Wiki Posts
Search

Intercontinental Manila

Search this Thread

Old Oct 11, 2003, 9:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: TK Elite Plus, FB Platinum, Emirates
Intercontinental Manila

Any comments about this hotel? Rates seem to be very decent and it doesn't look bad from the pictures. Any info is appreciated.
Old Oct 11, 2003, 2:50 pm

It's not bad at all, well located, and rates are indeed attractive. Many larger companies seem to have corporate rates with this I-C, and house their longer-term visitors there.

It may not be the newest or most luxurious, but is the most conveniently located of Makati hotels IMO, being next to a shopping mall.

Upgrades to exec floors are easy to come by.

Quality wise, the Shangri-la is tops, the Mandarin slightly better (I dislike their private cabs, whole hotel feels cramped), the Westin similar, and the Hyatt lesser.
Old Oct 29, 2003, 12:49 pm

Programs: BA Gold, HH Diamond
Stayed there about a year ago. Rooms are clean and nicely furnished, but quite small, small windows. Nicely located in Makati. During the same trip also stayed in the Westin which I would prefer if you don't have to stay in Makati. Westin has a really nice pool and garden area and has really nice views to the Manila bay!
Old Oct 2, 2007, 11:13 am

Hi,

Has anyone had any recent experience staying at the IC Manila?

Appreciate any info, esp for Gold Ambassador ... any upgrades, etc?

As am an SPG Plat & am used to suite upgardes in Asia, am not sure
what to expect from the IC Manila.

Got a week stay in Manila, and am thinking of splitting up with some other hotels ... as it would be a waste of not being able to maximize the Triple-Quadruple Points promo!

Cheers!
Old Oct 2, 2007, 3:33 pm

Programs: BMI/SQ/AFKL/PC RAmbo®/Oyster/B&Q
Originally Posted by harri
Stayed there about a year ago. Rooms are clean and nicely furnished, but quite small, small windows. Nicely located in Makati. During the same trip also stayed in the Westin which I would prefer if you don't have to stay in Makati. Westin has a really nice pool and garden area and has really nice views to the Manila bay!
...and whats more its now a Sofitel and was a bit of a decaying dump in its final months as a Westin.Agree - the pool was one saving grace

Manila Hotel is a nice characterful hotel though- in the grand old style similar to that of The Strand ,Rangoon ,E&O in Penang and Raffles in SIN.
Old Oct 2, 2007, 3:45 pm

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
I'm there three or four times a year. As a Plat Amb, I'm always upgraded to the C-floor, often in a suite. As others have said, it's a pretty good property, but not stellar. The recent refurb did wonders, though. Regretfully, they did not refurb the gym, which has limited equipment and a not-so-nice locker area.
Old Oct 2, 2007, 8:06 pm

Programs: AC Elite, AA Plat, NW Silver, IC Royal Ambassador, Marriott Silver, SPG Gold
I stayed there as an Ambassador a month ago. I got bumped to a suite. Nothing too special about the room, but it was twice the size of the regular room. I didn't book the cheapest rate, I think it was the second cheapest.

The IC is conveniently located for Makati. Other options in the area are the Peninsula, Shangri La, Mandarin, and Renaissance. I prefer the Peninsula for both the rooms & property (and it isn't too much more $$), but it is a pain if you are trying to walk to Glorietta. It is not far, but you have to go through a couple underground walkways. Just across the street from the IC are a number of restaurants, shops, supermarket, taxi stand, and Glorietta mall. It is pretty easy to do anything from there.

Although not part of the rate I purchased club access for around $30 / night for a couple nights. It was the only time I had club access in an IC so I don't know how to compare it, but it was a nice atmosphere with decent appetizers and drinks from 5-8.

I hope that helps, any questions let me know.
Old Feb 6, 2008, 2:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Most
Just had an attempted stay at the IC Manila. Ended up canceling my stay at the IC and went to Mandarin instead.

- No separate Ambassador/Royal Ambassador check in desk
- No instant check in
- First thing that told me that I wouldn’t get club access and that it would cost extra (I know that club access is not part of RA benefits with which I am totally OK with)
- My room wasn’t ready at 1PM and it would take additional half an hour to get it ready – What happened to the guaranteed 8AM Royal Ambassador check in benefit?
- Was offered smoking room – I declined because I don’t smoke

At this point I requested to have a word with the Manager on Duty. While they were trying to locate her I was reading the local English business newspaper and realized that Mandarin and Peninsula were both close to IC. I opened my laptop and requested internet code from the front desk.

By the time they found me the Manager on Duty I had already successfully booked Mandarin instead and requested that she cancels my stay at the IC and get me a taxi.
Old Feb 15, 2009, 10:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Does anyone know whether there are any PC's in the club, or whether club guests get free internet at this property? Thanks!

I'll be spending five nights in Manila next month, and as of now have all five nights booked at the Crowne Plaza. I'm thinking of switching two of those nights to the IC, so would appreciate any recent reviews.
Old Feb 15, 2009, 10:30 pm

Programs: LH SEN, HH, PC Amb, AVIS Plat....
Originally Posted by lucky9876coins
Does anyone know whether there are any PC's in the club, or whether club guests get free internet at this property? Thanks!

I'll be spending five nights in Manila next month, and as of now have all five nights booked at the Crowne Plaza. I'm thinking of switching two of those nights to the IC, so would appreciate any recent reviews.
Hi,

I had a very pleasant stay last May: Booked a junior suite, got upgraded to their second biggest suite with jacuzzi and sauna.

Club lounge was pleasant - we used it for breakfast only. Nice selection of fruit, local seafood specialties and cheese.

So far I have no idea as to how the "new" Amb malefits will apply.

As far as I remember the internet access was without charge in the suite.
Old Feb 15, 2009, 11:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks for the info, bonebendz!^

My room seems to have already been upgraded to a "premier suite." I don't see this listed on the website. Does anyone know what type of a room this is, and also whether it would include club access?

Thanks!
Old Feb 15, 2009, 11:24 pm

Originally Posted by lucky9876coins
Thanks for the info, bonebendz!^

My room seems to have already been upgraded to a "premier suite." I don't see this listed on the website. Does anyone know what type of a room this is, and also whether it would include club access?

Thanks!
Hi,

no idea what a "premier suite" is supposed to be, but I'd guesstimate it is a one bedroom suite - one category above their junior suites.

Even though our suite was not on the club floor, we were given club lounge access. I purchased the Ambassador status upon check in.
The junior suite which we booked was on the club level, so seemingly they did not want to downgrade us. Let me suggest you negotiate or send an email to the manager... I found the staff very cooperative but that was last May....
Old Feb 15, 2009, 11:30 pm

Programs: AA-UA-AS IHG-SPG-Carlson
I thought the new club lounge on top floor was great !
Old Feb 16, 2009, 12:36 am

Programs: BD*G, Priorityclub Platinum Royal Ambassador
Smile IC Manila

Hi,

Just returned last week from 3 weeks in Manila - we did the first week at the CP and the last 2 at the IC. I had a pretty decent stay at the CP a year or so ago, but on comparison wouldn't go back there - I'd stick with the IC.

At both I booked a King bed with Club access - upgraded to a slightly bigger room at the CP (platinum), but in the IC had a lovely suite with jacuzzi/sauna (RA). The service at both is extremely good, although they did remember me at the IC and were extremely attentive. Nice lounge with the usual breakfast, teatime snacks and cocktail hour (6-8). The location as mentioned above is great at the IC - easy to get to Glorietta (just across the road) and Greenbelt just behind.

I stay regularly in Manila and it's always the IC for me - the rates are pretty decent and on a 2/3 week stay I'm always looked after extremely well.

Enjoy your stay!!

Cr4zyfish
Old Feb 16, 2009, 12:47 am

Originally Posted by Cr4zyfish
Hi,
...but in the IC had a lovely suite with jacuzzi/sauna (RA).
Cr4zyfish
...sounds like the one I had
Is this what they would call a "premier suite"?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.