Wiki Posts
Search

SGN to IC Hotel

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24, 2012, 8:28 am
Original Poster

SGN to IC Hotel

Hi all,

I am staying at the IC Asiana Saigon and am visiting Vietnam for the first time. Heard some stories about being smart with taxi's (sound advice anywhere), but could anyone advise a) which taxi companies to use and b) how much it costs, roughly?

Any responses, tips, or comments are welcome. Thanks in advance.
Old Aug 24, 2012, 9:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Most
Just take one of the official taxis that are in front of the arrivals area. The meter might be slightly higher than some others but hardly any difference. Cannot remember what I paid back in May but it wasn't a lot.
Old Aug 24, 2012, 10:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF/KLM Club 2000 | InterContinental Diamond RA |AMEX Plat | Visa Infinite |Hertz President's Circle
I booked the hotel limousine, which is certainly the smoothest way to go to the hotel, especially for a late night arrival.

I was welcomed by a "Bonjour Nicolas75, et bienvenue au Vietnam!" in French. Elegant and smiling service.

Last edited by nicolas75; Aug 25, 2012 at 6:47 am
Old Aug 24, 2012, 12:14 pm

Programs: AA, UA, DL, HHonors, Priority Club
VINASUN or MAI LINH only. Or you can get a pre-paid voucher at the arrival terminal. From SGN to IC, it shouldn't cost more than 130,000 VND. I know because made the same trip in March.

When staying at the IC, only use the taxis the bell boys get for you. They are all Vinasun and the bell boys will write down the taxi numbers in case anything happens.
Old Aug 24, 2012, 1:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
In the arrivals area, after all formalities, you'll find a number of exchange offices and car hire/taxi outfits. Mai Linh is towards the right-hand end of the array. You can get a voucher for the taxi from there: the staff will tell you where to take your voucher, might even take you out to the dispatcher.

You are going to be paying a couple of $ over the odds, but you will have peace of mind, get fixed up with a taxi very quickly without getting into discussions with taxi drivers.

Mai Linh is one of a couple of taxi companies that trade on their high reputation: something like Bluebird in Indonesia.
Old Aug 24, 2012, 5:14 pm

I am traveling to SGN fairly often and usually stay at the IC.

When exiting the terminal turn left and you will see the official taxi stand. Ignore everybody who asks you 'Taxi?' and go to the (usually short) line there.
Make sure that the meter is turned on and don't accept any offers for a flat fee.
The meter price will be around 100.000 Dong depending on traffic (around 5 US$). Driving time 15 - 40 min.

There are some unlicensed taxies in Saigon where the meter shows absurd numbers. Best way to avoid these is: Look for new, well kept SUVs. Avoid older looking smaller cars. Some of the unlicensed taxis have logos very similar to the better brands, brand alone is not an indication.

The 'fake' Taxis are usually looking for tourist as customers. They wait in front of popular tourist attractions or popular restaurants. Don't take Taxis waiting, flag one down (newer looking well kept SUV) on the street.

Taxis in the hotel queue are ok.
Old Aug 24, 2012, 6:48 pm

Programs: KF Gold, QF Gold, MR Platinum, Accor Platinum, IHG Platinum
All of what Unterwegs wrote are already more than enough.

Just keep on your mind while traveling around the city. I've found that most of Vinasun drivers are inexperienced; and most of them didn't even know some simple places such as Sofitel Hotel at Le Duan and Phuong Trang bus (famous for buying bus tickets to other cities). So rather than asking for directions to their company, they keep mumbling while driving and asking to people on the street. While my experience with Mai Linh was totally perfect !! (6 occasions and all of them are satisfactory)

Keep on your mind that Mai Linh taxi has phone number written 38 38 38 38. There are many fake taxis using similar brand and logos; begin with M but their phone number is different. If you found out the similar taxi logos but with different phone number; just stay away! They are not Mai Linh.
Old Aug 25, 2012, 4:50 am

Programs: TK E+
The taxi queuing system (or lack of the same) is messed up at SGN these days, so I recommend to buy a voucher from one of the taxi stands inside the terminal, before leaving the airport. It cost you 160K VND/7 USD but you get first in line for a taxi. A "normal" trip by the meter, from SGN to IC is 100K to 130K depending on the traffic.

And as others are saying; Stick with Vinasun or Mai Linh. If you buy a taxi voucher at the airport, Saigon Turist and Saigon Air Taxi is ok too, but the price is the same so there is really no reason for not using Vinasun or Mai Linh.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.