say:

Rate Description: Use IHG Rewards Club Points to pay for your stay. Points will automatically be deducted at the time of booking.
Cancellation Policy: Canceling your reservation or failing to arrive will result in forfeiture of your deposit. Taxes may apply. Failing to call or show before check-out time after the first night of a reservation will result in cancellation of the remainder of your reservation.

Does this mean I will lose my 50000 Points if I cancel, or does it always say this? I thought that reward stays were refundable? Help would be appreciated. Thanks.
What does the cancellation terms state? usually a day or few before..
Old Jul 18, 2013, 4:00 pm
Formerly known as hcampana
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond
I looked for that. There aren't any.

Edit: it just says:
Modify or Cancel Policy
Canceling your reservation or failing to arrive will result in forfeiture of your deposit. Taxes may apply. Failing to call or show before check-out time after the first night of a reservation will result in cancellation of the remainder of your reservation.
Old Jul 18, 2013, 4:02 pm

Programs: 100m swimming certificate level 5
what hotel is it?
Old Jul 18, 2013, 4:34 pm
Suspended

I thought all redemption within IHG is refundable! Even PB!

This is very new to me. I have seen hotel require cancellation one day before arrival but never non-refundable. Please kindly tell us which hotel this is.

It is either a mistake, or something new we did not see before.
Old Jul 18, 2013, 7:38 pm

I remember seeing this type of non-refundable policy once, for a specific period on a HI in DRW (now it's with HHonors). The hotel might have a very busy period, so they might have changed their usual cancellation policy.
Old Jul 19, 2013, 12:47 am

From time to time the Intercontinental-Hotel in Cannes sets similar restrictions so that even their "Best Flexible Rates" become PREPAID and NONREFUNDABLE .....

Last edited by Marevna; Jul 19, 2013 at 12:59 am
Old Jul 19, 2013, 1:04 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

It reads that you have agreed to a non-refundable booking
Old Jul 19, 2013, 1:12 am

Programs: IHG Rewards Club Spire Elite, Hilton HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by hcampana

This certainly means it's non-refundable in this case. But this should simply be matching the cancellation period for Best Flexible for the same night(s) at that hotel, rather than being anything different for Reward Nights.

However you WILL in fact get your points back if you don't turn up (or don't cancel before the deadline on a booking where you're able to) and instead be charged a no-show charge for the first night to your credit card...

Originally Posted by IHG® REWARDS CLUB GLOBAL MEMBERSHIP TERMS AND CONDITIONS
IHG® Rewards Club members who do not cancel their Reward Night reservation by the cancellation deadline and do not use their reservation (no-show) are still subject to a no-show charge for the first night of the reservation, plus tax, per room, billed to the credit card used to guarantee the reservation upon booking. The points redeemed for the no-showed Reward Night reservation will be re-deposited into the member's IHG® Rewards Club account.

Last edited by olympian; Jul 19, 2013 at 3:43 am Reason: Clarity
Old Jul 19, 2013, 3:28 am

Programs: IHG Plat; CC Gold
Without knowing the hotel and the date it is difficult to make a comment, but if you have booked within the cancellation period you would have this.
Old Jul 19, 2013, 4:28 am

I booked a room on points a few month ago on points with the same restrictions. After cancelling I got my points back almost immediately.
Seems their 'rules' are often wrong
Old Jul 20, 2013, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
I would call in these circumstances.
Old Jul 23, 2013, 5:01 am

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
I am sure I have booked the occaisional hotel on paid-flex rates that has a similar 1nights cancel fee on their standard flex t+c terms, so suspect for this hotel this not a temporary peak-season flex T+C's adjustment.

Points bookings are flexible so this hotels amended flex t+c's are inserted into your recent points reservation. I would not expect these modified flex t+c's to apply to your points booking though.

However always safest to email the hotel, as if you do not cancel a points night, points are refunded and you get charged money. The same applies here if room is uncancelable, if you can't use and can't cancel, either canceling or not using would result in points returned and money charged.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.