Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > InterContinental Hotels | IHG One Rewards and Intercontinental Ambassador
Reload this Page >

Starting 2013.1.1, only qualifying points count towards elite status

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Starting 2013.1.1, only qualifying points count towards elite status

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3, 2012, 4:47 pm

Programs: RA Platinum, GoldpointsPlus Elite, HH Gold VIP, Sixt Platinum, *A Gold, TK ElitePlus, Marriott Gold
I find this an improvement too given the benefits are also improved, with the hope that the lousy treatments to Platinums at some hotels will change after it becomes very public that qualification will get tougher.
Old Dec 3, 2012, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Originally Posted by paulmoscow
There are 194 countries in the world besides US and UK, so please stop your endless references to "an easy to get credit card."
^^^^^ Can't agree more - I'm one of those who live in one of the 194 countries in the world

I travel for leisure only and getting status is not easy when you don't have people sponsoring your stay.

The new perks are in Greater China only. I think I prefer PC the way it is.
Old Dec 3, 2012, 6:21 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kleinms
I find this to be an improvement. If one wants to get value for their status then it has to be tougher to achieve. Although, at an average of say 1,500 -2,000 points per night ($150-$200/night) it will take 30-40 nights before one achieves Platinum status, unless you carry a UK or US CC. The value of a potential moderate upgrade and 1beer/coke and internet ain't great when compared to other programs. However, buying gold status for $50 and getting free internet is pretty good for those who can't get the credit card or stay enough nights. No other program offers that value.
Free internet is only for hotels in China. Why can't people read...
Old Dec 3, 2012, 7:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kleinms
buying gold status for $50 and getting free internet is pretty good for those who can't get the credit card or stay enough nights. No other program offers that value.
1. PC Gold status doesn't get you free internet everywhere, just some places. (Same for PC Plat, btw.)

2. Hilton HHonors has a not-much-publicized-beyond-FT way of getting HHonors Gold for just 4 stays that doesn't involve a credit card and works AFAIK at the their properties worldwide.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilto...one-works.html

(And, btw, although the OP of that thread called it a "challenge", it is avilaalbe as soon as you've dropped to HH Silver, even if you were Gold or Diamond the preiovus month.)

And HHonors Gold gives you guarnateed free breakfast at all their properties worldwide and guarnateed unlimited-time free internet (though maybe only wifi or only wired) at all their properties worldwide.

(I don't know how the "free intenet" for PC elites in China actually works, but the "free internet" I've gotten as a PC Plat in Europe is all too often scratch off cards which either require logging out and logging back in to keep their cumulative time to stretch over your stay, or you have to keep going back and going back and going back for more cards.)
Old Dec 3, 2012, 7:05 pm

Programs: Spire RA, 1865 Voyager, Bonvoy Titanium, FB LP, LH SEN.
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.3.5; en-us; U8800Pro Build/HuaweiU8800Pro) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

Free internet means free internet here. No restrictions, no scratch cards (that seems to be a UK thing, and UK is special in many ways...)

As I have said before, those benefits have been consistent here for a long time, so that I have even wondered whether there is some kind of guideline for hotels. Now it is published in writing.
Old Dec 3, 2012, 7:39 pm

Programs: IHG Plat; CC Gold
Originally Posted by Chinatrvl
Free internet means free internet here. No restrictions, no scratch cards (that seems to be a UK thing, and UK is special in many ways...)
Had few hotels over here were there has been free internet, but for most it was not a plat benefit, it was an offering of that particular hotel. Usually access with a log in given on a piece of paper valid for 24 hours, or longer (Edinburgh west and HIX city centre come to mind).

The scratch cards I have seen are where the internet time was bought and provided by a third party supplier, but this has usually been with other hotel chains.

Free internet as a plat is very rare over here.
Old Dec 3, 2012, 11:06 pm
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
Originally Posted by nacho
^^^^^ Can't agree more - I'm one of those who live in one of the 194 countries in the world
+1

No chance to maintain Plat without bonus points. Time to re-visit SPG?
Old Dec 3, 2012, 11:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by nacho
The new perks are in Greater China only. I think I prefer PC the way it is.
If these became standard perks, I would definitely prefer the scheme as mentioned on that site
Old Dec 4, 2012, 2:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Bundy Bear
Free internet would be useful for Platinum members.
+1, wonder if they will roll it out globally. At least it appears that ANY stay as a plat gets free internet, including award stays (esp since they single out Ug's NOT eligible on award, but didn't mention internet)

Originally Posted by Tiki
Who cares? If you have the Chase card, you are PLT anyways!
+1
Old Dec 4, 2012, 4:23 am

Programs: NH PLT+SFC(*G), JL JGC(OW Sapphire), IHG Plat Amb
It looks like that the new "Elite Qualification Points" rule will be applied to all regions.

I saw the remark in membership levels' page:

https://secure.priorityclub.com/hote...mbershipLevels

Beginning January 1, 2013, for purposes of determining Elite Status, Priority Club points are classified as either Elite Qualifying Points or Non-Elite Qualifying Points. See full program Terms & Conditions for more information.
But I couldn't find the details in T&C yet...
Old Dec 4, 2012, 5:28 am

Programs: CX DM, PC RA
This is fantastic news - I will have no problems re-qualifying next year.

Lets hope the benefits are enhanced as a result..................
Old Dec 4, 2012, 9:59 am
Suspended

It does not appear that free Internet is a perk given to either Gold or Platinum members --that could have been a real game changer for many.
Old Dec 4, 2012, 9:59 am

Programs: PC Plat/RA, LH SEN, FB Gold, BA Gold
Originally Posted by FRSI
This is fantastic news - I will have no problems re-qualifying next year.

Lets hope the benefits are enhanced as a result..................
Well, the fact that you will be re-qualified next year is fantastic news indeed.

But why should we hope about benefits enhancements (sic!) as a
result?
Old Dec 4, 2012, 10:46 am

Originally Posted by NJUPINTHEAIR
It does not appear that free Internet is a perk given to either Gold or Platinum members --that could have been a real game changer for many.
You may be jumping the gun here - we are seeing IHG (with their usual flair for technology ) update various pages across their sites, but they haven't finished the updates yet - we should wait to see what the final version of the T&Cs look like.

I hope we do end up with better benefits , although somehow I doubt it - if that was the case, there would be no need for a specific mention of additional benefits for China.

Alternatively, they could be waiting until 2014 when the number of Plats may drop and the cost of implementing the benefits will be lower - I suspect they hope that the new earnings rule will see many people who have requalified for next year drop down in twelve months.

In the end, this may all just be an unplanned reaction to the changes to the Hilton scheme, with IHG seeing an opportunity to change their rules at the same time but still wondering exactly how to do it.
Old Dec 4, 2012, 11:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
I do hope that they don't change anything since being able to 'buy' Plat is a very nice perk itself for IHG. Also their Plat perks are not recognised at ICs.

I'll have a hard time maintaining my status with more than 1 chain since I only travel for leisure, and the only IHG hotel close to me is a CP.

What about perks on award stays? Marriott doesn't distinguish and it's a strong perk for MR.

Also what are they going to do with the Amb programme? The fact is that at the moment free internet is a perk for RAs at ICs - what if all the Plats got it as well? (thanks ag51 for correcting me)

Last edited by nacho; Dec 4, 2012 at 12:08 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.